What have you done to/with your Edge/MKX today?

53 minutes ago, vtchopperdude said:

water pump went t*ts up on me...

Wow, sorry to hear this.  The '13 is 'after' the improved seals and double drive chain and your Edge looks really well cared for.  Did you just notice coolant at the weep holes so you know the pump is on the way out with plenty of notice or did it get to 'kill the engine' stage?     How many miles are on the car?

28 minutes ago, Gadgetjq said:

Wow, sorry to hear this.  The '13 is 'after' the improved seals and double drive chain and your Edge looks really well cared for.  Did you just notice coolant at the weep holes so you know the pump is on the way out with plenty of notice or did it get to 'kill the engine' stage?     How many miles are on the car?

Ya, we are the 2nd owner and treat it like a new car. Purchased with 72k about 2 years ago. It has 102k on it now.

Well, after we had the heater core replaced about 6 weeks ago (whole nother story there!!), I noticed a burning smell after getting out of the car. I thought maybe the new coolant they put in was just smelling funny during breakin of the new heater core (is that even a thing??). Well, I came home to huge stain on the driveway a few days ago. I pulled the plastic belly pan and the sound proofing material was soaked and lots of coolant residue on the plastic. I suspected they messed something up with the heater core replacement, but noticed the leak was coming from around the pulley area. The part they replaced for the heater core job was on the opposite side of the engine. So, long story short, big puddle on the driveway; took it back to Ford this morning; they called said water pump is going out. It leaked about a 1/2 gallon of coolant before I noticed it because that huge belly pan soaked up alot of the leakage. They quoted me around $700 total. Seems pretty steep for a water pump, but I'm slammed at work so I am just biting the bullet and having the dealer replace it. After all the crap that has gone on with the car, it makes sense for them to do it because they warranty the work for 2 years.

• Like 1

Well F**K MY LIFE!!!!!!  Got a call from the dealer. Water pump replaced and car is ready. Go to pick it up. We get about 5 minutes down the road and my wife is flashing the lights at me in the rearview mirror. Well........I walk up to the car and I smell something burning. The dash has about 5 different warnings...battery, overheating, power steering, check coolant, and something else. I pop the hood, and the smell of burning rubber hits me in the face. The serpentine belt is shredded, and the coolant reservoir tank is overflowing.

As I said...F**K MY LIFE!!!!!! This is the 5th time we have taken the car back for them to fix their mistakes!!! Granted, they fix it on their dime every time, it's still super FRUSTRATING to waste my time to keep taking it back for improper repairs!!!

So ya, my Friday just got sh*t on!!!

• Sad 2

16 hours ago, vtchopperdude said:

This is the 5th time we have taken the car back for them to fix their mistakes!!!

It's past time to escalate this issue to your regional Ford rep.  Ask them to take your car away from the current shop and have the work done elsewhere or whatever solution you can live with.  Your current shop is obviously inept. 
Call if you are in the United States, dial 800-392-3673, if you're in Canada 800-565-3673.   If you're elsewhere check your owner's manual.  Or use your Ford.com account.  Click "About Ford" then "Company Information" and "Contact Ford."  Scroll down to the eMail section and find "Email us about vehicles and servics."  Follow the rest of the prompts from there.

Good luck!

Edited by Gadgetjq
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gadgetjq said:

It's past time to escalate this issue to your regional Ford rep.  Ask them to take your car away from the current shop and have the work done elsewhere or whatever solution you can live with.  Your current shop is obviously inept. 
Call if you are in the United States, dial 800-392-3673, if you're in Canada 800-565-3673.   If you're elsewhere check your owner's manual.  Or use your Ford.com account.  Click "About Ford" then "Company Information" and "Contact Ford."  Scroll down to the eMail section and find "Email us about vehicles and servics."  Follow the rest of the prompts from there.

Good luck!

I'm about at wits end with this dealership! What makes it really crappy is that their customer service is EXCELLENT!!!! I mean EXCELLENT!!! Their communication is great, their hospitality is great, their attitude is great, and the service desk guy I deal with is great!!! Buuuuuuuuuuuutttt, the service is HORRIBLE!!! The worst I've ever seen!!! And I drive 3 Ford vehicles (F150, Edge, and Mustang). My whole family is a Ford family. My grandfather worked on the assembly line installing steering columns for over 30 years. My grandma still receives a Ford pension check every month and my grandfather passed about over 20 years ago.

I reallllly want to put faith in this shop (only Ford dealer in town) that they can fix it right this time....but 5 times!!!! What the heck!!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Everyone,

I know it has been a longtime since I posted.  Work and life has really been buzzing lately.  I hope everyone is doing well.

I wanted to let you all know that I parted with my Edge.  It was a tough decision.  My family has had so many good memories with the car.  Shoot, I brought all 3 of my children home from the hospital in that car.  I drove about 88K miles across Europe and Korea in it finally to return to the States and put another 20k on it here.  The vehicle was in immaculate working order and would have driven for another 100k+ miles no problem.  So many fun projects were completed on it and I learned a lot about how vehicles work with this car as well.

I wanted to thank everyone for all the help over the past 9-10 years of ownership.  Y'all have been great!

With the 3 kiddos growing, are current  vehicle needs have been expanding and the Edge just wasn't meeting them.  Also, we wanted something new.  So we traded both our cars for a 2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited.  It is fully loaded, just like our Edge was, and so far is a truly impressive car.  We went with the Palisade because of all of the comfort features it has over the Telluride and really wanted a 3rd row vehicle.

I hope you all continue to enjoy your Edges and wish the best for you in the future!

_Cell

Pali.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cellbine said:

Hey Everyone,

I know it has been a longtime since I posted.  Work and life has really been buzzing lately.  I hope everyone is doing well.

I wanted to let you all know that I parted with my Edge.  It was a tough decision.  My family has had so many good memories with the car.  Shoot, I brought all 3 of my children home from the hospital in that car.  I drove about 88K miles across Europe and Korea in it finally to return to the States and put another 20k on it here.  The vehicle was in immaculate working order and would have driven for another 100k+ miles no problem.  So many fun projects were completed on it and I learned a lot about how vehicles work with this car as well.

I wanted to thank everyone for all the help over the past 9-10 years of ownership.  Y'all have been great!

With the 3 kiddos growing, are current  vehicle needs have been expanding and the Edge just wasn't meeting them.  Also, we wanted something new.  So we traded both our cars for a 2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited.  It is fully loaded, just like our Edge was, and so far is a truly impressive car.  We went with the Palisade because of all of the comfort features it has over the Telluride and really wanted a 3rd row vehicle.

I hope you all continue to enjoy your Edges and wish the best for you in the future!

_Cell

Hope for the best for future. The Palisade seems a really nice ride. Hope you enjoy and it serves you for many years & miles.

• Like 2

Wow!!!!! F! M! L!

We finally got the water pump issue worked out! Pump seized, shredded the serpentine belt, and caused some power steering issues. That got all squared away after 2 visits to the dealer.

Well, remember how I mentioned that we had issues with no warm air several months back, and it took them 2 weeks to diagnosis it as a bad valve, which subsequently caused debris to get into the heater core. Well, they had to completely remove the dash, and in doing so broke multiple trim pieces. They replaced those at cost (thankfully). 

Now the real kicker! Apparently they didn’t reinstall the AC drain tube properly, so all the condensation was leaking directly to the floorboards. Well, considering my wife was only driving it a few miles back and forth to work, it never dripped enough to be noticeable. Well...she drove down to FL on a 4 hour trip, and when she arrived and got out of the car, she noticed standing water in the passenger side floorboard area. OMG! I thought it was the heater core that was just replaced. I did some more investigating in the hotel parking lot, and after watching some YouTube videos, found the drain tube behind the dash and it was not connected. So, for 4 hours all that AC condensation was just dripping into the floorboards. 

Standing water!!!! What the f**k!!! Do I even take it back to this dealership and let them mess something else up? What are my options? I’m pretty sure the carpet will need to be replaced because it is drenched on both driver and passenger side!

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, vtchopperdude said:

Wow!!!!! F! M! L!

We finally got the water pump issue worked out! Pump seized, shredded the serpentine belt, and caused some power steering issues. That got all squared away after 2 visits to the dealer.

Well, remember how I mentioned that we had issues with no warm air several months back, and it took them 2 weeks to diagnosis it as a bad valve, which subsequently caused debris to get into the heater core. Well, they had to completely remove the dash, and in doing so broke multiple trim pieces. They replaced those at cost (thankfully). 

Now the real kicker! Apparently they didn’t reinstall the AC drain tube properly, so all the condensation was leaking directly to the floorboards. Well, considering my wife was only driving it a few miles back and forth to work, it never dripped enough to be noticeable. Well...she drove down to FL on a 4 hour trip, and when she arrived and got out of the car, she noticed standing water in the passenger side floorboard area. OMG! I thought it was the heater core that was just replaced. I did some more investigating in the hotel parking lot, and after watching some YouTube videos, found the drain tube behind the dash and it was not connected. So, for 4 hours all that AC condensation was just dripping into the floorboards. 

Standing water!!!! What the f**k!!! Do I even take it back to this dealership and let them mess something else up? What are my options? I’m pretty sure the carpet will need to be replaced because it is drenched on both driver and passenger side!

Un-farging-believable! I would take it back and ask to speak to the owner. Let him know directly what screw ups he has working for him and go from there. I feel for you bud.

• Like 1

It was one hell of a weekend for my Edge. It got new brake pads and rotors, new tires, and replaced motor mounts all around, even painted the grill gloss black for that Sport look,  only to have the water pump fail on the way home from lunch the next day.  The engine only has 86k miles on it, can you believe it? 
Autonation quoted a replacement engine for $5,680 (no way, not paying $160/hour for labor), so it's being towed to a local shop who says they can do a used engine with a new water pump for half of what AN estimated. 

• Sad 1

Got that new "Oil Level Indicator" today. My old one broke off on it's own and then decided to drop beneath the valve cover in all my attempts to get it out. 

101398126_10219768912066673_551188467231

No photo description available.

looks pretty good for 84,000 miles

100887083_10219733025609534_351874717667

once the dipstick gets to this level, there's literally no way to get it out unless you pull the cover..
100518704_10219730992598710_140088788950

tinted the tails last week too
100481505_10219722690591165_788579120508

• Like 2

Welp, finally got the car back after dropping it off to fix the standing water issue in the floorboards. Interestingly enough, the center console USB starting giving the "excess power draw" warning following the water in the floorboards incident. The dealer didn't remove the carpet, but used some sort of heating element to dry everything out in the car. They also replaced the USB port in the center console, and detailed it. Hopefully the saga of returning the the dealer for poor repairs is over!

• Like 1