What have you done to/with your Edge/MKX today?

Does anyone have the divided console like I do?

My 2011 MKX does. Useless complication if you ask me. If I'm not mistaken, all 2011-2012 & early 2013 MKX have it. Late build 2013 models & 2014-2015 switched to a single piece armrest with a slight re-design of the cup holders.

Edited by omar302
  • Like 1

Bought one of these today:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/b017saa78o/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=utf8&psc=1

Car makers have quit putting under hood lights on their cars. Mostly because folks never look under their hoods anymore especially when its dark. I gotta' have a under hood light. Looks pretty bright in the pix. We'll see. Even though it specifies its for a Tacoma its just a led strip with a fused pin switch - should be pretty easy to install.

Edited by chefduane
  • Like 2

Bought one of these today:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/b017saa78o/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=utf8&psc=1

Car makers have quit putting under hood lights on their cars. Mostly because folks never look under their hoods anymore especially when its dark. I gotta' have a under hood light. Looks pretty bright in the pix. We'll see. Even though it specifies its for a Tacoma its just a led strip with a fused pin switch - should be pretty easy to install.

Post pictures of the installation when you are done. This is something I might like to do as well.

Got the under hood light installed today. Gotta' wait till it gets dark to check it out. Had to do a little ciphering on getting the wiring run and the position of the pin switch. The switch is a ground activated switch - when the switch makes a ground the light comes on. Most of the under hood shroud and interior panels are plastic (not complaining - they are pretty solid) and the pin needs to be mounted on a metal surface so when it closes it grounds. The other option was to actually mount a regular switch and just turn it ON when needed. I can always swap the switch out if I want but I think I'm going to like it as is. :happy feet:

• Like 1

Hood LED3

Hood LED2

Hood LED1

Pix of the under hood light I installed today.

Pic 1 (top) is of the engine compartment from the drivers side. The LED strip can be seen mounted on the underside of the hood. The plunger/pin switch can be seen on the lower right just in front of the fuse box and just behind one of the façade/shroud bolts.

Pic 2 (middle) is of the engine compartment from the front. The LED wires are routed behind the heat shroud and down the right side. I put them through a cable management tube for some protection. It can be seen dropping down from below the heat shield. It runs below the fuse box then up to the pin switch.

Pic 3 (bottom) is again of the engine compartment. My finger is on the pin switch. Hot from the LED strip is run through an inline blade fuse connector and directly to 12v. Ground is run to the back of the pin switch. When the pin is depressed (hood closed) the circuit is open and no light. When the hood is raised, the plunger spring raises the pin and is grounded and the circuit is completed. LET THERE BE LIGHT! I had to take some time to adjust the pin switch height to get the hood to close down on it. But I am pretty happy with the results for $25 with wiring, fuse connex and fuse, plunger switch and self adhesive LED strip.

Edited by chefduane
  • Like 6

Chefduane - I was considering doing this too for a hood light. Back in the day, the older Chevy's had a small mounted retractable light that you could also pull from the housing and place wherever you wanted when working. You can still find them on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/60S-70S-80S-CHEVY-TRUCK-FORD-MOPAR-JEEP-UNDER-HOOD-RETRACTABLE-TROUBLE-LIGHT-/232323282318?fits=Make%3AChevrolet&hash=item36178bf58e:g:7ncAAMXQgfZRCYIR&vxp=mtr.

Good idea but now pretty old school with the brightness of LED's. But I was thinking, isn't there already a hood ajar switch that you could of wired to for on/off? Just curious. I see it in the parts list as HOOD SWITCH - FORD (1X4Z-14018-BA). Think it mounted on the fenderwell.

• Like 1

Pedro, hmmm.. good question. I've never noticed a hood ajar indicator on the dash. I'll check it out later today.

EDIT: Just went through the manual and it makes no mention of a Hood Ajar indicator on my '11 Limited.

Edited by chefduane
  • Like 2

Pedro, hmmm.. good question. I've never noticed a hood ajar indicator on the dash. I'll check it out later today.

EDIT: Just went through the manual and it makes no mention of a Hood Ajar indicator on my '11 Limited.

That is a good question. I think I'll try this and see what happens.

Upon researching the Manual :clapping:, an ajar hood condition will not allow the remote start function to work. Also, if the remote lock/alarm function is invoked while the hood is ajar the vehicle will not lock itself nor arm the alarm and a double chirp will serve as notification of the non-lock/non alarmed condition.

That's great, but if the hood is ajar will the car start by someone depressing the ignition button? Dunno. And the Manual doesn't appear to make any mention of that. And, if one is simply driving down the road and the hood accidentally becomes ajar there apparently is no dash indicator for that.

Edited by chefduane
  • Like 2