What to expect at 200,000+ miles

macbwt

Next week changing the serpetine, but what are your thoughts on changing/replacing the whole tensioner or just the wheel/bearing? I figure the bearing and tensioner replacement will equal to the same amount of work. Just comes down to cost. Bearing is cheaper by 60 bucks.

I don't know specifics on the Edge, but for the same amount of work, I'd replace the complete tensioner. All new parts rather than a mix of old & new, should last just as long as the current set or longer.

Ā 

Item Part Number Description

1 8620 Accessory drive belt

2 W503278 Accessory drive belt tensioner bolt (3 required)

3 6B209 Accessory drive belt tensioner

4 6C301 Power steering pump drive belt

Ā 

Since you have the belt off anyway, might as well replace the power steering belt too, if you have access to the "special tools" for it. I think others on the forum have done it without the special tools tho, IIRC.

post-23566-0-87232300-1422116065_thumb.gif

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

PVC is replaced. I just asked for the qoute to get an idea of savings. The tensioner I purchased was OEM. I found some for the price you have but they were not OEM parts, but some sort of knock off, which is the cost the shop was going to charge me. So I went with OEM due to most places saying they could not get the part until the end of the week, which does not fit my window for being back on the road. The belts I purchased are Gates brand. About 40 dollars with tax. The 45 price actually included the PCV after I looked at the receipts. I have a few days early this week as down time and paperwork days so I am taking advantage of it to get the belts and tensioner replaced.

I went into the Army Base and used the auto skill center and lift to perform some work on my 2008 Ford Edge. As with anything mechanical I do I always have to pay with my pound of flesh and this was no exception to that rule. I will be editing a video of the process although not a highly produced piece it will give the beginner a idea of what to look for and how to accomplish changing out the Power steering stretchy belt, serpetine belt and the tensioner.

1. The job took me about two hours even though I was there longer. I was busy with other things you will see post such as videos.

2. The long part was removing the plastic wheel cover in the wheel well. Did not help that the snow on the top of the car was melting a providing cool refreshing showering drips on me the whole time.

3. The removal of the serpetine belt was fairly easy with the aid of the tensioner tool (you need thin tools for this)

4. The removal and installation of the power steering stretchy belt was easy. I cut it off (i am crazy in that way) Two zip ties and a large socket wrench and the stretchy belt took about 10 minutes to replace (Thank you God) The rest tried my patience trust me.

5. Removing the bolts on the tensioner (8mm) if you want to know. Requires a ratcheting wrench/with box end. Take deep breaths and remove all three bolts 1/8th of a turn at a time, yep this is where you think good thoughts and ponder your lifes mission. The bonus is you get to reverse this process when you reinstall. I recommend some minor stretching a large drink of water to relax.

6. Once the tensioner is now reinstalled (sigh) you can move on to the serpetine re-install goes fairly well just a lot of positioning

7. (Break) called wife confessed my love to her and then went back to work reinstalling the plastic wheel well covering.

8. While installing the plastic wheel well cover I had to get some new plastic fasteners (OK cheapskates, just go get about 6 at the parts store you will need them or at least I did)

9. While installing the last screw into the wheel well I had to force the plastic under it as it was outside (kids turn away now) I then decided to force it and the Edge said Pay up buddy and promptly removed the skin off of the end of my thumb without hesitation, no "I am sorry, Nothing" subsequently I had to stop and perform some first aid upon my thumb. Thankfully the skill center is fully equiped with a variety of first aid supplies and a kind old man that says "Yep happens a lot around here" Thank you old guy for the bolstering and making me feel I am not alone in the stupidity ranks.

10. Made many video's and deleted the thumb amputation.(i will keep that one private) Notice the gloves after the incident. LOL

Recommendation: The belts are easy to install in all actuallity. The tensioner does nothing, but install tension into you so be ready. I found that I was wishing for hands the size of a 10 year old girl with the strength of a full grown man when dealing with the tensioner. Video soon to come.

Feel free to laugh the old guy did.

Edited by macbwt
  • Like 1

OK folks a video of my 2008 Ford Edge replacing the serpentine belt, power steering stretchy belt and the tensioner. I also inspected front and rear brakes, the fuel tank (seperate video can be found in recalls section) and then the exhaust and oil/transmission leaks. Hope anyone deciding to DIY finds some parts of this video helpfull. I have looked and there is not a video for the ford edge specifically on this (actually very few video's on anything ford edge related) Enjoy.

Ā 

• Like 1

I did not keep a close tab on the time, but I would estimate from the time to record, then process/edit, then rendering as a new video, along with compression of the video to a smaller size then uploading. 5 hours give or take. I make training videos for OSHA safety topics that I provide for sale and online for my clients so I have the software and at work a far better video camera and lavalier mic that is great. The buzzing sound is that stupid light the hobby shop gave me. Next time I will bring my own LED light as that one makes no buzzing sound.

Ā 

I truely hope these video's help people work on their Ford Edge. I find these very helpfull in auto repair for the DIY. Please share it and give others the confidence to save a few bucks. I figure I saved 340 dollars by doing it myself.

Edited by macbwt
  • Like 1

The blackstone labs test kit arrived yesterday in the mail. This test kit is for oil analysis to help determine the health of your engine for those who do not know what it is. This test will reveal wear and even antifreeze leaks among other issues. I have about 2k miles to go until the next 5k oil change. I estimate this to occur about the 11th or 12th of February. Once collected it takes about a week to receive the results. I will then create a review of the results and post it in here on the Ford Edge forum under this same topic. Can not wait to see what the results are.

• Like 1

Just making an errand in the winter storm in Iowa today. The Ford edge getting around with no problem, well I did have an avalanch at the end of the video from all the snow on the roof but did that on purpose to get it all off. Yes I do beat on the ole car a bit but it is tough. The rattling you hear is not the car. I carry a lot of equipment in it and it all sits in the back seat and back cargo area and rattles all the time.

Ā 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adKnIOJWnIU

Ā 

Edited by macbwt

Funny you caught the color match on the jacket. The jacket was a gift from my wife and has a tan overcoat. She bought it and when I took the jacket and seperated the shell from the overcoat I discovered the liner/jacket was the same color as my edge. Total accident but a few people have mentioned the color match. Maybe I am just desitined to like that color.

• Like 1

Does anyone know of a cheap easy way to remove the crappy chrome on the side view mirrors. The chrome on my edge is peeling off like birchwood. The front grill is bubbled and peeling off around the ford emblem and other areas are bubbled up. I can only assume this is from rock chips, then water and then freezing etc. I want to remove it then paint it black with a rubber paint. Plastidip if you will.

Had a snow and slush issue with the edge today. Yesterday slush accumulated in the wheel wells. This morning I was driving down intersate 80 just a few miles and was noticing a really rough hard ride. Pulled over at the World's Largest Truck stop and found the wheel wells were completely filled with the frozen slush and the tires were all rubbing front, back and top on the frozen slush. Spent a few minutes cleaning out the wheel wells and the the Edge lost about 100lbs of ice in the process. I also had to clean ou the wheels as they were out of balance from the built up snow. I have never liked the new deeper wheels as they clog up with snow so easy and unbalance the wheels. you either have to brush it out or go to a car wash in some cases and power wash the ice and snow out of the wheels.

• Like 1

I filled up today and hit 22mpg. Yesterday with wind I was running 19 mpg. I under estimated my driving for this week by over 300 miles. Go figure. I will reach my 5k oil change by Tuesday. I however will be unable to change it till Thursday so I will get the oil sample taken and sent in on Thursday. Then we can all see how the engine is doing or if I need to get the shovel and start digging a hole....makes you wonder what will the verdict be? Is it spinning bearings or ready for race day........ Hummm.

• Like 1