Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Ford Edge ST Forum Here

Photo
- - - - -

extended warranty need help!

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 ONLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 10,627 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 08:29 AM

I went to my dealer here in SC (Fort Mill Ford, SC) yesterday to find out what they would charge for the Ford ESP PremiumCARE for 6 years 75k miles extended warranty. They came back with a price of around $2200. I showed them the $1310 price on-line that Anderson & Koch wanted. The person went away and then came back and said that they would match the $1310 price. So I purchased it there.

This irritates me to no end. Why would you give them your money after they just tried to overcharge you so much? If they’re willing to sell it for $1310 after you showed them the price from the other guys they should have been willing to sell it for that before.

Basically, they’re saying ok you caught us, here’s the real price. I understand it was easier to just let them include it with the truck and financing but I hate companies that do business like that. I could see if it was a couple hundred difference but not $900.
  • WWWPerfA_ZN0W and onyxbfly like this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   FordGuy1

FordGuy1

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 54 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Edge's Year:2017

Posted 01 May 2018 - 02:17 PM

This irritates me to no end. Why would you give them your money after they just tried to overcharge you so much? If they’re willing to sell it for $1310 after you showed them the price from the other guys they should have been willing to sell it for that before.

Basically, they’re saying ok you caught us, here’s the real price. I understand it was easier to just let them include it with the truck and financing but I hate companies that do business like that. I could see if it was a couple hundred difference but not $900.

I don't like it but by getting it there I know that I walked out with the paper work and didn't have to wonder if the Anderson & Koch would send it. 

When you go to buy your vehicle do you not buy it if the dealer says he will reduce the price of a say $40k vehicle by $6k? It's the same thing with almost anything you buy, you have to talk the seller down in price even though you know they should just give you their best price.  

#23 ONLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 10,627 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 02:41 PM

I worked my way through high school and college at small privately owned furniture stores. We offered much lower prices competing against the large chain stores. Some people would get our best price the go back and get the chain store to match it. I don’t think that’s fair at all. It allows the other stores to rip off the people who don’t cross shop and only provide discounts when they get caught.

Because of that I don’t normally shop that way. I ask each vendor to give me their best price and I pick one. I reward the one with the lowest or best pricing. If you don’t buy from the ones with the lowest price they’ll go out of business and you’re stuck with the highest price vendors. I do make exceptions but generally I won’t support a vendor who overcharges like that. Even if it’s a little extra work on my part.
  • WWWPerfA_ZN0W, omar302 and PaulSchott like this

#24 OFFLINE   FordGuy1

FordGuy1

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:37 AM

Akirby   I believe you should not be a "Moderator" since you seem to be provoking a word fight with me. Enigma-2 on post #9 said the same thing about getting a dealer to reduce their price by showing them another's price and you said nothing. A moderator should make sure that people don't post obscene or none related posts on these sites. They should also help people when they can. They should not be jumping on people because of the moderator's own personal opinions.

I stated that I didn't like it either but that I got the warranty paper work right there and didn't have to worry whether Anderson & Koch would send it to me. since you told me your story which shouldn't be brought up on this site I'll tell part of mine. I look up a lot of things on the internet for pricing but if possible go to the actual stores to purchase them. I like to actually see and touch the items I want to buy. I also believe that it helps keep people employed at the stores. 

None of your ranting and opinions belongs in this forum especially since you are listed as a moderator, this post of mine should not be here either since it doesn't really help anyone out with their warranty questions. My original post just pointed out that I got a matching price at my dealer and if other people were hesitant to order on-line that it might work for them to get a better price at their dealer.     

#25 OFFLINE   TheWizard

TheWizard

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Member
  • 797 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:55 AM

Sorry... you're wrong.  Being a moderator (I am a moderator on a couple of other forums) doesn't mean you can't express an opinion.  Moderators are people who are active in the community and agree to take on the added responsibility of monitoring the forums (for free).  Besides, nothing he said was a dig at you, just comments on how he treats similar situations.  Your are free to do the same thing or do your own thing.  Perhaps starting with getting a thicker skin.

I applaud akirby for the even handed way he has handled the situations that have needed it and he is a knowledgeable member of this community.  We don't always agree but that's part of the purpose of a forum.  If everyone agreed on everything it would get awfully boring in here.

Edited by TheWizard, 02 May 2018 - 06:57 AM.

• PaulSchott and onyxbfly like this

#26 ONLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 10,627 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:56 AM

What he said. ^^^^^.

It wasn’t a dig at you so much as frustration with companies who operate like that. I understand that it’s easier and I don’t blame you - I was just pointing out the problem with those business practices and explaining why I don’t like to do business that way. In the end it’s your money and your time so it’s up to you. But I hope everyone will consider what I said the next time that happens.

As for being a moderator, I’m only a moderator when someone posts spam or there are personal attacks. The rest of the time I’m just a member like you.

Moderators are people, too. :)
  • PaulSchott and onyxbfly like this

#27 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 2,971 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Edge's Year:2009

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:58 AM

This irritates me to no end. Why would you give them your money after they just tried to overcharge you so much? If theyre willing to sell it for $1310 after you showed them the price from the other guys they should have been willing to sell it for that before.

What the market will bear. My company has several different hourly rates. We will match our competitors (if we have to), else the rate is the rate. Simple business.

#28 ONLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 10,627 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:57 PM

What the market will bear. My company has several different hourly rates. We will match our competitors (if we have to), else the rate is the rate. Simple business.

But what is the difference between your highest and lowest rate?  Is your highest rate 50% higher than your lowest rate?  If I told you I was shopping around and you had one chance which rate would you quote me?

#29 ONLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 10,627 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 01:00 PM

BTW I wasn't saying that the company was wrong, just that I wouldn't do business with a company that tries to charge me $2400 for something I can get elsewhere for $1300.  And I have no problem with them charging $2400 for those who want to pay it.

I just don't like saying the price is $2400 if you're not smart enough to shop around, but if you are that smart and you do shop around we'll only charge you $1300.

#30 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:52 PM

But what is the difference between your highest and lowest rate?  Is your highest rate 50% higher than your lowest rate?  If I told you I was shopping around and you had one chance which rate would you quote me?

Actually it's over 100%. If you came to me and asked for a quote, I would find out which of my competitors you're with, and beat that price. If your new, I would find our who else you talked to and set a profit potential.
Warranties are based on history and sales margins.

#31 ONLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 10,627 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:05 PM

That’s certainly your right to do business that way, but if I found out you were charging some people double for the same exact job based on whether they got other quotes or not I would definitely not do business with you.

#32 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:05 PM

Thats certainly your right to do business that way, but if I found out you were charging some people double for the same exact job based on whether they got other quotes or not I would definitely not do business with you.

We don't sell a product. We sell a service. If you think it's not common, your fooling yourself.

#33 ONLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 10,627 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 10:31 PM

I don’t see the difference and I know it’s common. That doesn’t change how I feel about the practice.

I apologize for bringing this up in the first place - I t’s just a huge pet peeve of mine. But it’s totally off topic so let’s just drop it.

#34 OFFLINE   FordGuy1

FordGuy1

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:35 AM

Sorry... you're wrong.  Being a moderator (I am a moderator on a couple of other forums) doesn't mean you can't express an opinion.  Moderators are people who are active in the community and agree to take on the added responsibility of monitoring the forums (for free).  Besides, nothing he said was a dig at you, just comments on how he treats similar situations.  Your are free to do the same thing or do your own thing.  Perhaps starting with getting a thicker skin.

I applaud akirby for the even handed way he has handled the situations that have needed it and he is a knowledgeable member of this community.  We don't always agree but that's part of the purpose of a forum.  If everyone agreed on everything it would get awfully boring in here.

When enigma-2 said the same thing in post #9 and akirby said nothing (which was correct) and then when I post he seems to jump all over me, then I believe that it is a dig on me. If it bothers him so much that business charge a higher price then reduce it to match he should have said something when enigma-2 posted. but actually he should have said nothing at all to either of us. We were just posting to let people know what happen to us on this topic. 

TheWizard - about thicker skin, if someone single's you out verse another person I bet you would have said something back.

It would be great if all company only charged a fair price for their product but that's not the world we live in.

I'm done with this topic since I have my warranty and stated what occurred in getting it.

#35 ONLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 10,627 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:36 AM

Post #9 didn’t say anything about being offered the warranty at a higher price - he just asked them to match the other prices. Maybe their regular prices were already close to the online prices.

Either way I apologize for bringing it up. Like I said it’s just a personal pet peeve having been on the losing side of that equation in the past. Perhaps not coincidentally both of those businesses went out of business within a few years.

#36 OFFLINE   TheWizard

TheWizard

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Member
  • 797 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:35 AM

Actually it's over 100%. If you came to me and asked for a quote, I would find out which of my competitors you're with, and beat that price. If your new, I would find our who else you talked to and set a profit potential.
Warranties are based on history and sales margins.

I'm curious... you wouldn't be talking about insurance would you?  I find it very annoying that I can save money every year if I switch insurance companies because they always offer a better price to customers who switch than to loyal customers who renew.  I wouldn't even mind if the renewal was a reasonable increase but they seem to want to catch up the profits they lost in enticing me to switch.  I guess they see many customers just don't bother shopping around every time so they can get away with large premium increases that have nothing to do with driving record or any factors other than profit.

I haven't tried it but would it be worth shopping around then asking my current insurer to quote based on competitor rates (rather than just switching to one of the competitors)?

#37 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:19 PM

Engineering services.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users