Back Up Camera Dead

The forum membername is "Ford Service". You can access the profile and PM her from there. Reply to this post and you will have the 5 posts needed prior to being able to PM anyone.

It is helpful to have a case # or something first though. So talk to a/the dealership first and see what they have to say.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

• 3 weeks later...

Seems maybe this issue will start to creep into 3-4 year old Edges from 2010 or 2011. Mine started displaying this issue last month and the dealer up here in Vancouver diagnosed it as a bad camera that needs replacement. $250 to replace with labor isn't that bad, but maybe this is the beginning of a trend?

I'm having the same problem. It randomly works, and then for no reason it goes out & I get a "contact dealership" message. I took it in to my local dealership & because I'm no longer covered by the bumper to bumper warranty I was told that I had to replace the camera & it would cost me close to $700! This seems a bit absurd to me for a backup camera on a car that is less than 4 years old. How do I go about getting in touch with the Ford rep that others have had luck with?

I'm having the same problem. It randomly works, and then for no reason it goes out & I get a "contact dealership" message. I took it in to my local dealership & because I'm no longer covered by the bumper to bumper warranty I was told that I had to replace the camera & it would cost me close to $700! This seems a bit absurd to me for a backup camera on a car that is less than 4 years old. How do I go about getting in touch with the Ford rep that others have had luck with?

If it just the camera you can get that part from a ford parts site for a little over $100 shipped. It's easy to replace, as I've taken mine out to replace the chrome emblem strip its attached to. I'm not sure if once you replace the camera a software reboot is needed.

So you've replaced the camera or just the emblem? Do you know of anyone that's replaced the whole camera with one they bought from a Ford parts site? I was just shocked that my dealership quoted me $780 to replace it. Might be worth a try!

The reason it cost so much is the fact that you can't take the trim piece off the back to replace just the camera without some of the clips breaking, so the trim piece, camera mount and camera should all be replaced at the same time to avoid what happened to me.

I was lucky that all of this happened to me while the Edge was still under warranty.

See my post #11

This is what happens when you go through a touchless car wash with a good dryer at the end, and you try to reuse parts.

tmbubell I went back and look at the pic you posted with the busted trim piece...WOW! How did they do that? I had no problem taking the entire piece off the car and over to my work bench. I was then able to remove the camera and its wiring. I really looks like they left it bolted to the lift gate and tried prying it off.

I removed the interior panel from the lift gate to access the 4 nuts holding the camera piece to the gate. Took about 10-15 mins.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

UPDATE

Service adviser said :

Software / Programming issue

Ford solved it through the IDS

Dealer did a hotline call with Ford and they sent

them new software

Thank you for the update. Is your vehicle still under warranty? I wonder if they will fix this for free or a small fee if I'm out of warranty...

Thank you for the update. Is your vehicle still under warranty? I wonder if they will fix this for free or a small fee if I'm out of warranty...

My Edge is still under warranty.

At the time I was under the Ford 3 year / 60,000km Warranty -

I bought the extended Ford warranty with the Edge (5 year 120,000 KM) on the Edge - SO I am still under warranty for another 16 months or 40,000KM

That soon from warranty I would expect the dealer to help you out.

KeyWest Ford Service Dept. in New Westminster BC is the Best Service Dept of any Brand I have ever dealt with.

They treat your vehicle like it was theirs and always do the right thing

My Edge is still under warranty.

At the time I was under the Ford 3 year / 60,000km Warranty -

I bought the extended Ford warranty with the Edge (5 year 120,000 KM) on the Edge - SO I am still under warranty for another 16 months or 40,000KM

That soon from warranty I would expect the dealer to help you out.

KeyWest Ford Service Dept. in New Westminster BC is the Best Service Dept of any Brand I have ever dealt with.

They treat your vehicle like it was theirs and always do the right thing

Thank you for the info! Maybe it's a smart move to purchase extended warranty!

• 6 months later...

Wish I had come across this thread sooner! I got to the part of attempting to replace my back-up camera on the 2011 ford edge where I couldn't figure out how to separate the pieces in tmtubells #8 image. I didn't want to break something. So after contemplating this for a while I came up with the best solution for me - Dremmel + Gorilla Glue. And you know what - it works great!

1) after you remove the body panel that had the camera and emblem, do not attempt to separate the pieces.

2) dremmel the black plastic piece that is holding the camera firmly in place

3) remove the plastic piece and disconnect/remove the camera

4) put in new camera and reconnect

5) repositon plastic piece. i had to just shims to get a tight fit. i used pieces of a wire tie

6) gorilla glue and let dry

7) put everything back together. to get a tight fit. i used pieces of a wire tie

6) gorilla glue and let dry

7) put everything back together.

Tried to post images, but no luck. Anyway, this worked nicely for me. Good luck to all!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I have the same problem. Camera Not available. Contact dealership. Took it to service station. Gave me a qoute for 600 dollars to change camera. I dont know if the entire assembly needs to be changed, or just the camera. since 600 dollars cant be just for the camera. this problem started close to 3 weeks back.

Even tried updating the ford syn to the latest version via USB. no joy.i am out of warranty. dint expect this from ford. i'm at a loss here.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just started having camera problems on my 2012 Edge Sport, out-of-warranty, 30K miles. The "Rear Park Aid" lines have disappeared for good. Sometimes the camera works, sometimes I get the "Camera is unavailable" warning. Just looked at ALLDATA and it says that the labor involved to replace the camera is 0.6 hours with a parts cost of $147. Apparently a hole needs to be drilled in an area underneath the name plate in order to access a screw and remove the camera. The name plate has to be discarded and replaced. I can probably do this myself but would rather not.

Edited by Kissel