How to disable horn warning?

I'd like to disable the horning warning function that beeps the horn twice

when leaving the Edge running and stepping away from the vehicle.

Has anyone had success in this area?

Also would like to reprogram the turn signal function that flashes

the signal (only) three times when activated by moving the turn signal

lever partially.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thx

mardyn

I'd like to disable the horning warning function that beeps the horn twice

when leaving the Edge running and stepping away from the vehicle.

Has anyone had success in this area?

Also would like to reprogram the turn signal function that flashes

the signal (only) three times when activated by moving the turn signal

lever partially.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thx

mardyn

You can't reprogram the turn signal.

If you're talking about the IA warning that no keyfob is detected, you have 3 options:

Leave the door open.

Turn off the vehicle.

Leave the key in the car.

With so many other owner/driver adjustable settings available, how the heck could

Ford not include an on/off option for these two most irritating functions.

I honestly believe a third grader could have done a better job on some of the design features

included on my Edge...

yeah, I'm mad.

mardyn

While I totally agree it should be a user setting, there are 3 perfectly viable workarounds to avoid the honk. So I don't quite understand why you're so mad. And what's the issue with the turn signal? That's one of the more useful features on my 2013 Fusion although it takes about 2 weeks to get used to it.

mardyn, funny you should mention the turn signal issue. And Akirby, the second someone says "you can't" someone else does so just to say "oh yes we can"

These "computers" are just that and they run off a modifiable OS. We know this because we keep getting updates that change its behaviour. The modifications we the buying public just don't rank high enough to get the attention of anyone at Ford's design team nor an enterprising programmer that could reverse engineer the OS and its access.

mardyn, I was thinking 5 or 6 blinks. 3 is not enough unless you dart quickly into the adjacent lane. IMO.

Well of course it's software, but as of right now I don't think anyone has actually hacked the software to be able to make such changes, and given Ford's security it would be very difficult without some inside help and that's not going to happen.

I could see making the number of blinks configurable, but if 3 blinks aren't enough then just use the permanent blinker and turn it off when you're done. I use 3 all the time and it seems more than sufficient to me unless I'm asking for someone to let me in.

Same issue Explorer owners faced here. It seems it was something new end of 2012 or start of 2013 model years.

And this was suggested as might be a reason.

That makes a lot of sense as to why it changed. How you can get out of a running car and not realize it was still running is beside me though. For a hybrid where the engine is on but not running it makes more sense.

However, my 2013 Fusion has an automatic engine shutoff after 30 minutes, and you have to disable it specifically each time the car is started. To me that's a much bigger safety net.

To me it's more about knowing that you walked away with the key - in case you weren't planning to come back. The engine will continue to run and there is a warning in the left hand screen about no key, but you could easily drive off without a key and if you didn't see the 20 second warning to restart the vehicle without the key after you shut it off you'd be stranded.

Thanks for all the great comments in this thread.

IMO, the turn signal should flash a minimum of 5 times and probably 6... my driving style

dictates that I'm not darting around in traffic anywhere quick enough to do it within 3 flashes

of the signal.

Solution: Make it driver programable, 3-4-5-6 or 10, what ever, just give us a choice.

The horn warning is irritating to me as well, I know when I'm out of the vehicle, I know where the keys are,

I don't need a damn (loud) horn honking to remind me. (My Lexus GS uses a much more friendly, short chirp

of an exterior warning tone... no obnoxious horn honking.)

Solution: Again, make it an option, on or off... Give us a choice.

I generally like my Edge, but there are so many small irritants that just overwhelm one's sensiblilities.

I originally bought this vehicle for my (78y/o) Mother, but the overly complex Sync System and other electronics

features have intimidated her so much that she won't drive it... hence, she's now in my Lexus and I'm in the Edge.

The Lexus also has a lot of touch screen electronics and systems, but are much simpler to operate and

with a better designed user interface. She's happy as a clam in that car.

btw.. I'm a Ford guy at heart, and have owned many Ford products including the vaunted Ford GT supercar... so

I have high expectations when I purchase a new vehicle, it's just sad when they don't live up to those high levels.

Again, thanks for all the help and ideas with my Ford Edge.

mardyn

Edited by mardyn

Can you provide some examples of what is so much more difficult about the MFT system versus the Lexus system? Are there specific tasks that are harder to accomplish? Or is it just harder to navigate the menus?

Is the home screen confusing because it doesn't present a traditional menu of buttons for the different functions?

I have my phone paired and a usb drive for music. The right screen is set to autoclimate temp control. I will occasionally flip it to Navigation to check the speed limit or if I want the Entertainment screen on the main screen. I leave the main screen on Home. I use the right D-pad to change the temp. I use the steering wheel controls to change volume, tracks or Sirius stations. I use voice control to control the usb music (playlists, tracks, artists) and to make phone calls. I use the right D-pad to answer a call or read a text message. I use voice control to make a phone call. If I want to change audio sources other than USB I go to the Entertainment screen and hit one button. If I want to use navigation I use a voice command or go to the Destination screen and use the normal menu.

I have an older Edge with touchscreen Navigation and sync and I don't find MFT any more difficult to use and in some ways it's a lot better. So I just don't understand why so many folks hate it. I'm not bashing, I'm genuinely trying to understand why it's so confusing and irritating to some folks. Maybe I'm missing something. I understand frustration with it being slow or not working but those problems seem to be fixed now.

I guess some people just don't like MFT.

I find the infotainment system in my father's '13 ES350 to be very awkward. MFT (or MLT) to be straight forward. You just tap what you want instead of using a mouse-wannabe joystick that needs a lot of concentration or you'll overshoot what you need to click, and often have to go through several menus to get it.

MFT/MLT's problems where the earlier versions in addition to being slow. Otherwise it is simpler than other systems.

Way off topic from horn warning but I'd like to comment for those who actually like MFT... in my opinion MFT sucks. It's not the level of technology (I'm an IT Director so I can live with technology) but it's technology just for the sake of technology with no improvement of the driving experience. My '11 Mustang has the electronics package with 8" touchscreen and navigation and it is vastly superior to the MFT in my wife's Edge in so many ways. For one, I still have real buttons and knobs that I can use without taking my eyes off the road to look at the touchscreen. For another, it has REAL GAUGES (well, as real as modern cars get these days since they don't report real-time conditions). I won't talk about SYNC which I'm sure is somehow an acronym for "planned disobedience" in both vehicles. But in the Mustang I can do everything I need to while driving without using SYNC or the touchscreen. I was pleased to hear Ford's announcement that they have listened to their customers and will be returning to real tactile controls (instead of or in addition to the touchscreen) for most functions in the next generation of MFT.

On a related subject - the electronic turn signal switch is stupid. It provides no discernible improvement in function over mechanical signal switches that have been around for 80 years. The automatic three flashes is a useless gimmick. Mechanical switches have had the lane change feature since the 60s, so all you have to do is hold the lever up or down while changing lanes and then let it go. You get as many flashes as you need for the time it takes you to change lanes (yes, I know the electronic one can do the same thing... but how is that an improvement?) Six months of ownership and I still find myself checking the dash to see if the signals cancelled because there is no reassuring click of the mechanical lever returning to the neutral (off) position. And yet the electronic switch takes so much effort to engage that I frequently end up flashing the high beams and it feels like the GM switches of old that felt and sounded like they were about to snap off.

Push button start is another answer to the question nobody asked. Was it really that much more difficult to insert and turn a key? I'll admit I like not needing to dig out a key to unlock doors when my arms are full. But once I've dropped my stuff in the back, there would be no problem using a key to start the vehicle. And that would certainly resolve the horn honking issue.

Thanks for letting me rant.

• Like 1

Why do you need the touchscreen while you're driving? I don't. I can do everything I need to do from steering wheel controls or an occasional voice command. And other than the big volume knob you still have to take your eyes off the road to see which button to press or read the screen.

Some people like simple things and that's fine. Others like gadgets and conveniences.

There are a number of functions that cannot be performed In an MFT equipped Edge without using either the touch screen, the non-tactile flat touch controls (just as bad), or the disobedient voice controls. For example, fan speed, interior temperature, rear window defogger, seat heater, radio preset selection, audio source, etc. I can do all of those in my Mustang without ever taking my eyes off the road because it has real buttons that move and knobs that turn in addition to the touch screen. Sure, you can use the steering wheel controls for some of those but you have to watch the menus next to the speedometer unless you memorize how many presses in each direction are necessary.

I have nothing against gadgets and convenience but MFT is gadgets without convenience. It is Ford's attempt to impress people in the showroom. Done properly, those gadgets can be made available without the distracting interface.

A couple days late to this thread, but the horn honk is a safety feature that is about to be federally mandated. So it's not going to be one that can be turned off.

The turn signal blinks is a configurable option, just not to anybody that doesn't have insider access to the software. The 2011-2013 Fiesta had it configurable to 1 blink or 3 blinks, but for 2014 that feature was removed.

TheWizard, on 03 Nov 2013 - 05:30 AM, said:

There are a number of functions that cannot be performed In an MFT equipped Edge without using either the touch screen, the non-tactile flat touch controls (just as bad), or the disobedient voice controls. For example, fan speed, interior temperature, rear window defogger, seat heater, radio preset selection, audio source, etc. I can do all of those in my Mustang without ever taking my eyes off the road because it has real buttons that move and knobs that turn in addition to the touch screen. Sure, you can use the steering wheel controls for some of those but you have to watch the menus next to the speedometer unless you memorize how many presses in each direction are necessary.

I have nothing against gadgets and convenience but MFT is gadgets without convenience. It is Ford's attempt to impress people in the showroom. Done properly, those gadgets can be made available without the distracting interface.

I agree that MFT needs a lot of improvement. But I just can't understand how anyone can adjust the (Fan speed, interior temp, rear defrost & seat heater) without even looking where the buttons are! Apparently some people have super memory & hand position/location coordination!

Radio preset & Audio source can be done through the steering wheel controls, so can be done without really taking eyes off the road.

By the way, with MFT, YOU CAN adjust fans speed, interior temp, rear defrost, most (if not all) audio controls (including radio presets) using voice commands. which is true "hands free" operation.