SYNC - Black Screen of Death ...

Something weird happened today. I received the Black Screen for the first time (2011 Ford Edge Sport). I pulled the fuse multiple times (the main fuse that delivers power to fuse 29). The radio worked for about a minute each time, but then turned off. However, the screen never came on. It was always stayed on the black screen. Any ideas what this might be?

Hi Manny2525,

Please make an appointment with your dealership so they can diagnose and correct this. Let me know how it goes!

I should have my Edge back monday or tuesday if it simply just works.

Let me know how your system is working when you get it back, Tacyon.

Rebecca

• 2 weeks later...

Got my baby back ... 13 days later !

tl:dr: APIM R&R, ABMR lubed with PTFE now works, damper valve "adjusted" - both dash vent are at the same temperature.

I had a "laundry list" of items that needed attention. but some of that time was waiting for the APIM module and proving some of the things I'd asked to be taken care of.

1) APIM module R&R

2) (related?) drivers side airbag light would periodically come on. Turned out to be NOT related.

3) BAMR darn near stalls at the 6" closed mark. (binding issue)

4) driver side dash vent doesn't keep up with the passenger's side. Not has hot when heating. Not as cold when cooling. Both by a significant difference.

Two things I've learned .. 1) if its to be replaced under warranty. you HAVE to be able to demonstrate the issue. Both with codes and "its dead Jim!"

2) you have to be able to demonstrate the issue to multiple people.

In my case .. the first :shrug: was the APIM module. Luckily I'd brought it in while it was in a failure mode and the service writer witnessed it dead. So when I actually brought it in for the service to be done, and it was working. He told the mechanic .. NO, I saw it [center console screen] was dead. No life. The mechanic tried for several hours to get it to not work which if finally did so. I was told, that they need to get a failure code from the unit that is tied to that units serial it order to get the warranty unit authorized. Since its a code tied to the my specific APIM module they couldn't put "the code" in that they suspected to describe the failure. Out of 10 tests that are run on the APIM module, mine failed 6 of them. Once of which had a secondary code indicating an issue with a transmission module that was resolved by its firmware being updated. I'd inquired about the difference in the APIM module. I DID NOT want a repaired/rebuilt unit. I was told (again) that this newer revised APIM module was a completely difference main board, processing unit (aka CPU) and therefore firmware/software that runs it. He [the very knowledgeable mechanic] said that simply put .. "yeah .. this one works !" The only programming I lost was minor settings for ambient lighting, and the main screen wallpaper, and some sound settings like balance and fade settings. All my stations (radio & sat) etc were in place. No difference perceived in the navigation system or voice recognition systems.

Next on my list was the driver side airbag light .. at first they (and I) thought it was tied to the APIM failure .. as it was extinguished after the replacement of the APIM. However, in the "try again guys" for the dash vent issue ... it reappeared .. (remember the lesson learned - "able to demonstrate the issue") For this .. they actually had to replace the entire airbag unit .. (thank god for extended premium warranties)

Third item .. BAMR .. I was skeptical that lube would fix it .. but it did. No perceived slow down at all and appears to be slight faster overall. Now.. the question everyone is wondering .. "what lube did they use" and I asked. Ford Blue PTFE grease. And its application was not where I'd expected due to my lack of the rail design. There are two split rubber trim pieces that the rear rails slide back into on the outside of the roof. They're obviously NOT sealed and like to gather dust, dirt, debris, small airboard creatures and even small neighborhood kids. (kidding on that last one) They got into that area, cleaned it out and applied a liberal amount of this blue PTFE lube. And by liberal amount .. I mean .. I requested that they go back over it and wipe up the excess that was visible the entire length. There are also silver "ramps" that divide the front rail sections from the rear rail sections and they applied liberal amounts to this as well. However, it does NOT appear to come in contact with it during normal operation as its untouched after several cycles. The verdict is still out on this one as to the longevity of this solution AND I suspect that this blue PTFE with its sticky consistency is going to do more to hold debris the it helps the slide action. But my "knowledgeable mechanic" Mike did tell me that Ford's first recommended stance was no lube at all .. but they they've since rescinded that and are now recommending the PTFE lube.

Forth and final item was the driver side dash vent. When they first looked at it .. they reported that they were unable to find anything wrong. "Working as intended" :censored: and they told me this on the phone call that my truck was ready to be picked up. First thing I did was the warm the engine with the windows open keeping the passenger compartment cool and got the service manager. Then I employed the "learned lesson" and again "demonstrate the issue to multiple people." and was successful. They kept it three more days but the end result was ... it appears to be fixed now.

Sorry for the wall of text .. but I know I like details when reading for a purpose. My 2011 Edge is going to hit 70,000 this tank. So lets hope that was it for large service trips..

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

Can I buy the apim and install it myself. Where can I order it or do I have to get it from Ford? I have a 2011 Edge and the screen is black. I have tried to reset but nothing. I am not sure if the 5 years is up or not.

Carl (fixit66)

Please do. :)

Rebecca

We finally got our issues resolved almost a year later. The first dealer that screwed it up (3 times) we never returned to. Because they initiated the repair ford warranty wouldn't pay for the reconfiguration that was required when they (the previous dealer) didn't properly finalize the programming. Luckily our "new" dealer only charged 1/2 hour labor (maybe the $3800 for 2 extended warranties had something to do with it).

Ford really sucks here, this isn't the first time that they wouldn't pay for a repair when one of their "authorized" dealers messed something up. It happened at least twice if not three times with my 6.4 now with the edge.

• 3 weeks later...

Can I buy the apim and install it myself. Where can I order it or do I have to get it from Ford? I have a 2011 Edge and the screen is black. I have tried to reset but nothing. I am not sure if the 5 years is up or not.

Carl (fixit66)

yes you can, i just did this find one online from a salvage yard and it is just a couple of peices of trim you pop off then a few screws

• 1 year later...

I thought I posted, can't find it. Sorry if I did already.

I know this is old. But maybe some one can give me advice.

My 2013 Escape with MyFord Touch and Nav just died. Black screen and nothing at all works. The vehicle is out of warranty by time not mileage. 3 years 5 months and 34000 miles on it.

I took it to the dealer, and after testing told me the APIM was bad and the touch screen tested good. The APIM had the extended warranty on it so I should be good. Well after installing the new APIM the system still was still dead. They called Ford for advice, and now there saying that the touch screen is bad as well and that is not covered. They quoted me a price (Expencive), I told them to go ahaid and make the repair, what else can I do. They did contact Ford on my behalf about helping with the repair, but that was a no go.

The repair is scheduled for next week.

I was wondering if any one knows of anything else I could try? I've already tried pulling the negative battery cable. It just seems odd that the APIM would go bad and they would change it then they say the touch screen is bad.

Not a happy camper.

I've already looked at the 2016 Edge but I'm holding off till 2017 so I can get the Blue jean matalic paint that will be avalable in 2017. Might have to look at the GMC version of the Chevy Equinox.

Thanks for any advice

First off my experience lately with our Fords has been awful, so sorry in advance if my response sounds off key.

I'd call customer service (just went this route on my F350 diesel). In your case dealer said bad APIM, screen fine warranty repair, Now screen is bad, obviously dealer screwed up screen (not necessarily, but I'd go that route). Then the fact that they have a bunch of problems with these. They should good will it as you're so close on warranty. Just don't roll over that's what they want you to do.

It took 6 months for them to fix an uncontrollable death wobble on my truck (technician suggested letting it crash), finally they replaced the steering box as I suggested and the problem is resolved, after (3) $100 deductibles, you get one every time they open a new work order.

• 4 weeks later...
hello,

I am also facing a black screen for the 2nd time.

there six months, the screen is black stay for more than two months, and it suddenly started working again. some months later, it is the rear camera which has stop working. I change and everything is ok until three weeks back. the screen is back to black. I bring my edge sport in 2012 at the dealer so that trying to do a sync reset. because when I disconnect the battery, nothing works.

they keep the vehicle one day, and no way to run sync. I asked them to change the sync unit since I still enjoys the 5-year warranty extension. but they answered me that I could not get this guarantee because it is reserved for the US market. I am in Europe, my edge was imported to the US.

anyone know how I can get the sync replacement under warranty?

I am willing to take the replacement at my expense. I would at least that the warranty covered my sync module.

Thank you for your help

• 4 weeks later...

Took my car to the dealer with black screen of death, they wanted me to pay almost $900 to replace the APIM, I said no, and paid $100 for the diagnostics. The next day my battery died, replaced that, a few days later my Ford Touch screen is back working like a charm. Think it was related to the battery, wish I never wasted money/time at the dealer!

Took my car to the dealer with black screen of death, they wanted me to pay almost $900 to replace the APIM, I said no, and paid $100 for the diagnostics. The next day my battery died, replaced that, a few days later my Ford Touch screen is back working like a charm. Think it was related to the battery, wish I never wasted money/time at the dealer!

• Like 1

My 2013 Escape did the same thing, dealer said if it was APIM it would be covered under warranty. I dropped it off and got a call And was told it wa the APIM but it had to be ordered. When it came In the dealer changed the APIM, they called me and said its still dead and needed it another day while they waited for Ford tech to get back to them. They called me again today and told me its still not working after doing the advice giving to them by Ford And wanted to keep it another day, they have another call in to them. After that they Said the screen is bad. 3 or 4 days out and about $1100.00.

The final results with my, MyFord touch. After 30 days it's finally fixed. Screen was order then not ordered but finally it came in and installed. It ended up costing me $600.00, dealer said it was less and they knocked off $200.00 on there end in good will.

I'm thinking of sending a letter to Ford custome relations and see what happens, especially since the APIM had the warranty extended and that and the screen died.

I'd call customer service, had to w/my F350 more than once. If you get no where ask for the next person up, they'll pretend @ first there's no such person but there is. That tends to get some feathers roused.

If you can't "click" on it they more than likely don't know how to open it so I don't think a letter would work.

• 1 year later...

I'm having the same issue as many others here. Not really wanting to resurrect an old post, but I'm just trying to get some answers/solutions.

My 2011 Edge has the Black Screen of Death as well. I have had success in the past with pulling the fuse and/or pulling the battery cable, but for now it seems the unit is kaput.

Oddly enough, when I pull the fuse/battery cable the unit still will function through the steering wheel controls, but the screen is black. I can tune into a radio station, but after a minute or so the unit stops all together. The time still shows up as "00:00" on my dash display and the defrost/AC controls on the console still function but the charging port and AUX Inputs in the center console armrest do not work either.

I am sure it isn't a battery issue as I recently had that replaced with an AGM battery that is sufficiently well above the OEM specs for a battery.

My mother purchased the vehicle new in 2011 and I was willed it when she passed, so I am fairly certain it is out of warranty. What kind of pricing am I looking at to get this resolved? Having a 30 minute commute each day is tough with no stereo.

Might be a good time to upgrade to Sync3 (software/hardware). You can purchase the parts and program it yourself, but it will take some trial and error to get settings right.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/22486-sync-3-installed-in-a-2012-limited/

Or you could pull the unit and send it to circuitboardmedics, I am not sure they have repaired APIMs/screens in particular, but they do a lot of these types of repairs. If it can be fixed, the odds are good they can do it.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Might be a good time to upgrade to Sync3 (software/hardware). You can purchase the parts and program it yourself, but it will take some trial and error to get settings right.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/22486-sync-3-installed-in-a-2012-limited/

Or you could pull the unit and send it to circuitboardmedics, I am not sure they have repaired APIMs/screens in particular, but they do a lot of these types of repairs. If it can be fixed, the odds are good they can do it.

Can this be done even if the system seems to be unresponsive? I am not able to interface with the unit via the touchscreen at all.

I would highly recommend PM'ing fordpimods (fordpimods.com). That's were I bought my replacement and programmed APIM for around $600. Very fast and efficient service. I haven't had any issues after replacing my APIM. You can find instructions on how to replace it on YouTube. IMO, this is your best option. I looked at other options: dealership replacement, upgrading to SYNC3 replacement and both of them are much more expensive options.

• 6 months later...

My 2011 Edge Limited has the Black screen of death.

Hit a bump and it came back on. Hit another and it went off, to not turn on again.

Have all my dash displays fine, just no radio, camera, nav, phone...

Any ideas?

My local dealer isn't very helpful and just wanted to charge me $800 plus labor to fix.

This was over the phone of course. They didn't seem over joyed to help me. :(

My understanding most of the issue is related to the APIM. Sync2 APIMs can be bought on ebay pretty cheap but you never know how long they will last. You may be able to find a user who updated to Sync3 and may be able to get you the complete Sync2 unit cheap. If I wasn't holding onto both of mine to put back into my 2011 Edge and 2013 F150 I'd send you one for shipping cost since they are really just collecting dust until I get ready to trade the vehicles off.

Hit a bump and it came back on. Hit another and it went off, to not turn on again.

Any ideas?

My local dealer isn't very helpful and just wanted to charge me $800 plus labor to fix.

• 3 weeks later...

Any ideas?

Couple of thoughts:

Try holding the Radio Power button and Right Seek to soft reset the computer. If this doesn't work, try a soft reset by removing the + battery cable for a few minutes. (This often works).

Check fuse 29 if the ACM (radio) is completely dead. (If your still getting audio the fuse is probably good).

Another common cause is the battery is old and failing (even if it's able to start the car without problems). You need to take a capacity reading on it, not just a voltage reading.

My 2012 Limited edge had black screen....on and off for a while. Finally just stayed off. Put in new APIM. Now fine. Delership gave me "lifetime" warranty on the new APIM. $892 plus tax....I'm satisfied. Just a maintenance item to me. First repair expense I've had on this car in 6 1/2 years. Good car.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not able to find the exact same part number for my APIM in a loaded 2011 Lincoln MKX, I was going to try and reprogram a different one using Forsacn. I already have the interface to connect to the vehicle, but I am curious if anyone knows if there is still certain part numbers that are compatible or programmable to match what I have? in other words, my part number is BT4T-14D212-BS... I can find a multitude of part numbers with the "14D212" matching, but do the other characters matter if I am reprogramming to match my "as built" from the ford site?

Cwilky34