13M01 - Middle East PTU Extended Warranty

omar302

Can someone provide more details on a "13M01" Field Service Action?

Was at the dealer yesterday for service & noticed on one of the reports (OASIS, I think) among the outstanding Field Service Actions a "13M01", couldn't read the complete title, but was something like "Certain 2007 through 2012 model year Edge & MKX vehicles sold in some Middle East markets Extended Coverage on Power Transfer Unit".

Would appreciate more details on this issue. Thanks.

• Like 1

Peter F. Bandoske Ford Motor Company

Service Engineering Operations Manager P. O. Box 1904

Ford Customer Service Division Dearborn, Michigan 48121

USA

May 22, 2013

TO: Export & Growth Operations Dealers

SUBJECT: Customer Satisfaction Program 13M01

Certain 2007 through 2012 Model Year Edge and MKX Vehicles Equipped with All-Wheel-Drive, Ordered for Certain Middle East Markets - Extended Warranty Coverage on Power Transfer Unit.

PROGRAM TERMS

This program extends the coverage of the Power Transfer Unit (PTU) to 10 years of service from the Warranty Start Date, or 190,000 kilometers, whichever occurs first. If a vehicle has already accumulated more than 190,000 kilometers, this coverage will last through November 30, 2013. Coverage is automatically transferred to subsequent owners.

VEHICLES COVERED BY THIS PROGRAM

Certain 2007-2012 model year Edge and MKX vehicles equipped with AWD, built at the Oakville Assembly Plant, and ordered for Saudi Arabia, UAE, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, Oman, Yemen, Jordan, Iraq, or Lebanon. Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS.

REASON FOR PROVIDING ADDITIONAL COVERAGE

Extended high speed vehicle operation in high ambient temperatures, in conjunction with off-road driving in sand, may result in sludging of the fluid within the PTU and/or seal leaks. PTU sludging typically produces symptoms such as a whining noise while driving or clunk/harsh engagements when shifting to drive or reverse. Continued driving in these environmental conditions may damage the PTU and result in a loss of AWD functionality. Affected vehicles can still be driven in FWD mode if the PTU function is compromised.

SERVICE ACTION

If dealer diagnosis indicates that the PTU requires replacement, dealers are authorized to replace it with a new Middle East Service PTU that contains a drain plug, which enables convenient fluid replacement at regular intervals. Dealers are also to apply a sticker to the inside cover of the vehicle Owner Guide that details revised fluid replacement maintenance intervals of 30,000 kilometers for normal use, and 15,000 kilometers for severe duty/sand driving use. At the conclusion of the repair, dealers are to provide vehicle owners with an Owner Information Card, which details the revised fluid replacement maintenance intervals.

If dealer diagnosis indicates the PTU does not require replacement, but that seal leaks are present, dealers are authorized to replace the affected seals under this program.

This service must be performed at no charge to the vehicle owner.

Service Interval Stickers and Cards will be shipped to dealers the week of June 3rd, marked attention Service Manager.

 Copyright 2013 Ford Motor Company

Note: 2013 Model Year Edge and MKX vehicles equipped with AWD and ordered for Middle East operation, have PTU’s equipped with a drain plug. A Service Interval Sticker should be applied to the vehicle Owner Guide and Owner Information Card should be provided to the customer. It is recommended that the sticker and card be provided during the next scheduled service visit.

ATTACHMENTS

Attachment I: Administrative Information

Attachment II: Labor Allowances and Parts Ordering Information

Attachment III: Technical Information

Owner Notification Letter

ASSISTANCE

Contact your Service Campaign Coordinator (expcso@ford.com) should you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Peter F. Bandoske

ATTACHMENT I

Page 1 of 2

Customer Satisfaction Program 13M01

Certain 2007 through 2012 Model Year Edge and MKX Vehicles

Equipped with AWD, Ordered for Certain Middle East Markets

Power Transfer Unit Extended Coverage

OASIS ACTIVATED?

Yes, OASIS will be activated on May 22, 2013.

FSA VIN LIST ACTIVATED?

No, FSA VIN list will not be activated for this service action.

STOCK VEHICLES

Do not perform this program unless the affected vehicle exhibits the covered conditions.

SOLD VEHICLES

Only owners with affected vehicles that exhibit the covered conditions will be directed to dealers for repairs.

TITLE BRANDED / SALVAGED VEHICLES

Affected title branded and salvaged vehicles are eligible for this service action.

RELATED DAMAGE

If a related damage condition exists that you believe to be caused by the covered condition, complete inquiry form and submit to expwrty@ford.com to request approval prior to the repair. Requests for approval after completion of the repair will not be granted.

OWNER REFUNDS

• Ford Motor Company is offering a refund for owner-paid repairs covered by this program if the repair was performed before the date of the Owner Notification Letter. This refund offer expires November 30, 2013.

• Dealers are also authorized to refund owner-paid emergency repairs that were performed away from an authorized servicing dealer after the date of the Owner Notification Letter. There is no expiration date for emergency repair refunds. Non-covered repairs, or those judged by Ford to be excessive, will not be reimbursed.

• Refunds will only be provided for the cost associated with PTU re-sealing or replacement.

RENTAL VEHICLES

The use of rental vehicles is not authorized for this program.

ATTACHMENT I

Page 2 of 2

CLAIMS PREPARATION AND SUBMISSION

• Enter claims using Direct Warranty Entry (DWE).

• Refer to ACESII manual for claims preparation and submission information.

• Related damage must be claimed on a repair line that is separate from the repair line on which the FSA is claimed. Related damage requires prior approval from expwrty@ford.com.

• "MT" labor should be submitted on a separate repair line with the related damage flag checked. "MT" labor requires prior approval from expwrty@ford.com.

• Submit refunds on a separate repair line.

- Program Code: 13M01 - Misc. Expense: ADMIN

- Misc. Expense: REFUND - Misc. Expense: 0.2 Hrs.

• Multiple refunds should be submitted on one repair line and the invoice details for each repair should be detailed in the comments section of the claim.

• PROGRAM TERMS: This program extends the coverage of the PTU to 10 years of service or 190,000 kilometers from the warranty start date of the vehicle, whichever occurs first. If a vehicle has already exceeded the mileage limit, this coverage will last through November 30, 2013.

ATTACHMENT II

Page 1 of 1

LABOR ALLOWANCES

Description

Labor Operation

Labor Time

Replace the Power Transfer Unit (PTU), apply PTU Service Interval Sticker, and provide vehicle owner with PTU Service Interval Card.

13M01B

4.2 Hour(s)

Replace input shaft seals

13M01C

4.4 Hour(s)

Replace output shaft seal

13M01D

1.5 Hour(s)

Replace intermediate shaft seals

13M01E

1.6 Hour(s)

Replace cover seal

13M01F

1.9 Hour(s)

PARTS REQUIREMENTS / ORDERING INFORMATION

Part Number

Description

Quantity

AT4Z-7251-B

Power Transfer Unit (PTU) with Drain Plug

7E5Z-7275-AC

Output Shaft Seal Kit

8T4Z-7275-CD

Intermediate Shaft Seal Kit (includes Cover Seal)

8T4Z-7275-DD

Intermediate Shaft Seal Kit (does NOT include Cover Seal)

7T4Z-7086-A

Compression Seal

7E5Z-7H469-C

PTU Case Driver Gear Seal (Input Shaft Seal)

Order your parts requirements through normal order processing channels.

• Like 4

• 2 years later...

Sorry to open up an old thread

I recently purchased a used ford edge 2007 and gave it in for a service due to an oil leak (and that is has reached 100,000 kms)

The ford garage (al tayar) has told me that the PTU will need to be replaced at my cost.

According to them, I am not eligible for replacement under 13M01 because the vehicles has a service history gap with al tayar/ Ford between ~75k to this service (so around 20-25k), can someone confirm if this is correct, as the service guarantee does not state anything to this affect.

I am unhappy with the level of honesty so far and I love the car! :(

Unfortunately that's a tactic used by many dealers, especially in our region. Explain to them that regardless of service, the original PTU does not have any service requirement. So any missed schedule would not have affected the PTU, hence it should still remain covered by the extended warranty. If it fails, try to contact Ford Middle East customer support by phone. If it also fails to get positive results, then complain to the consumer protection agency or whatever it is called in UAE/Dubai.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice Omar :)

I have tried both, and Ford MENA Customer Services said the same thing as the dealer, "because there is no service history, the standard Ford warranty is void which also voids and extended warranty"... they did give me a nice discount however and said if I can get hold of the service history then the amount I have paid can be refunded - issue being, this is a used car and the service history is all over the place... eitherway im unhappy with the level of service :(

I'd say check with the Consumer Protection Department in Dubai.

https://ded.abudhabi.ae/en/consumer-protection

I googled their number & this is what I found: 04 2954000

Edit: Make sure to highlight that the failed part is originally a non-serviceable part (lubed for life). So regardless of Maintenance (done or skipped) it would not affect the PTU, and that the whole reason of this extended warranty is to replace it with a new one that can be maintained.

Edited by omar302
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...

I have the exact same problem with my 2009 Lincoln MKX. I'm the 4th owner, and the 2 owners before me didn't service it at Al Tayer, but at other, 3rd party garages. I did the same, until in 2017, I gave it to Al Tayer for the 150,000 kms service and asked if the PTU would be replaced, I was told no, because: "The PTU sludging typically produces the similar symptoms I mentioned about the mountings and the reasons for not replacing the power take off unit are: no visual leak on the casing and seal areas and no sludge formation on the fluid. It is recommended to replace the PTU oil every 1 year or 20,000 km interval for units that contains drain plug; if there’s no drain plug, the PTU oil is not required to replace at all. To be more accurate as I made a mistake on providing you the warranty coverage for the PTU (I counted wrongly starting from year 2008), Ford Motors Co has provided extended warranty coverage for your Lincoln MKX’s PTU until 16 January 2019 whichever comes first of 190,000 km whenever the said symptoms arises."

So before and after this, I've been going to my trusted garage until Al Tayer had a Winter Promotion where they'd perform a lube service for AED 199, but AED 240 for the Lincoln MKX. I gave it to them and asked them to a major service instead (spark plugs, all fluids, etc. including replacing the PTU fluid). I asked them to replace the PTU and they said no (same Service Advisor as 2017), as the recall is only valid if I regularly maintain the car with them. 

On 8/15/2016 at 8:40 AM, omar302 said:

Edit: Make sure to highlight that the failed part is originally a non-serviceable part (lubed for life). So regardless of Maintenance (done or skipped) it would not affect the PTU, and that the whole reason of this extended warranty is to replace it with a new one that can be maintained.

Was told that my PTU won't be changed despite sludge formation as it wasn't serviced at Al Tayer. They changed the fluid, but the seals still have a slight leak, so they offered an overhaul that would cost me around USD 600.

When I gave it to them in 2017 for the same replacement under the recall, they said they couldn't do it since there were no issues with the PTU. Really odd, but definitely my last Ford. 

On 8/15/2016 at 8:40 AM, omar302 said:

I brought this up with them and they said it's not for life, since they recommend changing the PTU fluid every 20,000 kms and said it's mentioned in the Service Booklet. 

7 hours ago, Ozimandius said:

I brought this up with them and they said it's not for life, since they recommend changing the PTU fluid every 20,000 kms and said it's mentioned in the Service Booklet. 

What they recommend doesn't come into play, its what's written in the warranty and service section of your owners manual.

Best you get in contact with Ford Corp. and open a case, and make sure that you keep a written record.

8 hours ago, Ozimandius said:

This recommendation started with the 2013 model, if I remember correctly. That is when they started having drain plugs for the PTU for Middle East models. That's why this extended warranty was issued.