sct tunner is it worth it, dose it make the car a lil quicker

jmoney23

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

I have the same question.

I asked a couple other tunner systems if they had anything for the edge.. they pretty much gave me the lip.

I then ran into the SCT somehow. however like yall.. is it worth it?

purchase unit and then still have to purchase a tune. How much is the tune?

I am looking at MPG... this thing drinks gas! and I have the lincoln, which you think would be a tad better.

My sister in law has a Hundia and it gets insane MPG all around.

I get about 21mpg higway and 18city (not big city driving).

I have the same question.

I asked a couple other tunner systems if they had anything for the edge.. they pretty much gave me the lip.

I then ran into the SCT somehow. however like yall.. is it worth it?

purchase unit and then still have to purchase a tune. How much is the tune?

I am looking at MPG... this thing drinks gas! and I have the lincoln, which you think would be a tad better.

My sister in law has a Hundia and it gets insane MPG all around.

I get about 21mpg higway and 18city (not big city driving).

you think 21mpg is drinking gas? I consider that pretty decent MPG

In Ford Edge Worldwide we have about 6-7 guys who are tuned with the 3.7 and 3.5. Totally worth it.

I have a 2010 and an SCT 91-octane tune installed. The standard tunes SCT provides are for 87, 91 and 93 octane. You will notice a responsiveness increase with the 87 tune and may think its quicker, but I'm not so sure. Now the 91 tune most definitely provides a torque and hp increase that you can clearly feel. If 93 octane was available in CA I'd tune for that - but it isn't. Gas mileage with the 87 tune is the same. The 91-octane tune will get about a 0.5 mpg increase. Btw, the 2010's are rated for better mgp than the 2007-2009 and I must say your 21 highway mpg sucks. I average 22mpg with 60% highway travel. I've never been on a trip with the tune so I don't know what true mpg might be. I drive 75-80 mph. Good luck

• Like 1

Hi MikeKilo... If you're referring to me (3500cc), I have the SCT4. It came with canned tunes and I'm currently running the 91-octane canned tune. I also modded my factory air box - pulled out both snorkels, Home Depot plugs in place of intake pancake, AEM drop in dry filter. Intake sound is always present to some degree. I may mod my stock exhaust in the future. Happy Trails...

Cool! I was just curious because I was looking at the Livewire TS+ on the SCT website and I forget the exact verbiage but I thought it said something along the lines that it didn't come with any tunes for my vehicle (09 MKX) and that custom tunes were required. Now, I assume that the PCM strategies for the Edge and MKX should be the same but I'm not sure, maybe the strategies are coded differently by VIN or something. Anyway, I'll make some calls and do some more digging. The Livewire is more expensive than the X4 and I like the extra features the Livewire provides but I also at least want some canned tunes on there due to the cost of the device even though I plan to get custom tunes written eventually anyway. That way I can buy the device sooner and compare any changes in HP, 0-60, MPG, etc when I add any mods with it and run canned tunes in the meantime as I change and add new parts. Then I'd get custom tunes written for it once I have it modded the way I want and have a baseline record of where it was in stock trim to compare to.

Edited by MikeKiloXrayOhNiner

Wont have any canned tunes that are really worth it. If you buy from Torrie at unleashed tuning you will get custom tunes of choice and revisions all day long as long as you data log and send them in. Strategy code is pulled after you plug in tuner and read it. Send that to whoever is doing the tuning and then they email you back your tune

Edited by Nick Halstead
  • Like 1

The testing is done. It's the same engine and drivetrain as the Edge. The devices for the Edge have preloaded tunes.

There is no way to know for sure if the same tune works on the MKX unless they do actual testing. There can always be differences in the PCM calibration.

I'd say there is a 99.5% chance the Edge tunes would work just fine, but they're not going to give you tunes for a MKX unless they've actually tested them on a MKX.

It's simply a question of whether SCT will support it or not. If they put the tunes in without testing them and something happens they're liable.

No different than buying a piece of software that the vendor has certified on Intel processors but not AMD. It should run just fine but if they haven't tested it they're not going to certifiy it because there is a very small chance that something is different.

Maybe SCT will let you be the guinea pig.