Adding Navigation to non Nav MFT

Before you flame me, I have done the required searches and so on about this topic, however to muddy the waters so to speak I happen to know people at the Assembly Plant that makes the Edges not to be confused with a Dealer. After countless hours of reading on both the OASIS software, Forums and Google I have come to the conclusion that a dealer does not have the ability unless nav was enabled at the factory.

Now as far as I am aware that is because of the IDS and OASIS software restrictions to dealers, but if I had a login for an Assembly Plant Employee then I would have access to the Factory options to adjust and change?! correct?

After reading the Focus and Fusion forums I am convinced that this can clearly be done either by swapping the APIM Module or reflashing it with a program with the same options as your Edge. But, if there is a way to add the Navigation to my MFT without reflashing someone elses VIN and program to my MFT and I could tweak the settings then that could solve my issue?

Again sorry for the amount of questions throughout the post, curious as to thoughts on this whole subject with this new available option of Assembly Plant option not Dealer options.

Edited by Dice213

if that's the case, then it isn't done in the assembly plant either? its done prior to being shipped to them?

Now would that include adding remote start, and turning on the ambient lighting if I had a setup to wire in so it would be adjustable on the MFT?

Edited by Dice213

if that's the case, then it isn't done in the assembly plant either? its done prior to being shipped to them?

Now would that include adding remote start, and turning on the ambient lighting if I had a setup to wire in so it would be adjustable on the MFT?

Remote start can be activated at any dealer, you just need the IDS (or whatever they call it). One member even bought it & activated remote start himself (Sajid.ali).

Navigation, on the other hand, is kind of a one time setup at the factory, once it is set up for "Nav or no-Nav", it cannot be changed.

Edited by omar302

Basically the Nav configuration is linked to the VIN number. The module itself is programmed at the assembly plant, but since it's linked to the VIN, it's not the actually machine on the line that can be programmed to flash with or without Nav. If you disassembled half your car, put it back on the assembly line and ran it through the programmer using a different VIN, you would end up with Nav.

You have to remember that Ford buys individual navigation licenses from their suppliers. That's why they have to control it so tightly. Things like remote start and ambient lighting are controlled by software that is owned by Ford, so they don't need any security measures to protect them

• 1 month later...

I have just talked to a ford dealer around my way and they have a person (don't know who or what company) that they will use to enable the nav on MFT. I don't know what they do but they need the GPS module and it costs $1400 to do this.This company has supposedely done the activation ~12 times. I know i'm not dumping this kinda money but it's nice to know that it is possible

Yeah. i was just mentioning that they would need to buy the module then install and setup the MFT software. Is there a way to tell if i already have the GPS module? It's just the killer price of $1400 to do this that gets me.

Now is when i wish i was really close to a ford tech to have them hook me up on the edge.

You have the module but that module doesn't have the nav software and it doesn't have the flag that says it's supposed to have it. I'm not sure what they're doing to convert it but whatever it is I don't think it's legal, even if it works. And you probably wouldn't be able to update it afterwards. Run away!

Yeah. i was just mentioning that they would need to buy the module then install and setup the MFT software. Is there a way to tell if i already have the GPS module? It's just the killer price of $1400 to do this that gets me.

Now is when i wish i was really close to a ford tech to have them hook me up on the edge.

You're still missing the point. A Ford tech cannot do anything to enable your navigation. You have to have the software "unlocker", which is only available from the supplier and is very closely guarded.

There are only 3 possibilites for the $1400 job.

1. They have contact with an insider who is illegally providing the legitimate unlocker.

2. They have somehow illegally hacked the unlocking software.

3. They use the method that reprograms the nav from an alternate VIN number and will look like the nav is working just long enough for the customer to be happy, but after a short time it will stop working again.

Or just spend $799 and go this route.....

NAV-TV has announced the first add-on kits with Garmin navigation for factory MyFord Touch and MyLincoln Touch Radios.

NAV-TV's NTX54-FORD can add Garmin City Navigator Mapping with turn-by-turn navigation to any Ford or Lincoln vehicle equipped with the MyFord Touch or MyLincoln Touch infotainment system. It allows users to display Garmin navigation onto their existing infotainment screens controlled via the factory touch-screen. The NTX54-FORD may be added to any Ford or Lincoln vehicle those infotainment systems.

More info,here......

http://www.12voltnews.com/2013/09/18/nav-tv-launches-garmin-navigation-integration-for-myford-touch/

Edited by Rondo1

Wow. That should work but that's a lot of hacking and in the end it's still just a Garmin. And it's not portable to another vehicle.

Is there a problem with Garmin? I thought they were considered the best? On the portability side, there's also a Nav-TV NTX54 STANDALONE unit that works on multiple systems. The NTX54-FORD is directly due to the necessary working with Ford/Microsoft Sync. I'm actually quite interested in this offering.....

Is there a problem with Garmin? I thought they were considered the best? On the portability side, there's also a Nav-TV NTX54 STANDALONE unit that works on multiple systems. The NTX54-FORD is directly due to the necessary working with Ford/Microsoft Sync. I'm actually quite interested in this offering.....

What I meant was you could buy a Garmin for less than half of the cost of the kit and it's portable. It won't integrate into the vehicle other than the display.

• Like 1

Seems interesting, but it still doesn't look fully integrated. Looks like it just "takes-over" the touch screen. So it almost certainly won't be able to display the nav section in the cluster, it probably won't be able to turn the radio volume down when giving directions, it probably doesn't use the dead reconing to keep you on the map when you lose GPS signal, it probably has a long, complicated switch between the Garmin screen and the base Ford system and holding the voice button for 3 seconds, c-mon, that's ridiculous!

Someday soon I hope we'll see some real apps that are built on the Ford software rather than hacked into the hardware, but at least this is a start.

Seems interesting, but it still doesn't look fully integrated. Looks like it just "takes-over" the touch screen. So it almost certainly won't be able to display the nav section in the cluster, it probably won't be able to turn the radio volume down when giving directions, it probably doesn't use the dead reconing to keep you on the map when you lose GPS signal, it probably has a long, complicated switch between the Garmin screen and the base Ford system and holding the voice button for 3 seconds, c-mon, that's ridiculous!

Someday soon I hope we'll see some real apps that are built on the Ford software rather than hacked into the hardware, but at least this is a start.

This is what I meant by "it's just a Garmin wired into the touch screen". You don't get any of the integration. It even has a separate speaker.

The best solution would be to allow a phone app to use the screen with an API that allows MFT control - just like the native navigation app. But given how difficult it's been to get phone mfrs/providers to support text messaging I'm not sure that would work. And the auto mfrs might not want to give up that revenue either.

A similar setup using iGo navigation is used in 2013 Ford & Lincoln MFT/MLT equipped vehicles here in the GCC. It is supposedly some kind of agreement between Ford Middle East and some supplier because Ford just won't get their navigation system to work in our region (though other car makes do have factory navigation systems.

I remember also seeing a video of a Korean spec MKZ that also had non factory navigation on the center screen.

The navigation system is passable, but for the money, a stand alone Garmin with map updates is a better option. Also, with that external speaker, when there is voice guidance, the directions being spoken can be picked up the MFT/sync voice commands if the voice button is pressed, in other words, sync will be taking voice commands from the Garmin/iGo navigation system.

• 1 year later...

Hello Everyone,

Sorry to bring up an old thread but i have some pretty exciting, if not old, news. The APIM went out in my girlfriend's edge and much like some of the earlier posts in this thread indicate, I was able to replace it with an APIM from a nav unit and now have factory navigation in my 2012 edge that did not come with it.

This process was very easy. First I located the APIM module on line via a parts locator service. Next I took the VIN number from the vehicle I would be aquiring the APIM from, and checked it online against ford's database to ensure that it had the navigation option. After the part arrived, it was as simple as opening up the dash (super easy, i promise) and replacing the computer with two clip connectors. We are absolutly thrilled that we were able to pick up the APIM for less than $200.

So in closing, you can easily add nav to a non-nav edge. All you need to do is locate a used APIM with nav and swap it out. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Edited by av2600
  • Like 1

Two years ago, I would have been all over this. I do wish I purchased built in nav when I got my car, but I simply find that using my Garmin or my phone has the latest maps (phone more than Garmin) and has never let me down.

Still, looks like a great idea for those that really want it. The only thing I'd be concerned with is if ford ever needs to do a factory master reprogram or replacement APIM for any reason.

and replacing the computer with two clip connectors. We are absolutly thrilled that we were able to pick up the APIM for less than $200.

Great price on the nav unit. Congrats. What did you mean when you stated that you "replaced the computer with two clip connectors "?