H&R install ~3 hours, tips and tricks

IXIVI

Installed the H&R lowering springs on Thursday. Took me just over 3 hours. Hardest part was the upper strut mounts under the hood, until I realized that the plastic windshield cowling comes off and the upper strut bolts then take about 10 seconds to remove.

The lower bolts come off and the strut just slides right out past the rotor. Surprisingly little compression was needed to get the mount unbolted and swap the H&R springs in. Two man job reinstalling the struts - fit the bolts in their holes from the bottom and have a helper thread the nuts on from above to hold the unit in place while you line the bottom up and install the H&R triple C camber bolts!

The rear springs are where I really made up time. The service manual would have you unbolt 8 or 9 things and remove the caliper, rotor, hub, and knuckle. I've attached pictures that prove that process unnecessary.

Basically, just put enough pressure on the arm and spring to relieve the tension on the rear camber bolt and slowly remove the nut locking the adjuster in place , then move to the other side of the arm and spin the adjuster bolt all the way out of its hole. As long as pressure is maintained on the arm just under the spring, the bolt slides out and you slowly lower the jack and then swing the arm down, swap springs and reinstall the bolt and nut. Total time on BOTH rears was less that 40 minutes.

Picture shows the rear camber bolt being backed out (after locking nut was removed from the opposite side) and the arm swinging down for the spring swap.

Easy stuff...

post-26409-0-07187800-1381517802_thumb.jpg

post-26409-0-28864800-1381517830_thumb.jpg

post-26409-0-06103900-1381517877_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Nice job, and thanks for the tips! Your Edge looks great!

I have not lowered mine yet... but its on the list. With your couple of tips especially the rears I will be a little better prepared goin in. And yes removal of the front plastic window cowl is a huge time saver on removal of those top strut bolts! Did you mark those rear adjuster bolts before you loosened and backed them out to lower the arm and drop the stock springs?

Nice job, and thanks for the tips! Your Edge looks great!

I have not lowered mine yet... but its on the list. With your couple of tips especially the rears I will be a little better prepared goin in. And yes removal of the front plastic window cowl is a huge time saver on removal of those top strut bolts! Did you mark those rear adjuster bolts before you loosened and backed them out to lower the arm and drop the stock springs?

The adjuster was already marked (factory?), i just lined it up again when I was done. It didnt matter though, it was still off a ton on the alignment rack, the drop springs pull it all over the place.

The adjuster was already marked (factory?), i just lined it up again when I was done. It didnt matter though, it was still off a ton on the alignment rack, the drop springs pull it all over the place.

Ok..i got it, i just thought the cam adjusters would lose thier spot upon removal of the lower control arm bolt. I was wondering how it felt without an alignment. Most guys on here that did the lowering springs stated they drove it right to the alignment shop for adjustments. I pretty much expected that.

Thanks for the input.

Another update. I pulled the front springs again and removed the rubber isolator at the bottom of strut. Its super dense rubber and about .25" thick, so pulling it out and re-installing the springs gave me that much more drop. Not very noticeable accept that the front and rear wheel gap is now just about identical. Before, leaving the isolator in place, the rear was slightly lower than the front.

Pull that rubber out for an even drop!

Good info. No effect on ride?

No negative effect at all. All positive all the way around.

Just got back from the alignment shop for the second time around though, and after pulling the rubber the alignment seems to be much cleaner. No more pulling all over the road.

• 7 months later...

I just installed my H&R springs and i had a bit of trouble with the front. I had to install the springs upside down otherwise the simply did not fit...not even close. I am assuming H&R painted the label upside down. Has anyone had this problem? The part number painted on the spring is 51605 F. On the coil below it had a H&R logo and F/N. What does F/N stand for?

I,am wondering if I have the wrong part. I had to remove the lower isolator on the front...the bottom of the spring would not properly seat int it.

My vehicle is a 08 MKX AWD in case that makes a difference. Also, I purchased the springs from tirerack.com, they arebreputable and usually know their stuff.

I just installed my H&R springs and i had a bit of trouble with the front. I had to install the springs upside down otherwise the simply did not fit...not even close. I am assuming H&R painted the label upside down. Has anyone had this problem? The part number painted on the spring is 51605 F. On the coil below it had a H&R logo and F/N. What does F/N stand for?

I,am wondering if I have the wrong part. I had to remove the lower isolator on the front...the bottom of the spring would not properly seat int it.

My vehicle is a 08 MKX AWD in case that makes a difference. Also, I purchased the springs from tirerack.com, they arebreputable and usually know their stuff.

Same here. H&R printed upside down.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Another update. I pulled the front springs again and removed the rubber isolator at the bottom of strut. Its super dense rubber and about .25" thick, so pulling it out and re-installing the springs gave me that much more drop. Not very noticeable accept that the front and rear wheel gap is now just about identical. Before, leaving the isolator in place, the rear was slightly lower than the front.

Pull that rubber out for an even drop!

I know this is old, but i did H&R's on mine a while back and i cant stand the larger wheel gap in front and am debating removing the rubber insulator. Any update on how it has rode (noises, ride quality, etc.) after doing so and putting some miles on it? any input is appreciated!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is old, but i did H&R's on mine a while back and i cant stand the larger wheel gap in front and am debating removing the rubber insulator. Any update on how it has rode (noises, ride quality, etc.) after doing so and putting some miles on it? any input is appreciated!

Just over 20k miles since install, no issues. I couldn't feel a difference in the ride after removal, and it hasn't made a sound.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...