Chrome Clad Rims

Hello All

I have the 20in chrome clad rims. They looks great but then again they are plastic chrome. Ive noticed that no matter how much i wash them there is still a dirty look to them. Road grime, crud, etc that makes them sparkle just a little bit less.

I am wondering if any of you have come across a safe non abrasive product that I can apply to give those rims the shine they had when it rolled out of the dealer.

any help great appreciated

I imagine the whole idea of plastic chrome is minimal maintenance. For sure you can't use anything abrasive or aciditic. Be careful with some of these spray on and rinse off wheel cleaners. Strong chemicals tough on plastic. On our 2012 with 18" chrome clad wheels, after I get them clean with soap and water, I just use some cheap Turtle wax. Then bring to hi shine.They look better than new.

Edited by RJG

When I wash the car, I use Meguiars or Mothers car wash, and I also use it on the rims. Usually twice a year, I'll wax the rims, using Meguiars cleaner wax. Seems to hold up pretty well. As RJG posted, I would not use any spray on wheel cleaners on the wheels. They may be too strong, and cause permanent spot marks, that will not come off. If you feel that you need to use a wheel cleaner, I would go to your Ford dealer, and check with parts dept, see what they have in stock for you to buy. For added protection, after doing the wheels with Meguiars cleaner/wax, I use Collinite 845 wax, one of the best out there. Did our cars, unbelievable results ! :headspin:

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I agree with Richy. My chrome clad wheels looked hazy right from the day I took delivery and I only used car wash detergent and water on them until a couple of weeks ago when I tried Collinite Metal Wax. The clad rims look better than factory new and I know they have some degree of protection. I applied with a microfiber cloth and there are no scratches at all. Should have done this a long time ago!