What have you done to/with your Edge/MKX today?

Was taking my Edge in to my shop today to have them do a suck/fill on my PTU and remembered I had purchased Motorcraft plugs and an upper intake plenum gasket for when I did plugs. I figured I might as well have them do everything so I'm getting the PTU fluid changed, plugs, and a plenum gasket done all at once. Be good to go tomorrow. Nice to get this done before a trip down to Galveston later this month.

• Like 1

Aside from the fact I don't really see value in the HM oil by way of additives like moly or ZDDP anyway, the seal swellers will wear down seals faster than they would otherwise, and thus leaks will happen faster too. This is a gradual process of course, one OC probably won't do it. But once the seal(s) start leaking, you will be in for major repair bills.

That 75K might apply to engines from 20+ years ago, it certainly does not now. You would be better off using a slightly higher viscosity oil if it comes to that, instead of an HM labeled oil.

Go here to macbwt's virgin oil testing comparison sheet and see for yourself what difference if any between Mobil1 and Mobil1 HM ...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oTuPwZHKoSqFLClaZrBhMh9D5vpX0VhLZrmVdLyFnbE

I agree its probably not needed. M-1 advertises it for vehicles over 75k. I've got 90k on my AWD LTD. Do you really think it will do harm?

Ok, total bill on what I mentioned above was $315.97. The invoice lists PTU drain/fill was $75, sparkplugs were $220 and they also put the upper intake plenum gasket N/C. They list the summary as follows:

Parts Total $19

Tax on Parts $1.57

Labor $295

Disposal fees $19

Charged Amount $315.57

Glad to get all that done.

• Like 1

$75, thanks. Gives us a reference point for what to expect. Price for plugs was lower than what I paid. Was in last week for tire repair and The Works. Service rep came out and told me I was due to injector flush ($150 - heh, told him I use Techron plus) and new plugs ($315). Told him I had them changed at 90k service. Almost felt sorry for the little puppy face. His job to ratchet up the service bill and I killed his $500 upcharge bonus.

But hey, for $315 I DO get a free car wash. (!!!)

Curious. Parts were only $19? 6-plugs and gasket for $19. How do they do that? Was this a Ford garage or local?

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1

My shop will take bring-in parts. Its a Goodyear store I've been going to for years and is owned by a guy I've known for years. I brought in the Motorcraft plugs, a Felpro gasket, and a full synth 75w140. So a more real estimate would include cost of the parts I brought in but it would still be less than if the shop charged me for the parts. I don't recall what I paid for the plugs or the gasket but the gear oil was about $20. Your guesstimate of $400 probably isn't that far off.

• Like 1

Mods to my 2016 Edge Sport

1.   Salvaged 2016 Ford Edge Sport 2.7 EB Turbos - Car Part .com

2.   Salvaged Turbos rebuilt and modified by Comp Turbos ( Compressor Wheel spec. ) Stock - 6 blade cast 40/51mm.

Modified Intake, hogged out to fit 11 blade 44/57mm CNC billet Wheel.  It now has faster spool up and makes max boost at lower RPM.  

3.   Comp Turbos, Turbo blankets

4.   Ultimate Performance Intercooler with Garrett Core

5.   Air intake Hack on grill

6.   Muffler heat and sound shield wrap

7.   Custom Performance Engineering Rear Motor Mount, 60 Duro. Reduces wheel hop.  

8.   RamFab Cold side IC pipe

9.   A-Fe drop in Air Cleaner

10. 3.5 inch Quad chrome tips

11. MRT Axle-back Mufflers

12. Rotora Street Challenge Brake System - 6 pot - 380mm X Drilled front, 4 pot 350mm X Drilled rears

13. H&R progressive lowering springs - Tire Rack

14. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 265/40 R21 Summer Tires

15. Custom Dyno tune by J.R. Granatelli @ Granatelli Motorsports Oxnard, CA

16. Custom CNC IC grill. Opened it up for more airflow to the IC

17. Strut tower cross brace

18. Reflective Tape inside doors and rear hatch. Visible only when open.

19. Custom design wrap

20. Nano Ceramic Tinted side windows and BAMR that helps to reduce interior heat.

21. 4K Dash Cam with a polarizing filter

22. Reische Performance 170* Thermostat

23. BBK 65mm Throttle Body

24. JLT Catch Can

25. NGK-6510 - LTR7IX-11-ECO Spark Plugs One step colder than stock gapped @ .029.

26. ADDCO rear sway bar 1.250 inch with Whiteline locks 

27. TurboSmart Kompact Shorty - Dual Port TS-0203-1081 Blow Off Valve 

28. Custom made fiberglass Sight Shield for cooler air intake with less restriction. 

29. 0>60mph...  4.65 seconds from a dead stop..... With a one-foot roll out like they do in most car Magazines 4.29 Seconds, 1/4 mile in the 12's 

0 TO 60.png

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

Edge went in for Oil change today at Ford. Obviously took my own oil as they charge $100 for 5l of Fully synthetic and Walmart sold Castrol FTT for $28 this weekend. They are also servicing the sunroof (finally) and apparently there is a recall on the back window (risk to shatter in cold when using demister) that they are looking at.

We dont get a free wash with our services LOL!

• Like 1

Just as well. Have you seen the dirty rags they use to "clean" your vehicle? LOL

This times Eleventybillion! NOBODY at a dealership will wash ANY of our cars. No way! It always cracks me out when people toss in free car washes. IF (that's a HUGE IF) they offered a touchless w/ underbody wash, i might consider it. I've seen these tools drop rags on the floor, & just grind the dirt/debris into paint. Absoluetly not & hope other people take notice & refuse the wash, unless they're touchless & have competent people operating it.

• Like 1

Speaking of fart cannons, I'm getting sick and tired of these kids buying Infiniti G37s and putting on super loud fart cannon exhausts and waking up half the neighborhood. There is no reason for them to be that loud on city streets.

I'd say a HEMI, cold start is even worse. the 3 scatpacks and 2 hellcats I've had for a few weeks would wake up the neighborhood when I started them in the garage at 4am

• Like 1