Chrome clad covers can be removed

hobo5

I messed up two 18" wheels by hitting a curb. Called Ford dealer and was told I have to replace the wheels at a cost of $759.00 each. Well I found a set that were taken off another car and used the rims. I got the old wheels back home and proceeded to remove the covers with a large screwdriver. These covers are glued on to the wheels with what looks like some type of silicone material. There is a bead of it along the outside edge of the rim and one down each spoke. Underneath the cover is a finished wheel. Upon further inspection, on the back of the cover is a Ford part # Bt43-1007-C_PIa2 and a tag on the wheel that says they are made by Lack Enterprises for Ford.

The covers could be replaced, but Ford does not list this as a valid part. I think they are scamming us on this. They do not want to just sell a cover but instead want you to buy a new wheel.

I was told by the dealer that there is a $50.00 core charge if you do not have an old wheel. This is so Ford can take your old wheel and put a new cover on it and then resell.

It boils down to a simple matter. If one could get the new cover and proper adhesive, then put the adhesive on the wheel and apply the cover and let adhesive set up. The old adhesive looks like it was applied with a caulking gun.

By the way, the old adhesive comes off the wheel with a paint scraper or putty knife.

"was told I have to replace the wheels at a cost of $759.00 each" - wow unreal!!!

I'm pretty sure I would be replacing all 4 wheels with some very nice after markets for less than the cost for the two. Doesn't make sense why they would charge these inflated prices given the $895 they charge for these as a option.

Doesn't make sense why they would charge these inflated prices given the $895 they charge for these as a option.

Sure it does. $895 is not the cost for the wheels - it's the difference between the standard wheels and the optional wheels. So it costs an additional $224 per wheel over and above the standard wheels to get the upgraded wheels. The cost of the standard wheels are built into the price of the vehicle so you tend to ignore it. And of course they charge more for aftermarket parts than parts on a $40K vehicle.

The 19" H spoke wheels on my 2013 Fusion are a $695 upgrade but the same wheel aftermarket costs $550 each.

• 4 weeks later...

WOW, so Chrome Ford rims are nothing more than aluminum wheels with a set of $50 cheap covers glued on them? I guess that's better than the clip on ones found on EBAY....That would explain the cracking post by another member. Those plastic sh!t covers are worthless.

Edited by b1gbleu

• 2 weeks later...

Just in searching in google, here is a few links I found:

These fit the criteria for a 2011 Ford Edge:

http://www.carid.com/2011-ford-edge-wheel-covers/

http://www.hubcaphaven.com/ford_edge_hubcaps.htm

Thanks for the links but I have searched the internet and ebay before. nobldy seems to carry the popular 2011 - 2013 FORD EDGE 18X8, 10 SPOKES, CHROME CLAD, BT43-1007-CA hub caps or skins.

Edited by Beerhunter

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a spare damaged 20" chrome clad for my 2011 Edge Ltd. Sitting in the garage taking up space. Tempted to go to local wheel shop and try to sell.

But if I can take the cladding off, I may just do that, clean, get dent fixed and keep for a full size spare.

Was lucky to find a used in okay condition replacement kinda local (outside detroit) for about $300 or so.

• 8 months later...

I'm new to the forum here, and just found this post...and all I can say is that Ford should be ashamed of themselves for putting hubcaps on such a nice vehicle that costs around $40,000 new. You mean for that price they could not come up with something more creative than plastic hubcaps on such an expensive vehicle. Thats like putting hubcaps on a Shelby Mustang!!! :doh:

• 3 weeks later...

How hard is it to remove the plastic covers?

My wife curbed one pretty bad and the plastic is bent up a bit.

I looks horrible.

I would just pull all the covers off and go with the painted finish, but I am scared on what I find under the covers or if it will be too much work to get the plastic chrome covers off without damaging the finish underneath.

09021518591_zpsypnahbgt.jpg

Edited by carguy75

I'm new to the forum here, and just found this post...and all I can say is that Ford should be ashamed of themselves for putting hubcaps on such a nice vehicle that costs around $40,000 new. You mean for that price they could not come up with something more creative than plastic hubcaps on such an expensive vehicle. Thats like putting hubcaps on a Shelby Mustang!!! :doh:

They're not hubcaps and it's real chrome on the surface. They just used a plastic substrate which saves weight and won't corrode and pit over time like steel. Ours were 6 years old when we traded our 08 Edge and they looked like new. Downside is they're hard if not impossible to repair.

They're not hubcaps and it's real chrome on the surface. They just used a plastic substrate which saves weight and won't corrode and pit over time like steel. Ours were 6 years old when we traded our 08 Edge and they looked like new. Downside is they're hard if not impossible to repair.

Thank you for the information.

I read on a Dodge forum(they have chrome wheel covers as well) that you do have to have the wheel polished to remove all the epoxy.

The wheels on the Dodge look like crap with the covers off until he polished them.

I assume ours will look the same.

http://www.ramforum.com/f41/crome_clad_covers_glue_removal-7343/

• 1 month later...

One of mine got curb-rashed by the wife. I am looking at the same thing. If I can replace the skins, I'd be better off.

I feel your pain. :)

I would buy a replacement wheel but I know that an accident will just happen again so I may just remove the covers on the current wheels and have them powdercoated or PVD coated for a chrome look so it will be easier to repair in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

One of mine got curb-rashed by the wife. I am looking at the same thing. If I can replace the skins, I'd be better off.

Had the same problem, small areas of road rash.

I masked off the area and sprayed the scrape with spray chrome. (Forget the brand, bought at lowes).

Not a perfect fix, but helped a little.

Edited by enigma-2