Back Up Camera Dead

UPDATE FROM SERVICE CALL TODAY

This message is related to an update for the camera that started to appear about a month ago.

While checking everything out they noticed that my camera wasn't tight inside the mount so they have ordered me a new Camera that will be installed on Saturday when it comes in.

Edited by tmbubell

Got the Edge back.

New Camera installed and working but the new software has deleted the grid Lines and proximity lines.

The advanced camera settings are set to show the grids but doesn't

after a master reset and turning the Edge on and off the grids don't show.

They are going to check into it Further on Monday, in the meantime I have the Edge back with no Grid lines.

The camera seems like its in zoom mode with the plus zoom area in the top lefthand corner but it does nothing

BackupCameramissinggrids_zpsc3a23a01.jpg

Edited by tmbubell

I think this new software for the camera needs to go back to the drawing board

1. no grid lines , no proximity boxes (green,Yellow, Red)

2. Reversed out of a spot and put the Edge in drive, Edge thought it was still in reverse as I drove forward for 15-20 seconds with the Camera still engaged then the regular home screen final popped up.

Edited by tmbubell

There is a delay setting on my Edge which will alow the camera to stay on until I reach a certain speed going forward. I think it is about 5 mph or so. The setting to turn it off or on is in the menu. Sounds like yours is turned on.

Here is a picture of my settings.

Nothing works one way or the other

I was going about 60 Km in Drive before it went to the home screen

The camera update has really messed thing up

The Dealer is going to have a hotline meeting with Ford on Monday to see if they can figure out whats going on.

Everything worked fine till the camera went down last week

CameraSettings_zps8f3ba652.jpg

It also, now takes 1-2 minutes for it to find my phone

Edited by tmbubell

I have a 2011 Edge. I also got this same error at approx. 43k miles. "Camera is unavailable, please contact your dealer".

I contacted my dealer and dropped my truck off to have inspected. The week before , my backup picture continued to present "upside down". The Ford mechanic said he hasn't seen this before, there are no recalls and he would be happy to replace the camera however it would cost over $1,000. I must say, I was extremely disappointed, but now that I see I'm not the only one with this problem, I feel Ford owes its valued customers a fix as there is obviously an issue.

I am a lifetime Ford customer and not a happy one at this time. Step up Ford!

I have a 2011 Edge. I also got this same error at approx. 43k miles. "Camera is unavailable, please contact your dealer".

I contacted my dealer and dropped my truck off to have inspected. The week before , my backup picture continued to present "upside down". The Ford mechanic said he hasn't seen this before, there are no recalls and he would be happy to replace the camera however it would cost over $1,000. I must say, I was extremely disappointed, but now that I see I'm not the only one with this problem, I feel Ford owes its valued customers a fix as there is obviously an issue.

I am a long time Ford Guy too ( Always seemed to have a Ford in the family - Mustang, Focus, Roush Mustang, Steeda Focus, Edge, Fiesta

We've had other cars also Mini Cooper S, a few Chevy products ( Wife was a Chevy fan) The only reason I'm still with Ford is because of the service I get from my dealers service dept.

This is the only Service dept I have every come across that treats my car as if it were their own personal car, and always does the right thing. ( to have me leaving happy)

So earlier in the thread you saw that things aren't quite right with the new software and the dealer was looking into it for me.

Decided to clean the Edge today at a touchless car wash, well that didn't go so well.

There is a TSB telling the techs that if this pieces needs to be removed a new one needs to be ordered and painted to match as the clips break when trying to take it off.

Guess what nobody read this TSB till this happened going through the blow dryers at the car wash

2b1e0180-55b6-4d00-9132-4de0ddf3ff48_zps

Took the Edge to the Service Dept. right after it happened, they put me in a courtesy car , took my Edge into the shop, ordered up the new parts , called me later explaining what went wrong and advised that they have fixed the software issue and the grid lines are back.

Picking up the Edge tomorrow. ( Thanks Amber, Wayne for Taking awesome care of a Ford Customer)

Wow! How the heck did THAT happen? So the problem with the camera was a software issue? Hopefully they can provide some specific info that will help other forlorn Edge owners out :)

:thumbsup: for a helpful dealership.

They replaced the camera and updated the camera software (I haven't seen the paperwork yet as to what exactly was done)

The new software had a glitch not allowing the grid lines or proximity boxes to appear, they did a hotline call with Ford and got a patch to bring the grid back.

The Blow dryers from the car wash Air caught a hold of this trim piece that obviously wasn't fully secured and ripped it right off the Edge

There is a Ford TSB advising the techs that these clips will break when trying to remove this trim and to order a new piece painted to match if any work is done under there

This Service Dept is the Best

Edited by tmbubell
  • Like 1

Camera and camera software are working again

Gridlinesback_zps5f3dbb0e.jpg

The new back trim, camera, light holder and wire support piece came in yesterday , the trim piece has been sent to the body shop for painting

These are the parts discussed earlier in the tread

The Edge should be back to 100% by Wednesday and the work order closed, once I get the paperwork I will advise exactly what had to be done to get the camera and software working again.

I know they replaced the camera with new.

Edited by tmbubell

• 1 month later...

I see you are from Canada. Well, I guess your Ford Dealers are more customer friendly than MD shops. I still do not have a workable backup camera and dont see any recalls or offers to fix it!

Hello JAS11,

Is your Edge currently at the dealer? Please send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and preferred servicing dealership; I'll put you in touch with your regional customer service manager, who is in the best position to assist.

Todd

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My Edge is now doing this exact thing. When I put it into reverse I get the "Camera is unavailable. Please contact your dealership" message.

From searching around the net it seems to be a very rare issue as I've only seen it mentioned two or three times. My dealership said they don't know what the issue is but are quick to charge me $100 for an electrical inspection and then any parts and labour on top of it. I told them I'd dome back after doing some research.

I'm out of warranty so I hope this doesn't hurt the pocket book too much.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well Friday my camera decided that every other time I get in the car and back up the image would be upside down and not have the guided lines. It did this all day on Saturday too. Tonight it's just gone black no "see dealer" image just black and it will still beep of I get to close to something. I found a TSB for the upside down thing happening in cold weather does anyone know if that TSB would apply in the summer??? Really can't afford a big repair bill right now if the system has to be replaced.

• 2 weeks later...

So has anyone had this issue and had it fixed for free? My 2011 Ford Edge is under warranty, but the dealerhsip says to replace the back up camera is not covered under warranty!! This sucks...my edge isn't even 4 years old and I keep telling people how great it is...well I think thats going to be changing!! Ford...this non-warranty stuff is rediculous...get it together.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone, I'm having the same problem and I've done a scan, I got these fault codes but can't seem to get help from the internet.

I'll be happy if anyone has ideas. Codes are: C1001 - ODDTCS Vision system camera and C1001/01-68 - CMDTCS Vision system camera. Though my edge is no longer on warranty, I'll have to be wise on cash.

Would be glad to get some help.

I took mine to the dealer. Showed the TSB 11-6-4 that addresses the camera being flipped in cold weather. He looked at the paper then said maybe you should just bring it back this winter. The told me it's probably the camera and he'd have to look up the cost.

So has anyone had this issue and had it fixed for free? My 2011 Ford Edge is under warranty, but the dealerhsip says to replace the back up camera is not covered under warranty!! This sucks...my edge isn't even 4 years old and I keep telling people how great it is...well I think thats going to be changing!! Ford...this non-warranty stuff is rediculous...get it together.

If you are still under any remaining 36 month and 36000 mile warranty, the dealer is wrong. It should be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty, and would include any TSB's to be applied for free.

If you are under just the power train warranty (5 years or 60000 miles) the camera is not covered by that. From your statement that the car isn't even 4 years old yet, it sounds like you are out of the bumper to bumper warranty.

• 1 month later...

Just purchased 2011 ford edge about three mos ago

First ford and was hoping to be a ford customer going forward but--

Put car in reverse and camera said contact dealership

So I wipe camera lens off and it works for a few times and then will quit

I wipe again (lens isn't dirty) and works again

But even when working, lines aren't there

I check and the menu is set for lines

This car had 37000 miles so out of bumper to bumper warranty

Anyone have this problem

And, if so, how was it resolved and how much is it going to cost