13N02 - Extended Warranty Coverage on Brake Booster

omar302

Thanks a lot Haz. Very helpful as always. So now my MKX has extended warranties on the APIM, PTU & Booster! hopefully we'll also get the door lock actuators soon!

May I also ask if you have a PDF version of "13M01 - Middle East PTU Extended Warranty"? Member thirdgenlxi already provided me the text content, but a PDF would always be more helpful.

I believe all Edge's (at least for NA) are built at the Oakville plant in Canada. Your VIN will give you all the info you need regarding that.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/vin-decoder/

Now, exact date of build, I do not know. That may be on the door sticker (where they typically note things like gross vehicle weight and tire pressures) or on the online window sticker.

A variety of information, including Build Date, can be viewed by entering your vehicle's VIN on this site...

https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

After you input your VIN and click on Search, your Vehicle Summary page will be displayed.

Beneath the Minor Features heading of your Vehicle Summary page, make sure you click on the sentence "There are more minor features for this vehicle..." in order to see the full feature listing for your vehicle.

The Vehicle Summary page also lists Outstanding Field Service Actions for your vehicle.

Good luck!

• Like 2

got letter. adding to the ever growing list of either current or future problems. unbeleivable. i love how it says the tear may not kill you right away, but i just can't help but picture having to really use the braking power that one time when it's needed only to discover that the problem has been there long enough for me to take out myself and another car on the road. basically, every time i go in for service i might as well have them look at this to make sure.

got letter. adding to the ever growing list of either current or future problems. unbeleivable. i love how it says the tear may not kill you right away, but i just can't help but picture having to really use the braking power that one time when it's needed only to discover that the problem has been there long enough for me to take out myself and another car on the road. basically, every time i go in for service i might as well have them look at this to make sure.

The letter gives information of what to watch for if the booster were to develop a tear. It specifically states you may hear a hissing sound, and or the pedal will feel spongy. You can have them check it each time you take it in, but you could also see if they can show you how to check it yourself. That way you could check it how often you want.

No where in the letter can I find that it says the tear may not kill you right away. I think you are expressing your displeasure with this vehicle for some reason.

Clearly Im being sarcastic. If you are not sure why Im expressing my displeasure, check my thread under Owner Impressions section. What I mean is that the letter basically says this will not cause immediate break failure, but to keep waiting for the spongy feel or for hissing. I can do that or I can talk to friends who have no issues with their SUVs and dont have to wait for the day when this may or may not happen. I find it frustraing to constantly have to wonder what the next problem may be.

Got the letter this week. Already suspected something was wrong. Had noticed last week when I went to start my 2011 Edge that the pedal was hard and went all the way to floor and did not feel right. Thought the wife might have held her foot on the brake after she parked it last time. Got the letter and started checking and I am fairly sure mine is failing. Brake pedal is spongy and goes farther down then it normally does if you push on the pledal. And lf it sits for very long the pedal is hard when you push on the brake to start it. Still have brakes but they don't feel right. Taking it to the dealer in the morning. Will report back when I get it back.

Edited by curlysir

Yup. I didn't want to scare the member. But it's fluid loss somewhere. Chances of the master are high. Seeping into the booster. I wonder if he takes it to the dealer for the booster but gets refused because of the leak? I can see the dealer putting that argument. " sir, it's $72,000 dollar to repair. Your master cylinder ate the diaphragm on the booster. Is not covered no more, just covered in bake fluid. "

Probably explained it wrong. Pedal is hard after is has set for awhile like someone got in it and pushed the brake until all the vacuum is gone, which it is. As soon it starts it gets a pedal but is spongy and when you push it goes farther then normal not all the way to the floor.. I have a ford ESP so whatever is wrong will only cost me the deductible at worst. The dealer ordered the booster and will install it on Monday. I called today and asked him to make sure and check the master cylinder.

The first thing that I and my wife noticed was when starting the car after it had set for a period of time (over night) was that the brake pedal was hard. Push the brake pedal on your car without it running until all the vacuum is gone and then start it, that was the first symptom something was wrong. The brakes seemed ok but in hind sight it is now obvious that the pedal was spongy and we had just got used to it. This was before we got the letter from Ford detailing the program. After we got the letter we paid more attention to the brakes and the pedal felt soft and spongy as it would when you are losing vacuum in the booster.

There was nothing wrong with the master cylinder. The pedal would not go to the floor, it was spongy when stopping and after it had been setting a while there was no vacuum left in the booster.

curlysir, on 05 Feb 2014 - 12:14 AM, said:

The first thing that I and my wife noticed was when starting the car after it had set for a period of time (over night) was that the brake pedal was hard. Push the brake pedal on your car without it running until all the vacuum is gone and then start it, that was the first symptom something was wrong. The brakes seemed ok but in hind sight it is now obvious that the pedal was spongy and we had just got used to it. This was before we got the letter from Ford detailing the program. After we got the letter we paid more attention to the brakes and the pedal felt soft and spongy as it would when you are losing vacuum in the booster.

There was nothing wrong with the master cylinder. The pedal would not go to the floor, it was spongy when stopping and after it had been setting a while there was no vacuum left in the booster.

The problem is that Ford's way of testing the booster for vacuum leaks is to wait 10 minutes after shutting the engine off, if vacuum is present, booster is fine. I remember in most cars, vacuum would remain for at lease a day. With my MKX, currently barely getting an hour, maybe less, I don't usually notice it because I remote start it 90% of the time, but it is slowly failing.

Procedure is listed in page 15 (point 7) in attached document which I got from this forum.

Ford Edge Brakes Info.pdf

• Like 1

The problem is that Ford's way of testing the booster for vacuum leaks is to wait 10 minutes after shutting the engine off, if vacuum is present, booster is fine. I remember in most cars, vacuum would remain for at lease a day. With my MKX, currently barely getting an hour, maybe less, I don't usually notice it because I remote start it 90% of the time, but it is slowly failing.

Procedure is listed in page 15 (point 7) in attached document which I got from this forum.

Until recently my Edge could set for days without any lost of vacuum that I could notice. My other Fords, 2004 F-150, and 2005 Excursion are the same way. The Excursion will sometime set for several weeks and still have vacuum. If yours doesn't last an hour you have a problem of some kind.

curlysir, on 06 Feb 2014 - 03:49 AM, said:

Until recently my Edge could set for days without any lost of vacuum that I could notice. My other Fords, 2004 F-150, and 2005 Excursion are the same way. The Excursion will sometime set for several weeks and still have vacuum. If yours doesn't last an hour you have a problem of some kind.

Yes. I know I have a problem, but since it still passes Ford's test procedure, I cannot get it fixed now. Have to wait till it gets worse to fail the test.