2015 Ford Edge Concept Introduced

robertlane

Seems like I'm in agreement with most. The rearend looks kinda like they did try, and just took concept cues from other CUVs. The frontend really does remind me of a Kia or Hyundai. Literally was the first thing I thought of. I bought my edge for a classier look, and am kind of disappointed they'd rather make it sportier. The interior looks fantastic, although if I could change anything, it'd be the digital speedometer. My mom's RDX has similar gauges, and for some reason, when it's digital, I feel like there should not be a gauge there with numbers 0-160, just the number of the speed I'm going. Looks a lot cleaner. On the plus side, the tail lights and head lights look sick, but it'd be sweet if they took the redesign concept from the Fusion (Grille, Front End, window line, stance, how much plastic should be between the metal and the ground, and not the Taurus and current Edge..

• Like 1

I guess I'm in the minority in thinking the design team/craftsmen and craftswomen did an incredible job with the 2nd generation Edge concept. They exceeded my exceptions. I even went and looked at the Jeep Cherokee and Santa Fe. The Edge concept is different and unique. The Jeep Cherokee nor Santa Fe match the technology of the Edge cross-over. The Jeep Cherokee has much better features for off-road but that is an apple/orange comparison. I've out grown going off-road. Jeep's active drive and lock is intriguing although I typically bought used when I went off-road (full size Bronco and two 4Runners). To me the Santa Fe isn't feature rich or even a unique look. The 2015 Ford Edge concept is what Hyundai will be copying in the future. The Edge concept has a different look and has cutting edge technology. I'm hoping to see most of the new features on the production model. Time will tell.

This is what the current Santa Fe lists for technology:
Standard Hillstart Assist Control (HAC)
Seats That Fight Stains
Blue Link
Proximity Key Entry With Push Button Start
Dual Automatic Temperature Control
Driver Selectable Steering Mode (DSSM)
Edited by JimPA
  • Like 1

"The interior looks fantastic, although if I could change anything, it'd be the digital speedometer. My mom's RDX has similar gauges, and for some reason, when it's digital, I feel like there should not be a gauge there with numbers 0-160, just the number of the speed I'm going. Looks a lot cleaner."

Here is a good image of the gauges on the 2015 Edge concept. I understand your point.

http://www.netcarshow.com/ford/2013-edge_concept/1600x1200/wallpaper_0b.htm

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/ford-edge-concept-la-2013/full/#photo-1577666

I was expecting the dash to be fully digital since the One Ford philosophy. I thought it would make it easier to have english and metric using the same display. Probably not a big deal for Ford to have multiple gauges sets.

Edited by JimPA

2.0L ECOBOOST I-4 [2014 Edge & Escape]

240 HP @ 5,500 rpm

270 lb-ft of torque @ 3,000 rpm

FWD: 21 city / 30 highway / 24 combined

2.3L ECOBOOST I-4 [2015 MKC & IMO 2015 Edge] (new engine, under development)

275 HP @ 5,500 rpm

300 lb-ft of torque @ 3,000 rpm

FWD: ? city / ? hwy / ? combined

AWD: ? city / ? hwy / ? combined

3.5L Ti-VCT V6 [2014 Edge]

285 HP @ 5,500 rpm

253 lb-ft of torque @ 3,000 rpm

FWD: 19 city / 27 hwy / 22 combined

AWD: 18 city / 25 hwy / 21 combined

3.7L Ti-VCT V6 [2014 Edge Sport & 2014 MKX]

305 HP @ 5,500 rpm

280 lb-ft of torque @ 3,000 rpm

FWD: 18 city / 26 hwy / 21 combined

AWD: 17 city / 23 hwy / 19 combined

IMO = in my opinion

The 2.3L EcoBoost is too similar in specs to the 3.5L so IMO in reference to the Edge, the 3.5L goes away in 2015.

The 2015 Ford Edge will be lighter than the 2014 and should have better aerodynamics.

"The all-new 2.3L EcoBoost I-4 powertrain. Is available exclusively in the 2015 MKC."

"The 2.3L EcoBoost pairs three brilliant technologies — turbocharging, direct injection and twin independent variable cam timing (Ti-VCT) — that give this powertrain the feel of a V6 in a smaller, efficient package."

Edited by JimPA

Ford's adaptive steeping explained.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4B-VDh19wQ

Useful for video:

120 KPH = ~75 MPH

20 KPH = ~12 MPH

5 KMP = ~3 MPH

BMW uses active steering which appears to be similar to Ford's adaptive steering. BMW has been using active steering for a few years.

An image of this video is shown when Raj Nair (Ford's global product development chief) is presenting the 2015 Edge concept. The image is on the active media wall behind Raj.

Edited by JimPA

Air curtain explained using BMW. I couldn't find any Ford literature. The below link isn't direct to the air curtain. The link explains all BMW's aerodynamic technologies.

Air vent control (same/similar to Ford's active shutters)

Aero wheel rims

Air curtain (same/similar to Ford's air curtain)

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/technology/efficientdynamics/phase_2/technology/aerodynamics.html

I wonder if the 2015 Edge concept rims are designed to reduce drag. I don't understand why the rims are not designed to reduce drag unless BMW has a tight patent on the reduced drag rim technology.

I stated in a previous post that I thought the air curtain inlet was around the fog light but upon further inspection I believe the inlet to be below the fog light.

Edited by JimPA

I think the 2015 Ford Mustang reveal today allows us for some takeaways. I read from an outsider that the 2015 Production Edge will be shown at the North American Auto Show in Detroit. I'm thinking of traveling to Detroit to attend. I think the 2015 Ford Edge will share the antenna of the Mustang hard top. Hopefully of the interior will share the same quality, real aluminum and other high end features of the Mustang. No LED headlamps. I don't thinks any of us thought we would see LED headlamps in 2015. The 2015 Ford Edge hood will be the same as the concept hood, shares styling with the 2015 Mustang. Frameless glass will be on the 2015 Ford Edge, hopefully the same as what is on the Ford Edge concept. Probably the 2.3 EcoBoost. I think we'll see the 2015 Edge in the summer to fall.

http://blog.cjponyparts.com/2013/11/2015-mustang-revealed/

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/2015-ford-mustang-first-look.html

2014 Edge production is a short run 11/18/13 into early March (my dealer confirmed). Oakville appears to be closed for 4 plus weeks after that for what I assume is retooling. You may see some 2015 pilots running around in later on in the spring. See the second page of this link for the Oakville plant schedule:

http://www.donlen.com/pdf/ProductionSched.pdf

Edited by blankster
  • Like 1

Get ready for all the "hey look it's a Hyundai Santa Fe" comments. Personally I think it looks good...I could do without all the dead space on the rear below the taillights though.

I attached a little gif of the current and concept morphing.

Right on!!! The front looks identical? Come on Ford surely you have a better idea design wise rather than copy the Hyundai grill???

I posted some ideas on social.ford.com I only say this because if you agree with the idea and vote on it, Ford may consider the idea. I get no money, I really would like to see this idea implemented because I think they would add to the product. If the spare tire was offset, I could store some EDC tools. Other could use the extra space for other items.

http://social.ford.com | Your ideas | Convenience and Safety

Here is one of my ideas

2015 Ford Edge spare tire placement
Ford Edge 2015: Please consider locating the spare tire offset to one side to allow for more storage. So instead of about 4" on each side with the spare located in the center, if the spare was located offset to the left, I would have 1" on the left and 7" on the right. I am guessing on the amount of space.
Edited by JimPA

I noticed the paddle shifters too. Not too sure what from the concept makes it into production, especially the concept's interior. Currently, only the Ford Edge Sport has the paddle shifters, correct? I would love to see an upgrade from the 6-speed transmission too. I guess I want a lot and Ford has to save some features for the Sport model.

Couldn't link directly to the picture of the paddle shifter. It is image 20/23.

http://www.carscoops.com/2013/11/new-ford-edge-concept-is-couple-of.html

Edited by JimPA
  • Like 1

Robert - I'm with you. I think it is a safe bet to say 2.0 L and 2.3 L EcoBoost. Has anyone heard or think the production Edge will be revealed at the North American Auto Show in Detroit, January 13?

WWWPerfA_ZN0W, I on the outside looking in on the triumvirate. I had to lookup triumvirate. Thanks. I just want to put it out there that I follow orders very well.

• Like 1

With the shortened cycle this MY (end of March, was it?), it is entirely possible that the Jan '14 show will reveal the production model, albeit with a few minor "show only" tweaks. I just hope that color from the concept vehicle makes it into production.

If they do go all-Ecoboost, hopefully the MKX will get a larger EB version, or at least a V6 naturally aspirated version. The V6 MUST survive! Wouldn't be totally against a small displacement V8 either :)

I'm betting that the 2015 Edge will go totally EcoBoost. I'm wondering though if we'll see a Hybrid model included in this redesign too?

EcoBoost 3.5L 6? I'm on it!

EcoBoost Diesel? I'm on it!

Hybrid? Middle of the road. Driving to Sedona is one of the reasons I am like that.

Trinity V8? Drool