What have you done to/with your Edge/MKX today?

Wife left the parking lights on all night earlier in the week. My battery tender didn't have enough to wake it from the dead (didn't really expect it to), borrowed a battery charger from work & let it sit for a few days on a 12v 2A charge. That gave me time to think about it. With all the fuss about battery life lately, what were the odds that it would my battery would fail during the first cold snap (ohio). I didn't want to spend the money, but the original oem battery lasted 1.5 years. With everyone saying that batteries last about 2 years, I didn't want to take a chance. Brand new, 760CC AGM battery from Advance Auto installed & i have piece of mind. This sucker is massive compared to the oem one. I had to wiggle a few things around to get it to fit, but she's in.

Down here, you almost have to budget for batteries because of the heat. My last battery was from O'Reilly's and has a 5 year warranty and has 850 CC. On my last Edge, I had an Optima Yellow Top.

Edited by PrinzII
  • Like 1

The last 2 Fords that i had, batteries failed under 3 years but over 1 year of ownership new. Dealership wouldn't replace either stating that is was over 12 months 12,000 miles & it's considered a wear item not covered under the 3/36,000 bumper to bumper.

Didn't attempt to take it back to the dealership because it probably would have tested fine as i left it on the battery charger for 2 days prior to an hour & a half trip to the dealership (different dealership than the ones the denied the 2 previous claims, hence why i drive further for better service).

• Like 1

Down here, you almost have to budget for batteries because of the heat. My last battery was from O'Reilly's and has a 5 year warranty and has 825 CC. On my last Edge, I had an Optima Yellow Top.

My OEM one was only 550CCA,so i hope this holds up better than the oem & can take an 'accidental' drain or 2 before being replaced

• Like 1

One of the biggest problems I've faced in the heat of summer was evaporation of the water out of a battery. The following video by EricTheCarGuy details tracking down leakage current across the top of a battery, adding water and checking the connections. Good basic stuff (except I would use the Solar BA-5 or BA-7 as the loaf tester).

• Like 1

Thanks. Mine was a "7", changed it to "9" for 4-flashes, 2 days later returned it to stock as I couldn't get used to the extra flash :).

Well I put a 1000 miles of freeway with 5 blinks and it is working for me. I tend hit the blinker and then shoulder check. Sometimes there is someone really close and it takes a bit to change lanes.

I was going to do the reverse passenger side mirror tilt, but using the 3rd seat preset seem like a good idea.

• Like 1

Thanks for the follow up! Besides the secure idle condition, do you know what other features can be enabled/disabled for "police mode"? If given the option, I would prefer to lock out the transmission when I'm not in the car. Sometimes I'll leave it running while I run back into the house or something. This would be a good extra security measure.

Is it actually possible to have the mirror tilt down for reverse, or just wishful thinking?

Sorry for delayed response. The security mode does lock the transmission in park. You can't shift it without the Fob in the car.

The mirror trick works on the Explorer, thats where I found these settings. So I think it will work.

• Like 1

Here are the things I recently got done to my Edge. Pictures attached below.

• Vinyl Wrapped Front Grill, Bottom Front Skirt, Rear Bottom Skirt
  • Replaced H11 Headlight Bulbs to DDM LED Bulbs
  • Swapped out Halogen Puddle Lights w/LED's
  • Swapped out Halogen License Plate Bulbs w/LED's
  • Tinted Front Windows 30%
  • Added Front LED Turn-signal Bulbs

Coming soon; H&R Lowering Springs, Adding Front Factory 180 Degree Camera, Winter Interior Mats, Interior Qi Wireless Charger for iPhone X

Thanks for looking!

post-47866-0-89269700-1505867912_thumb.jpg

post-47866-0-43378900-1505867929_thumb.jpg

post-47866-0-60945200-1505867949_thumb.jpg

post-47866-0-56250900-1505867962_thumb.jpg

post-47866-0-76730700-1505867976_thumb.jpg

post-47866-0-32589500-1505868014_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Here are the things I recently got done to my Edge. Pictures attached below.

• Vinyl Wrapped Front Grill, Bottom Front Skirt, Rear Bottom Skirt
  • Replaced H11 Headlight Bulbs to DDM LED Bulbs
  • Swapped out Halogen Puddle Lights w/LED's
  • Swapped out Halogen License Plate Bulbs w/LED's
  • Tinted Front Windows 30%
  • Added Front LED Turn-signal Bulbs

Coming soon; H&R Lowering Springs, Adding Front Factory 180 Degree Camera, Winter Interior Mats, Interior Qi Wireless Charger for iPhone X

Thanks for looking!

Did you get turn signal LEDs with those fat resistors or did you disable the hyperflash in your BCM?

• Like 1

Ran a Vehicle Health Report just for the heck of it. Found out there was a Field Service Action on the APIM that extends the warranty period for MY's '11-'14. FSA #12M02.

I just had my Edge in for service so I assume this was checked but probably not. Regardless, I've had no APIM issues but those that do may want to check this out.

Also, got a weird "Brake Service Check" on the Brake Warning and Parking Brake Warning lights. Says to bring the car in for service or check brake fluid level. Level looks good and again, I just had it in for service (Trac Cntl, and Brake Service lights were lit) and all is well. Maybe they just didn't reset the warning flag. I did an OBDII and there are no codes. I think I'll just keep an eye on it as I have no brake issues and a quick underneath check shows no fluid anywhere.

That is all.

• Like 1

I did an OBDII and there are no codes. I think I'll just keep an eye on it as I have no brake issues and a quick underneath check shows no fluid anywhere.

A regular OBDII scanner (at least most of them) would not read codes set by modules other than the PCM (a check engine light). Use ForScan with a compatible adapter to read the codes set the other modules. Also, from my experience with my MKX, the ABS/Trac. Control light sometimes comes on for no apparent reason while disconnecting/connecting the battery or resetting the trouble codes, reseting the codes again or a battery disconnect would clear it immediately or a even an engine/ignition restart does, reading the code while it is lit reveals some sort of miscommunication error (which I think is due to the power being cut-off).

• Like 1

Chefduane - I also have a 2011 and your post made me look that up on my Edge also. It does show as open for me too. But when I attempt to look up FSA 12M02 (SB-10052069-8195), it says it limits repairs to 5 years from the warranty start date (which would imply we're no longer covered). Did you find a later supplement?

I'm not having any issues, but would like the comfort of knowing it would be if ever needed

• 2 weeks later...

Over the weekend I added some satin black vinyl hood accents and lightly tinted the two triangle DRL's and the little side mirror lights. The 3M design line knifeless tape makes doing shapes or any cuts incredibly easy without having to worry at all about damaging the paint, awesome stuff! I also wrapped the roof extension on the rear hatch so the entire top of the car is black except for the shark fin antenna.

Roof Extension   Black Gloss Vinyl

Edited by roots57
  • Like 3

That looks bad as*. Great job. I realy like the hood accents .

I tried the hood first with gloss black, but I didn't like how it came out, plus my pattern for the shape profile was off a bit. It took me like 5 pattern iterations before I got the shape right. I only wanted the two hood ridges wrapped. After I got the shape right and switched to satin black film instead, it came out pretty good. Oh and I borrowed the rear roof extension wrap idea from you, so thanks!

• Like 2

That 3M design line knifeless tape is the only way to go.

The 3M design line knifeless tape makes doing shapes or any cuts incredibly easy without having to worry at all about damaging the paint, awesome stuff!

3M knifeless tape is the only way to go. It is how mine was done. Everything except the door handles, front logo and headlights. They were done by hand.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So....I did this last week.

I have wanted to install this for about 6 years now. Finally decided to go for it and it has been fun so far. Don't really care about what it is supposed to do...I like the sound.

It is giving off a little whistle, but I'm sure that is because the stock exhaust cant handle all of the extra air coming into the engine. It almost sounds like a turbo blow off.

So far, so good.

post-20945-0-44401300-1507997873_thumb.jpg

post-20945-0-22834600-1507997888_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cellbine
  • Like 1