Question for Todd, Our Ford Service Rep.

Larry

Hi All, Received a letter from Ford, there may be a problem with the power brake boosters on some 2010 thru 2013 Ford Edges. The letter states, a small tear could develop in the diaphragm causing braking problems. Fords Idea of fixing the problem is to extend the warranty to 10 years/150,000 miles, for this part. If the booster fails, Ford will replace it free of charge. The letter I received plays the problem down , saying a spongy or the pedal effort will increase but the fundamental braking system remains functional.

Ford is calling this problem a ( Customer Satisfaction Program 13N02 ) instead of having a recall.

Now my question for Todd. Is Ford waiting for a accident to happen where damage or worse an injury or death before Ford does a recall.

Below is the pdf for the problem.

http://allstatetrucks.com/images/Recalls/R13N02%202010%20thru%202013%20Edge%20and%20MKX.pdf

Thank you

Larry

Northern,In

2013 Edge SEL

Hi All, Received a letter from Ford, there may be a problem with the power brake boosters on some 2010 thru 2013 Ford Edges. The letter states, a small tear could develop in the diaphragm causing braking problems. Fords Idea of fixing the problem is to extend the warranty to 10 years/150,000 miles, for this part. If the booster fails, Ford will replace it free of charge. The letter I received plays the problem down , saying a spongy or the pedal effort will increase but the fundamental braking system remains functional.

Hi Larry,

Thank you for writing me. A Customer Satisfaction Program (CSP) is an available upgrade to a specific component or an extension of an existing warranty. I'm unable to comment on specific CSPs. Your dealer is in the best position to answer questions.

Todd

Edited by FordService

Hi Larry,

Thank you for writing me. A Customer Satisfaction Program (CSP) is an available upgrade to a specific component or an extension of an existing warranty. I'm unable to comment on specific CSPs. Your dealer is in the best position to answer questions.

Todd

Todd, Thanks.

I thought maybe you might know why Ford would take a chance of someone being injured or killed because of a brake problem. I know my letter states the ( fundamental braking system remains functional ) Like ford is telling me there is nothing to be concerned about. Ford states a small tear in the booster diaphragm could develop which could get bigger if the car isn't serviced.

I'm 70 years young and have had brake boosters go bad. On these cars the brake pedal went to the floor and had to pump the pedal to get stopped. No fluid leak either. I grant you these were older vehicles and things may have changed over the years.

Question for you. How does ford know the booster won't fail completely at one hard braking????

Now I have to remember to tell anyone who drives my car to watch out for a braking problem.

I've owned fords for many years and always had high respect for them but now I'm not so sure.

I know it would cost ford quite a bit but they should go ahead and replace the boosters on the problem cars and be done with it and put peoples minds at ease.

Larry

Ford is calling this problem a ( Customer Satisfaction Program 13N02 ) instead of having a recall.

Now my question for Todd. Is Ford waiting for a accident to happen where damage or worse an injury or death before Ford does a recall.

From what I've seen the brake booster failure does not cause an unsafe condition and is just as Ford describes, therefore a safety recall is not warranted. If it was the NHTSA would be all over it.

Asking if Ford is waiting for an injury or death to occur is totally out of line and asking Todd directly is WAY out of line especially when Ford is correct about there not being a loss of brake function.

Further similar questions or comments will be deleted.

• Like 1

Todd, Thanks.

I thought maybe you might know why Ford would take a chance of someone being injured or killed because of a brake problem. I know my letter states the ( fundamental braking system remains functional ) Like ford is telling me there is nothing to be concerned about. Ford states a small tear in the booster diaphragm could develop which could get bigger if the car isn't serviced.

I'm 70 years young and have had brake boosters go bad. On these cars the brake pedal went to the floor and had to pump the pedal to get stopped. No fluid leak either. I grant you these were older vehicles and things may have changed over the years.

Question for you. How does ford know the booster won't fail completely at one hard braking????

Now I have to remember to tell anyone who drives my car to watch out for a braking problem.

I've owned fords for many years and always had high respect for them but now I'm not so sure.

I know it would cost ford quite a bit but they should go ahead and replace the boosters on the problem cars and be done with it and put peoples minds at ease.

Larry

I've seen quite a few bad booster complaints here and nobody lost brake function as far as I can remember. If it really bothers you that much then either go ahead and replace it yourself or get rid of the vehicle. Nobody's holding a gun to your head.

I've seen quite a few bad booster complaints here and nobody lost brake function as far as I can remember. If it really bothers you that much then either go ahead and replace it yourself or get rid of the vehicle. Nobody's holding a gun to your head.

akirby,

Sorry you feel I was out of line. You're right, no one is holding a gun to my head.

Larry

I think Larry brought up a valid point about safety. I also think that if Ford put a bit more effort and found a way to explain to the owners their reasoning, it would put the owners' minds at ease about the whole affair. For instance, why there is no reasonable expectation of "sudden failure". Head the panic off at the pass.

But the letter specifically says that you won't lose brake function. Not sure what else Ford could possibly say.

From what I've seen here I think this only affects a small number of vehicles overall - maybe 5%-10%? It would be silly to do a recall and replace the brake booster on all vehicles if 90% of them are just fine - provided the failure does not create a safety problem.

Another comment/question about brake booster failure/replacement.

I took my letter from ford to 2 dealerships to ask why ford would say there will be one replacement only.

Since my car still has the 3 year bumper to bumper and I plan on buying the premium ESP plan later on. I asked what would happen if the booster would happen to fail again if my car is under warranty. Both service managers told me it's on me. This doesn't seem kosher since that part is covered under the bumper to bumper.

Hope someone can shed some light on this subject.

Thanks

Larry

I would believe that if the part failed again, and you are under either the B2B warranty, or the extended warranty, it would be covered. I take it to mean only one time if there is no additional warranty were it to fail again. An extended warranty is after all an insurance policy and it states specifically what will be covered. If Ford doesn't want it included in the ESP, they will have to remove it form the list of coverage, or send a letter to all ESP owners about the policy change.

I really wouldn't worry about it until or unless it happens.

I just received my letter the other day, and one interesting thing I noted is that the fundamental brake function will not fail, according to Ford. It does state however that the pedal effort will increase to stop the vehicle because the tear will expand if not serviced. Wonder if it will be almost like manual brakes?

The reason for one replacement, I believe, is that there was a certain batch (rather a large one) that had this defect. I would expect the replacements to be of newer batches such as those installed in newer Edges/MKX not included in the extended warranty.

In any case, my understanding, if the original warranty is still valid, it would be replaced under it & you still have the extended warranty. Also, when the new part is installed, it still has a standard (12 month/12K mile) if the original B2B warranty is expired.

• 7 months later...

The brake booster on my 2010 Ford Edge was just replaced at the Ford Dealer. It cost >$600. The dealer said it was not one of the select 2010's that warranted Ford to replace. It should have been. What are my options to have my car included. This not a part I think should have to be replaced with <78K miles.

The brake booster on my 2010 Ford Edge was just replaced at the Ford Dealer. It cost >$600. The dealer said it was not one of the select 2010's that warranted Ford to replace. It should have been. What are my options to have my car included. This not a part I think should have to be replaced with <78K miles.

If your car isn't included it's because it wasn't built with a bad part. There are many different ways a brake booster can fail. Ford's extended warranty only covers one type of failure. Your car likely failed in a different way, even though it's the same part.

Every part on every Ford is designed to last 150K miles. So no part should ever have to be replaced before 150K miles, but that's not how the world works. The warranty you paid for is very specific on what is covered, it does not include your opinion on what should not break at what time.

• Like 1

Good morning vshilling,

Please send me a PM with your full name and VIN and I'll look into possible options on my end. Thanks!

We have a Ford Customer Service Rep on this forum (Tricia) who may be able to help you with this, vshilling. She took over from Todd.

Hey WWWPerfA_ZN0W,

I'm in no way trying to confuse anyone, but for the time being, Tricia and I will be working concurrently on the Ford Edge Forum. Have no fear ... we sit near each other so nothing will be missed. :)

You can double check to see if your vehicle should have been included, but if Ford didn't include it (and the dealer didn't make a mistake) it will be difficult to have it covered. Tricia is your best bet.

Very true, akirby. Check here to see if a vehicle is part of an active recall.

Todd

• 9 months later...

I thought this was a cost free repair? Dealer wants 150$ for putting their feet on the pedal and hear the hiss nose and feel the typical hard pedal symptom. I didn't leave the car... ill call ford and see if they are wrong. Some people have gotten done free of charge here. Wth?

Edited by 2011edgese

I thought this was a cost free repair? Dealer wants 150$ for putting their feet on the pedal and hear the hiss nose and feel the typical hard pedal symptom. I didn't leave the car... ill call ford and see if they are wrong. Some people have gotten done free of charge here. Wth?

Hello 2011edgese,

Please PM your VIN along with your mileage. I’ll take a look! :)

Tricia

• 8 months later...

Guys

my ford edge 2011 SE is now facing this issue and I hardly can stop when I want and I am hearing that spongy sound every time I push the pedal, my question is that, I am not in USA, I am in middle east now this warranty will cover my country as well or again I should get back to my dealer and wait for their reply ?

thanks.