What have you done to/with your Edge/MKX today?

Im wondering how much of an improvement the new suspension upgrades on the ST will be..and, if they do make a substantial improvement over the stock Sport set up, will they be transferable to previous years?

It looks like it wasn't taken too much further compared to the current Sport apart from more damping and roll stability control. The ride height looks the same in the photos and if I got an ST that is the first thing I'd change, hopefully the H&R's still fit, but they would probably make some if not, they offer two different spring options and coil-overs for the Focus ST.

It looks like they finally put larger brakes on it though, it was a must for this!

Edited by roots57

I like that response.

Nick, so I'm wrapping my front splitter (I guess you can call it that) in carbon fiber vinyl this weekend. Didn't you wrap yours too? I'm wondering if I should remove it or wrap it in place. Most of the time its better to leave things like this on so it doesn't move around while you try to wrap, if you can that is. With this I'm not sure what to do, maybe you have some advice to offer? I'm probably doing the side skirts (lower molding) also if I have enough material leftover, but those I'll do those in place for sure.

When I had my wrap done I asked about wrapping the splitter in carbon and the tech told me that because of the texture of the plastic the wrap would have problems adhering and he advised against it. I guess he did not want the liability , but by doing it yourself there is no liability problem if it does not stick. I am interested in your results, I hope it works as I will have mine done as well.

• Like 1

It wont stick to thay area as xtra said. I think there is a pic of my car on forum but its photoshopped

Nick, so I'm wrapping my front splitter (I guess you can call it that) in carbon fiber vinyl this weekend. Didn't you wrap yours too? I'm wondering if I should remove it or wrap it in place. Most of the time its better to leave things like this on so it doesn't move around while you try to wrap, if you can that is. With this I'm not sure what to do, maybe you have some advice to offer? I'm probably doing the side skirts (lower molding) also if I have enough material leftover, but those I'll do those in place for sure.

When I had my wrap done I asked about wrapping the splitter in carbon and the tech told me that because of the texture of the plastic the wrap would have problems adhering and he advised against it. I guess he did not want the liability , but by doing it yourself there is no liability problem if it does not stick. I am interested in your results, I hope it works as I will have mine done as well.

• Like 1

The current Sport has a Sport tuned suspension. Notice it says sport tuned suspension and not ST tuned suspension

Im wondering how much of an improvement the new suspension upgrades on the ST will be..and, if they do make a substantial improvement over the stock Sport set up, will they be transferable to previous years?

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll look into it a bit more, maybe I can use a tactifier and get away with it. I'll let you know how it goes. If I do have success, I'll be doing the side skirts also, maybe even the middle section of the rear splitter. I got the ideas from the Webasto Edge, has all the pieces I want to do wrapped in CF vinyl. I suppose it doesn't have to hold up very long if it's just got to survive for a couple of shows. Then again who knows what they did for surface prep.

Edited by roots57
  • Like 1

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll look into it a bit more, maybe I can use a tactifier and get away with it. I'll let you know how it goes. If I do have success, I'll be doing the side skirts also, maybe even the middle section of the rear splitter. I got the ideas from the Webasto Edge, has all the pieces I want to do wrapped in CF vinyl. I suppose it doesn't have to hold up very long if it's just got to survive for a couple of shows. Then again who knows what they did for surface prep.

I didn't expect anything to stick to the front splitter either, but that is where i put a twin turbo decal (you can kind of see it in my avatar) and it has lasted through several power washes and shows no signs of lifting. obviously a decal is probably different than a wrap, but so far so good for the last 4 months or so. no prep was necessary.

• Like 1

Yea I'm gona clean and degrease it really well and give it a shot. I'll probably try a small test piece just to feel the level of adhesion I'm getting first. As long as that seems ok, I'm gona try. I also bought a laser thermometer so I can properly post heat it after, this way it has its best chance for holding up.

Edited by roots57
  • Like 1

your gonna need this and it's going to be a nightmare when you go to remove whether it sticks of not

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Tape-Primer-94-Vinyl/dp/B01IDXRADK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1515890410&sr=8-3&keywords=3m+94+primer

Yea I'm gona clean and degrease it really well and give it a shot. I'll probably try a small test piece just to feel the level of adhesion I'm getting first. As long as that seems ok, I'm gona try. I also bought a laser thermometer so I can properly post heat it after, this way it has its best chance for holding up.

• Like 1

I’m pretty sure the guys who tuned the Ford GT, Raptor and Mustang GT350 will do more than just stiffen the suspension.

If the ride height was adjusted, I'd believe the suspension to be different, but we are also in the age of profit so until parts # are different or some engineer gets asked the questions, I'm going with it's a carry over suspension!

• Like 1

your gonna need this and it's going to be a nightmare when you go to remove whether it sticks of not

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Tape-Primer-94-Vinyl/dp/B01IDXRADK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1515890410&sr=8-3&keywords=3m+94+primer

I know man, I saw a video of a vinyl job where at ton of that primer was used on a bumper cover and it was a nightmare to strip...I'm hoping I don't have to use something like that...I've got a couple of other ideas tho...its not the end of the world for me if it gets ruined eventually, it's only a $60 part to replace, I honestly just do these extra appearance mods in part because I really enjoy the relaxation and alone time of working on my car...thanks as always

• Like 2

If the ride height was adjusted, I'd believe the suspension to be different, but we are also in the age of profit so until parts # are different or some engineer gets asked the questions, I'm going with it's a carry over suspension!

Exactly what I thought...the ride height was still the same, and the only other info I could find was that they changed the damping, but without a ride height adjustment that won't make much of a difference, especially compared to the current model on H&Rs. The transmission and how responsive the new paddle shifting is...these are the two things I am most curious about, because along with the brakes, its the current sports biggest deficiencies IMO...they did upgrade the brakes a bit too

Edited by roots57
  • Like 2

I know man, I saw a video of a vinyl job where at ton of that primer was used on a bumper cover and it was a nightmare to strip...I'm hoping I don't have to use something like that...I've got a couple of other ideas tho...its not the end of the world for me if it gets ruined eventually, it's only a $60 part to replace, I honestly just do these extra appearance mods in part because I really enjoy the relaxation and alone time of working on my car...thanks as always

yeah I just got the vinyl in to change my interior color scheme and to wrap my audi's chrome. Sadly, I don't have an Edge to work on and it may not even get wrapped at this point. May just go back to stock completely and wait it out to see what happens with lemon.

I detail and wrap for that relaxation also man. I've got a f150 in for a paint correction and ceramic coating the body/wheels/glass

26734286_10213127556196927_2831464136212

26230653_10213127548236728_5343453758329

26804423_10213127548156726_4213619401027

• Like 1

yeah I just got the vinyl in to change my interior color scheme and to wrap my audi's chrome. Sadly, I don't have an Edge to work on and it may not even get wrapped at this point. May just go back to stock completely and wait it out to see what happens with lemon.

I detail and wrap for that relaxation also man. I've got a f150 in for a paint correction and ceramic coating the body/wheels/glass

Did either of you guys remove the exhaust bezels? i know someone here did so they could be wrapped or something, and i think it was one of you two. I'm fabricating a 2.5" exhaust for it and as it turns out, those bezels aren't large enough to get a 2.5" tailpipe through.

my original plan was to put staggered quad tips on it, hanging out of the bezels slightly. after buying all the parts before measuring (because after all, I was more excited about the project than actually planning it out) the bezels won't allow for a 2.5" pipe to hang out of the back. so I have a 2 options...

I'm either going to cut off the bottom of the bezels, and wrap them/paint them black, and then put the quad tips on

OR

I'm going to go extreme. I think I can weld a plate to the thin metal piece inside the bezel, and paint the whole area, to eliminate the exhaust cutout entirely. Then I'm thinking of making it a center exit, like the corvette

11987_4_.jpg

or i can put some space between them, like the bmw m3

Matte-Black-BMW-E92-M3-Supercharged-Proj .

either way, I can make the cutout, and put a nice bezel or trim piece in there and make it look like it belongs. obviously more labor intensive, but way more unique.

Nick, i know you wanted to go 3" exhaust at some point. As long as you're not planning to have the exhaust show out of the back, you'll be fine, because the current tailpipe out of the muffler is 2.5", it just hangs inside a bit for clearance. but if i'm going to put the effort in to make a custom exhaust, i want people to see it!

.these are the two things I am most curious about, because along with the brakes, its the current sports biggest deficiencies IMO...they did upgrade the brakes a bit too

I was doing some research and I found that the ST comes with upgraded brakes standard and has a even better set as an option. 6 pot fronts and 4 pot rears perhaps as the option?

Did either of you guys remove the exhaust bezels? i know someone here did so they could be wrapped or something, and i think it was one of you two. I'm fabricating a 2.5" exhaust for it and as it turns out, those bezels aren't large enough to get a 2.5" tailpipe through.

I took mine off for wrapping, I'm pretty sure nick did as well, It would be very difficult to wrap them in place. They come off fairly easily, just 4 screws. It definitely looks like something is missing without them on, maybe it would look ok with twin pipes filling the void on each side though

I was just thinking, the inside portion of the exhaust bezels has quite a big diameter, much larger than 2.5" so if you stayed with 2 tips, they'd still fit inside the bezels, even 3" pipe would probably fit. It just changes to the flatter shape at the outlet

Edited by roots57