Back Up Camera Dead

Hello JAS11,

Is your Edge currently at the dealer? Please send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and preferred servicing dealership; I'll put you in touch with your regional customer service manager, who is in the best position to assist.

Todd

Hello JAS11,

Is your Edge currently at the dealer? Please send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and preferred servicing dealership; I'll put you in touch with your regional customer service manager, who is in the best position to assist.

Todd

Hi I have a 2011 edge sport without a warranty (ended in Nov 2015). Rear camera works but lost the lines. Took it to my dealer and they got an error message B115E telling them to reconfigure camera. 1 day later lines are gone again... wondering if its a software issue or if i need to replace the camera. Im pissed

Edited by 2011sport

• 1 month later...

Responded to your other post...but if MFT reboot doesn't work check out FORScan. I used that recently to calibrate my camera myself.

Using FORscan you are able to reset the camera and get the lines back after replacing the camera? Quick tutorial would be nice (skipping the install of ODB adapter and just using FORscan for this specific task). Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I recently bought a used 2011 Ford Edge and everything worked perfectly for about a month. Then, I received the dreaded back up camera message to see the dealership. Well, after much research I found a couple of posts that suggested it could be as simple as a software update. So, I take it to the dealership, where I had an 8 a.m. appointment, and after sitting in the waiting room for 50 minutes before my vehicle was even taken into a bay which was quite reminiscent of visiting a doctor's office, and after another hour in the bay, I was told that the camera was faulty. From reading this and many other forums and posts, I figured a camera replacement would set me back around 3 or 4 hundred dollars. Nope, I was quoted $965! I nearly threw up in my mouth! Obviously I declined but still had to pay $100 for the diagnosis which I estimated would be about that much.

I found on Amazon a genuine Ford part for just over $100 and was hoping that was all I needed. I also downloaded for free, Forscan and I already had the DLC connector from a previous project on a different vehicle.

It took me about 10 minutes to remove the interior rear lift cover and the Ford emblem assembly that holds the camera. Getting the camera itself was tough, and after it was all said and done I zip tied and put in a new bolt. After reinstalling everything and doing a camera reset through Forscan, it works perfectly.

All told, it was just over $200 and the dealership wanted $965. What a rip off. Funny thing sis the dealership sent me a nice form letter thanking me for choosing them to perform work on the car. I called them and told them that I actually didn't choose them to do anything except diagnose the problem because of the crazy high price they quoted me. I figured they probably just didn't want to do the job.

For all of you out there that think you can't do this yourself, trust me you can. My mechanical skills are limited to changing oil and sometimes the brakes.

If anyone has any questions while changing out your camera on the Ford Edge let me know.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Great info in this thread! My Wife's 2011 Limited with 116,000 started dropping the camera intermittently, but now shows the "contact your dealer" message every time it's put into reverse. I'm planning to order a camera and get this thing replaced.

On the fordparts website I see two cameras - build date before 2/15/2011 and after 2/16/2011. My build date is 9/16/2010. Do I get the camera to match my build date or do I get the new camera because it may be improved?

Edited by Laminar

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey xK317Hx - Just an FYI: I followed your procedure on replacing the backup camera by cutting a slot on the tip of the retainer screw and backing it out. Worked great and IMHO the quickest / easiest way to do it!

Because of the dramatic price increase for new OEM, I bought a camera online from a salvage yard who claims it was pulled from a 2014 model for about $100. I took the old one out and plugged in the one I bought - worked fine. Mounted it, tucked the wires and clipped/bolted the applique back on - worked fine. I then replaced the trim panel and finished up. When I tried it again later that evening, did NOT work. Extremely frustrating.

• 7 months later...

I just replaced the camera with new one bought from ebay for $72 CAD, but the image is the upside down!!! It is not showing the error message "camera not available .." as before.

Tried to recalibrae it with Forscan but it is not completing... is the new camera defective??

Edited by Sham_ip
  • Like 1

I recently bought a used 2011 Ford Edge and everything worked perfectly for about a month. Then, I received the dreaded back up camera message to see the dealership. Well, after much research I found a couple of posts that suggested it could be as simple as a software update. So, I take it to the dealership, where I had an 8 a.m. appointment, and after sitting in the waiting room for 50 minutes before my vehicle was even taken into a bay which was quite reminiscent of visiting a doctor's office, and after another hour in the bay, I was told that the camera was faulty. From reading this and many other forums and posts, I figured a camera replacement would set me back around 3 or 4 hundred dollars. Nope, I was quoted $965! I nearly threw up in my mouth! Obviously I declined but still had to pay $100 for the diagnosis which I estimated would be about that much.

I found on Amazon a genuine Ford part for just over $100 and was hoping that was all I needed. I also downloaded for free, Forscan and I already had the DLC connector from a previous project on a different vehicle.

It took me about 10 minutes to remove the interior rear lift cover and the Ford emblem assembly that holds the camera. Getting the camera itself was tough, and after it was all said and done I zip tied and put in a new bolt. After reinstalling everything and doing a camera reset through Forscan, it works perfectly.

All told, it was just over $200 and the dealership wanted $965. What a rip off. Funny thing sis the dealership sent me a nice form letter thanking me for choosing them to perform work on the car. I called them and told them that I actually didn't choose them to do anything except diagnose the problem because of the crazy high price they quoted me. I figured they probably just didn't want to do the job.

For all of you out there that think you can't do this yourself, trust me you can. My mechanical skills are limited to changing oil and sometimes the brakes.

If anyone has any questions while changing out your camera on the Ford Edge let me know.

• Like 1