Grinding noise when turning on ice and snow

Bradman123

Whenever I turn from a stop sign and the front wheels lose traction I hear a grinding gears sound. It won't make the sound if I gas it to break traction going straight and AWD seems to be working perfectly. I did hear it one time when I was leaving a stop on a hill covered in a sheet of ice and snow. We have had 4 or 5 days of sub zero temperatures. I don't know if that could make a difference. It doesn't matter if I'm turning left or right and the sound is coming from the front end. Does anyone know what this is? 2007 Ford Edge

Edited by Bradman123

I was thinking it could be the stability control. Its just an unpleasant sound. Not really the same sound it makes when braking on ice and the ABS kicks in. If I turn off the stability control then it it shouldn't make the sound right? Would this be a good way to test it? I had a ford focus before this and all the traction control did in that car was kill engine power when the wheels started spinning unless I shut off the button.

I was thinking it could be the stability control. Its just an unpleasant sound. Not really the same sound it makes when braking on ice and the ABS kicks in. If I turn off the stability control then it it shouldn't make the sound right? Would this be a good way to test it? I had a ford focus before this and all the traction control did in that car was kill engine power when the wheels started spinning unless I shut off the button.

Wrong, the button only turns off the traction control, not the stability control. ABS and stability control use the same sensors and solenoids, but ABS is releasing brake pressure while stability control is applying brake pressure. That's why they sound a bit different.

Yes, you can turn it off and try it and I bet you don't hear it...but once you confirm that, turn it back on as I did that once on a wet road...there is a reason it's called 'traction control' and defaults to ON...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The traction control works by applying the brake to the wheel that the computer senses is spinning faster than the other wheels. You then feel a loss of power, well, because its applying the brakes while you are trying to accelerate. So I would expect to hear some type of noise when this happens. The "old school" 4wd that is on my 2000 navigator has the traditional "posi" rear end with a clutch in the transfer case that engages when it senses rear wheel slippage. It's a great system and I have no Idea how the MKX awd works but I assume it has open differentials front and rear and applies braking to the wheels that are spinning faster than the others.........

Are you talking about the crunching noise that snow make when driven over in cold temperature? When it get really cold here in Canada, I can practically hear people drive in my driveway just by the crunching noise that the snow make. Like it was mentioned before, snow build up in the wheel wells will also make noise if it frozen solid and it by the turning wheels

Assuming that you are experiencing a mechanical noise. The best thing to do would be to find an empty parking lot with slippery conditions (ice, snow) and force your vehicle to slip and engage the traction control to characterize the noise.