Edge brakes

I'm looking to buy an Edge Limited...we like it very much, and are comparing to the Mazda CX-7. Edmunds reports that the brakes on the Edge takes 153 ft. to stop from 60mph...while the CX-7 takes 113 ft. This is a BIG difference in a panic situation. So, I'm looking for feedback from other owners on this issue....

I'm looking to buy an Edge Limited...we like it very much, and are comparing to the Mazda CX-7. Edmunds reports that the brakes on the Edge takes 153 ft. to stop from 60mph...while the CX-7 takes 113 ft. This is a BIG difference in a panic situation. So, I'm looking for feedback from other owners on this issue....

There are a couple of threads on the board that discuss this issue in detail. I think you will find the info you are looking for there...

That was the 2007 models - the 2008 models have Michelin tires and are supposed to have improved braking. The CX-7 is a lot smaller than the Edge so keep that in mind, too.

That was the 2007 models - the 2008 models have Michelin tires and are supposed to have improved braking. The CX-7 is a lot smaller than the Edge so keep that in mind, too.

That's a negative...about 10 cu ft less luggage capacity...but it handles like a sports car and is very quick...this is for my wife, so the braking issue is a concern...I have read the other threads but no one has definitively stated how the issue has been resolved in 2008.

I have the CX-7 and let me tell you, the EDGE's brakes are just terrible in comparison(because I can hear ABS in the EDGE when braking hard), but nothing that can't be fixed with new pads, brake lines and rotors, I also believe that Ford changed over to Vented rotors in the back after it got around about the long braking distances. But in reality they're not that long. The CX-7 is Sport Sedan, the EDGE is like, sunset cruiser, so its not all that fair to compare.

Edited by CreamEDGE.

I have the CX-7 and let me tell you, the EDGE's brakes are just terrible in comparison(because I can hear ABS in the EDGE when braking hard), but nothing that can't be fixed with new pads, brake lines and rotors, I also believe that Ford changed over to Vented rotors in the back after it got around about the long braking distances. But in reality they're not that long. The CX-7 is Sport Sedan, the EDGE is like, sunset cruiser, so its not all that fair to compare.

Are you pleased with your decision to have hte CX-7 vs. the Edge?

I bought them both :confused: I really like the EDGE, and its really nice for laid back driving, it rides very softly, but I'm sport inclined so I would say that I love the CX-7, and would pick the CX-7 if I had to. Again they're not really in the same class, the CX-7 rides firm and sticks to the road, its also noisier, but you get really great midrange acceleration, Best brakes, excellent handling, and a nice interior that compliments the Standard setting exterior. And it feels like it has a lot more torque.

Edited by CreamEDGE.

I bought them both :confused: I really like the EDGE, and its really nice for laid back driving, it rides very softly, but I'm sport inclined so I would say that I love the CX-7, and would pick the CX-7 if I had to. Again they're not really in the same class, the CX-7 rides firm and sticks to the road, its also noisier, but you get really great midrange acceleration, Best brakes, excellent handling, and a nice interior that compliments the Standard setting exterior. And it feels like it has a lot more torque.

I drove both and chose the Edge. The CX-7 had way too many blind spots in my opinion. That, and the Edge had way better incentives to purchase.

I drove both and chose the Edge. The CX-7 had way too many blind spots in my opinion. That, and the Edge had way better incentives to purchase.

Yeah, well I got my CX-7 under invoice, and the EDGE has more blind spots for me, nothing a quick look over the shoulder cannot cure in both.

Again, the CX-7 is sport, the EDGE is Easy Driving.

If you need to haul anything bigger than a lawn mower, you will need the Edge. A discounted the CX7 in my search because it has no towing capacity. In addition, you need premium fuel to get the HP out of the turbo four. I agree that the CX7 is not in the same catagory as the Edge, you have to ask yourself what do you need the car to do.

Okay but the difference is, a much better and more exciting power delivery(like two dollars over regular), More modifiability, these things can get over 300HP in no time, from bolt ons, The V6 is smooth, but once you have boost you never want anything else(performance wise), and I wouldn't tow anything with the EDGE considering how scared of the brakes I would be, they need a full upgrade before I would even consider it, and thats really not the reason I would buy a Unibody SUV, to tow 3000 pounds and stress everything out.

These are 2 CUV's going after 2 completely different markets.

Dead on point!

I have read, over and over again, about the comparisons between the two and how terrible the Edge's brakes are..blah blah blah.

Sure...there is a longer stopping distance. Sure...there is a very long stopping distance with the Edge.

But you know what? If you are a careful, AWARE driver, you won't ever need to worry about this issue. I have an extremely heavy foot when I drive. But I also drive very defensively. I have had the fortune to have gone through various defensive/evasive driving courses with the military and the government so I am more than confident in my driving ability.

In every day driving, if you are aware of what is going on around you, you drive for the conditions, this simply won't be an issue.

(hey Sgt - you in the military?)

Dead on point!

I have read, over and over again, about the comparisons between the two and how terrible the Edge's brakes are..blah blah blah.

Sure...there is a longer stopping distance. Sure...there is a very long stopping distance with the Edge.

But you know what? If you are a careful, AWARE driver, you won't ever need to worry about this issue. I have an extremely heavy foot when I drive. But I also drive very defensively. I have had the fortune to have gone through various defensive/evasive driving courses with the military and the government so I am more than confident in my driving ability.

In every day driving, if you are aware of what is going on around you, you drive for the conditions, this simply won't be an issue.

(hey Sgt - you in the military?)

I do agree...

I drive carefully, hardly ever taking my eyes off the road. When others do something crazy, I usually catch it and am able to avoid it...

Our Edge towed my 19 ft Eastern CC with no problems, this brake issue in a smoke screen from what I can in real world driving experiance. I have an Audi with boost but I prefer the smoothness of V6. There is no replacemnt for displacment (yet). To each his own.

The ABS noise is off putting, but I feel just fine stopping it.

They're is a replacement, they call it a turbocharger(IE BMW twin turbo, FSI 2.0).

The ABS noise is off putting, but I feel just fine stopping it.

To have activated the ABS you have to really slam on the breaks to the point of locking up the wheel rotation. Then the ABS limit's that and activate's. Yes it might make some noise, it's doing it's job of trying to make an emergency stop for you in the shortest length possible. By your comments do you do this all the time, to be annoyed by it. The 3 valve ABS unit is located under the battery tray in the engine compartment. You should be glad you hear it, and know that it just did it's job for you and you got your money's worth out of it.

I too drive very carefully. Something I learned I suppose from having a big motorcycle as a teenager in Florida (where there was always a blue-hair trying to kill me).

I have never yet had occasion to need the ABS and therefore have yet to hear it.

Kinda makes me wonder what it sounds like. Maybe I'll go test out a hard braking situation on a nice safe back road.

All in all I think my Edge stops just fine.

Can't forget the car weighs in much heavier than one might think by looking at it.

I suppose too the bigger, better tires and stiffer springs on my Edge contribute as well to mine seeming to brake very well indeed.

Edited by scoopo

I dont really see any realy braking problems. When I do stop going 45+, my brakes seem to drone. Is that normal? I havent driven a car based vehicle in some time. Also, has anybody heard of wierd smells and maybee a little smoke due to the brakes. I need to take it in I guess. Any thoughts?

I'm not happy at all with the braking of the Edge when I'm tooling around town in a hurry to get some were.

The brakes are probably heating up and causing them to become too soft and non-responsive.

If anyone has found after-market performance rotors, calipers, and pads, please let me know.

Thanks.