What to expect at 200,000+ miles

macbwt

I am looking at a Black 2008 Ford Edge. I am going to have to bit the bullet on this TB and trade it. Better to be paying for a vehicle that runs then to be paying for a vehicle that does not and is nothing more than a money pit of mechanical issues. I had to do this with another chevy, which is how I ended up with the Orange Crush.

Well folks the ride was fun. The orange crush's days are numbered. Wife: She insists that I get rid of the TB and the Orange Crush must go with it. Financial benefits admittedly dictate that the costs to maintain the Orange Crush are just not working out. Got the pre approval for a loan today and the check will be in this week. I am aiming for a 2011 or 2012 (most likely a 2011) Trying to go for a limited but may end up with a SEL. Want just a few more features. Just a note it seems like the trade in value I have been quoted is 3K not bad for the miles. Been a good run, but financially like I said it is time to put the orange crush out to pasture. Who knows you may see it at a buy/here Pay/here car lot in your neighborhood. This however will not end MercyGirl productions as the wife 2011 needs new spark plugs. Rest assured I will be putting which ever car I buy into the fast lane for mileage!!!

Been looking and found a 2012 Limited. With trade I should be looking at about 18K to 19K. If I do get this one on this coming Saturday the Wife has already laid dibbs on it and I guess the 2011 will become my new work vehicle. I guess she likes the two sun roofs and the push button start with navigation which her current 2011 does not have. Oh well at least I know I may be driving a better newer vehicle. For sure I will be changing plugs sooner rather than later on the 2011 if this occurs this saturday. Any one Road Trip to Naperville Illinois!!! About a three hour drive one way for the car.

Concerning the Orange Crush it has been actually one of the most reliable vehicles I have driven in the last 13 years. I can not complain about the service it has provided, but in the end everything wears out and even in business you have to weigh the cost of ownership and the benefits of updating. I know I could make it run past 300K but it would of course take time and money to make it there. I do look forward to driving a new Ford Edge though.

Ā 

I will however compile a listing of what I did to the Ford Edge as far as service and parts just as a close out for folks to understand what it took to get to this point.

Edited by macbwt
  • Like 1

Things to do this week. Return the transmission torque mount. Remove new bug deflector from the 2008 and see if it will fit the 2011. Akirby for you I will remove the K&N from the Orange Crush and install it in the 2011 (need the extra hp and mpg) lol I will also be swapping out my brand new installed wipers front and back with the 2011. If you look at these items they all add up and the Orange Crush is going into the market as a whole sale so it will not matter to the dealer as to what I remove or swap. I may even swap out the new shocks I just in stalled on the orange crush and put them on the 2011. The shock on the 2011 have over 90k miles and the orange crush are maybe 5K miles. It all adds up and why send new parts to the junk yard.

• Like 1

Got the orange crush cleaned out. I need to do this more often. I bet it threw away about a 13 gallon trash can full of unneeded stuff. Took out four totes of files and three fire extinguishers. One the pin holder had fall off of. Now that would make a mess if it went off inside. LOL. Nice to do housekeeping in the car. Not much of a swap going on as I am really busy through Friday and I have decided to start out with new stuff rather than swapping parts. Looking at two possibly three edges when we are in the area of chicago this saturday. should be an adventure.

• Like 1

Say hello to the new replacement for the Orange Crush. Look familiar? Yes it is the 2011 Ford Edge Limited Cinnamon Metallic that she was driving.

Ā 

Her new car is a 2011 Ford Edge Metallic Blue Limited with the full option package, power rear lift, navigation, full sun roofs, push button start and remote start, adaptive speed control, collision avoidance, bliss etc. purchased under the Ford Certified program. Mileage was 75K and local trade. Got it for $18,500.00post-28743-0-37701500-1433976008_thumb.jpg

Edited by macbwt

Attached is the photo of the new to us 2011 Blue Ford Edge Limited then the 2011 Cinnamon Metallic Limited the far in the back the Orange Crush just before it was taken away. I guess this is the close out of this topic on the the Orange Crush final miles on the Orange Crush was 285,424 miles. The Head Manager actually got involved in the trade which they gave me 3288.00 on. They were rather amazed at the fact that everything worked and it started and ran flawlessly.

Ā 

Now the 2011 Cinnamon has some big shoes to fill wonder how it will handle the new task that has just been assigned? 600 miles in the next two days.

post-28743-0-76518900-1433976367_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I watched that video which is where I got the idea to test my oil. Only thing I find about this Chrisfix guy that is funny is for a guy that does repair videos his maintenance on his vehicles is terrible.

And since now we will never know about the OC, here's a standin:

@macbwt

Ā 

Congrats on the new ride(s) & great job getting all those miles.

Ā 

I noticed that you now have 2 different build of the 2011 Edge. The early build (Blue) has larger side mirrors versus the newer build (Cinnamon) smaller mirrors. Being the owners & drivers of both, did you notice any difference in wind noise?

I was wondering about the mirrors and marked it up to the Bliss system being in the mirrors on BLUE. Believe it or not both vehicles I believe were built on almost the same day!! I will check the manufacturer dates but while I was buying BLUE the date of MFG sure sounded like the date for the Cinnamon Metallic. I went out and checked and the MFG for Blue is 1/11 and Cinnamon is 2/11 exactly one month apart. Nice catch on the mirrors. That being said unless the APIM has been replaced I am going to assume that I will soon have the BLUE in for a new APIM especially since it was an even earlier version. Just a note BLUE was driven an average of 16,800 miles yearly vice Cinnamon's 20,222 miles yearly. Clearly the Cinnamon has higher (most likely highway miles on it).

Ā 

To be honest have not had BLUE on the interstate. I was busy checking shifting, bumps and other issues. Nothing came up and it runs great. In comparison the 2011 Edge's are hands down a better ride than the 2008 models, quieter, and smoother. I think I will enjoy the additional creature comforts of leather seats and automatic lights etc. My Orange crush was manual everything.

@macbwt

Congrats on the new ride(s) & great job getting all those miles.

I noticed that you now have 2 different build of the 2011 Edge. The early build (Blue) has larger side mirrors versus the newer build (Cinnamon) smaller mirrors. Being the owners & drivers of both, did you notice any difference in wind noise?

• Like 1

They must of made the changes in between 11 Jan 2011 and 11 Feb 2011

If you like details, check also the rear spoiler, have also noticed they are different. Couldn't see you cars from the back, but newer 2011 & all 2012-2014 have a different rear spoiler.

Difficult, Grammar is. LOL Yoda!!!

Ā 

First day out with Cinnamon Edge. Time for new rotors and pads. I only drove it in town generally with the wife. Once I hit the interstate the warped rotors became very noticable. Stand by for a four wheel brake video by MercyGirl Productions with VideoKat as the signature ending. VideoKat will be the newest assistant. MOMOSHA wants to oversee the whole thing. Best part is I will be using two cameras for multiple angles on the next video. I will also include a very detailed step by step removal and installation of a K&N air filter so that Akirby can gain a better understanding of air filters of this type. LOL

• Like 1