Online Ford ESP Concerns

I purchased a used 2012 SEL last week. Part of my plan was to purchase an extended warranty for the vehicle. I did some research online and found floodfordesp.com to be the best price for my vehicle. I was looking at the 7 year 100,000 warranty for $1215.

I didn't expect the dealership to be able to match that price going into it. Not only could she not match it but she was insistent that the warranty could not possibly be a true Ford ESP. The dealer price was $2340 I believe, it was the same price as the Ford Owner website.

Has anyone purchased from Flood Ford and actually used the warranty? We're their any issues? I have looked all over at several different forums and have seen several people purchasing them but nothing on use. She scared me a bit and I don't really want to throw $1200 out the window, but I don't want to pay twice what I need to either.

Edited by pjsockett

She did her job! She put doubt in your mind about a genuine Ford product which is sold by numerous other online dealers also at a lower price than what she is trying to sell hers for.

I purchased my ESP on line, received a copy of it in an email, and also received the hard copy of it. I haven't had to use it yet, but I am sure it is also in the Ford system whenever I do have to take it in for service. I went with one of the big four that you usually hear about (Anderson and Koch). Since they were out of state I didn't even have to pay sales tax on it! I would not have hesitated to have gone with Flood Ford or others online.

There are numerous posts on this forum or any of the other Ford forums about online ESP policies. You will usually see three or four names as being the lowest price. They even have phone numbers to call them if you feel that unsure about the policies.

The dealer price is not $2340 or even close to it. I believe it's a genuine Ford ESP.

The individual dealerships can set their own price for the warranty, so if she said that was the dealer's price, that is what is was. I also did some checking on the Ford Owner's Site, and a price does come up as $2440.00! That's not even with enhanced rental or a $0 deductible from what I can figure out.

Now what it costs the dealership or Ford is a completly different matter.. No way is it anywhere near $2340.00

Dealer PRICE versus Dealer COST are two different things.

Edited by ls973800
  • Like 1

The individual dealerships can set their own price for the warranty, so if she said that was the dealer's price, that is what is was. Now what it costs the dealership is another matter. No way is it anywhere near $2340.00

The implication was the dealer's cost was $2340 so there is no way the other dealer could be selling it for half that. Which we all know is BS.

the original post stated The dealer price was $2340 I believe, it was the same price as the Ford Owner website.

Don't know where you came up with cost being told. She was comparing her price to the price quoted by the other source and for that reason stated it wasn't a true Ford ESP from what I read. If she quoted a price more in line such as $1600.00, then she would have a hard time saying it wasn't a true Ford ESP.

I purchased online also from Anderson and Koch. I had to have my MFT fixed due to black screen, when I went to the dealer I informed them I purchased the ESP online. The service advisor looked it up and showed me the screen where it showed that it was a true Ford ESP. The ESP covered my rental for that repair.

Thanks for the info guys. I have looked all over and can't find anything negative about any of the 4 major online sellers. The only negatives that I can find are on the ESP itself, and you're always going to have people complaining about something like that. I would rather have something backed by Ford than from a private company that could go under and leave you with nothing. The dealer put a bit of unnecessary doubt in my mind. I know they have their own markup but twice the price seems like a pretty steep markup on something like that.

There is nothing wrong with the Ford ESP. It's the only one to consider and it doesn't matter where you purchase it.

The negative is that just like any other insurance product (and yes, it is insurance) the odds are in the seller's favor over the long run. Otherwise they wouldn't make money and would stop selling them.

If you can afford to pay for your own repairs out of pocket then you'll save money in the long run by insuring yourself.

If you can't afford a large repair bill from time to time then buy it with the car and finance it so you only have a small monthly payment not a large single repair bill. Of course that only applies to the length of the ESP - at some point it's no longer under any type of warranty and you have to pay out of pocket.

There is nothing wrong with the Ford ESP. It's the only one to consider and it doesn't matter where you purchase it.

I agree, I wouldn't consider anything else. I was only stating that the only negative feedback that I could find were regarding the ESP and not an online dealer that it may have been purchased from.

• 1 month later...

I purchased an ESP from Flood Ford for my 2012 Edge SEL ( 21,644 miles) on 2/28/14. 7 yr/75,000 with $0 deductible. $1,420. It is a genuine Ford ESP product. As long as that's the case, look for the best price you can get from whatever Ford dealer. I just used it for warranty work on my transmission shifter assembly; completely replaced. This was an ongoing problem starting in January that was causing the battery to go dead altogether 5 times before they got a correct diagnosis and fix. On the last visit the dealership had the car for 2 days. Rental was covered. Warranty work was completely covered; no deductible charge. Flood as you know is in RI. I'm in AZ. All the info is at the dealer's finger tips on the computer under your VIN #. On a third party warranty, I've never heard any really good stories!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I just bought a used 2011 Ford Edge a couple of weeks ago. I was looking into an ESP but found them to be too expensive to justify. I called Ford directly and for a 4 year/100,000 premium ESP, they quoted something like $2,440. After reading this thread, I looked into Flood Ford and Anderson and Koch. They offer the same exact plan but for $980! That, I can justify. However, they wouldn't sign me up because even though I am only 2 1/2 years into the warranty, my mileage is at 37,000. Ford told me that they would offer me the new car pricing and allow me to sign up since I just came off warranty but Flood Ford and Anderson and Koch said they would not. That's really too bad, because for $980 ($100 deductible), that's a no-brainer for me. I guess I'm on my own.

Edited by Nicknack

I don't know about saving me $1,000 as I know there will be a couple of trips to the dealer that I already know need to be looked at which is part of the reason getting an extended plan spoke to me. I understand your position, and agree with it in most cases, that over time you will come out ahead without an ESP on your vehicles. I have never bought one and in the four cars that I have owned, an ESP would have only helped with my Jeep Cherokee (probably would have saved $500 or so). Therefore, I have probably come out ahead by a couple grand without having one. Then, there is my current vehicle which so far has me concerned.

The used Edge I just bought has had several issues come up since I bought it which is why it has me concerned. The first week, it drove great. However, now in just the second week, it has a transmisssion issue (should be covered under the 5yr/60k warranty), fluid dripping from underneath the vehicle, and sound coming from the rear (like a low roar which intensifies as I accelerate). I already had a FMT (navigation) issue but fortunately they fixed that for free last week because of the FMT extended warranty.

Edited by Nicknack