Dealer plugged my tire!!!

I just bought a 2013 edge with 18k miles on it. Went to test ride the car at the dealership before buying it the "Tire Low Pressure" check was on... the salesman said they just filled the tires and it takes a little while for the TPMS to "sense" the new pressure. I agreed to buy the edge, but I wanted the tires checked... I put $ down to hold the car. They agreed. I came back 2 days later to buy the edge and took it for another test ride and right away the TPMS check was on... I got out of the car and asked them if they check the tire like I requested. The saleman told me they did... I asked them to check the tires again while I wait. 15 minutes later the car was back from service and "fixed". I looked at the tires and noticed a HUGE ROPE PLUG in the side of the left rear tire (plugs are illegal in my state)... like fireworks, you can buy them but can't use them. I informed them that rope plugs are illegal and I would only buy the edge if they replaced the tire. They agreed.

I came back 2 days later when they told me the edge was ready to go. They had rotated the tires... and the right front tire HAD A HUGE PLUG!!! I threw a pissed off hissy fit in the middle of the sales floor for all to hear. the Salesman conceded to get me a new tire and I could return the next day to buy the edge. I did... I checked the tires and they looked good, the TPMS was off and all was good... so I bought the edge. (very happy with it btw!!) but the next day the TPMS check came on. I checked the tires and the left rear was at 19psi!! I filled it, and 2 days later it was back down to 18psi. I took it to a tire center (right next door to my work... and personal friends) and they found that the dealer had TURNED THE TIRE AROUND!!!! So the plug was out of view. I called the dealer and they claimed the tire was new and I must have damaged the tire and refused to fix it. I had my buddy (owner of the tire center) call the dealer and inform them that plugs were illegal in our state and he had photos of the tire and was going to report them to the DMV... the dealership paid the tire center FULL RETAIL to buy me a new tire and install it. I am dumbfounded that they broke the law, and cost themselves more money than needed just because they thought they could fool me. The next morning I showed up at the dealership and was sitting in the salemans office when he showed up to work.... he turned pale white when he saw me... I made a point to yell as loud as I could in his office. I walked out with a free cargo mat, keychain, ford t-shirt, ford polo shirt, ford jacket and window delfectors...

I love my new edge btw!

• Like 1

The plug was in the sidewall? That's no good, you dramatically increase your chances of a blowout, regardless of legality.

At the very least, I would not go back to that dealership for future service. Who knows what else they will do, and really how much time do you want to waste?

If you like, you can report your experience to Ford Customer Service, so this dealership does not pull these stunts anymore.

• Like 1

The plug was in the sidewall? That's no good, you dramatically increase your chances of a blowout, regardless of legality.

At the very least, I would not go back to that dealership for future service. Who knows what else they will do, and really how much time do you want to waste?

If you like, you can report your experience to Ford Customer Service, so this dealership does not pull these stunts anymore.

I addition to reporting this to Ford, I would report them to any state agency that regulates new and/or used car dealers. As stated, they put the life of you and your passengers at risk. There is NO excuse for that kind of behavior.

• Like 1

I just bought a 2013 edge with 18k miles on it. Went to test ride the car at the dealership before buying it the "Tire Low Pressure" check was on... the salesman said they just filled the tires and it takes a little while for the TPMS to "sense" the new pressure. I agreed to buy the edge, but I wanted the tires checked... I put $ down to hold the car. They agreed. I came back 2 days later to buy the edge and took it for another test ride and right away the TPMS check was on... I got out of the car and asked them if they check the tire like I requested. The saleman told me they did... I asked them to check the tires again while I wait. 15 minutes later the car was back from service and "fixed". I looked at the tires and noticed a HUGE ROPE PLUG in the side of the left rear tire (plugs are illegal in my state)... like fireworks, you can buy them but can't use them. I informed them that rope plugs are illegal and I would only buy the edge if they replaced the tire. They agreed.

Hey eNo,

Welcome to the forum! This certainly is not the experience I want for you to have. Please send me a private message with your full name, best daytime phone number, the VIN, and the name of the dealership; I'll get this documented for internal review.

Todd

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just like hamburgers, some dealers aren't worth a second visit. Sad to hear of your bad experience.

Salespeople are generally paid a commission on the PROFIT of a car deal and thus are reluctant to fix, repair, replace anything once the numbers are on the paper.

For anyone who has this type of issue in the future, after the salesman gets your best chewing, go find the store manager or owner and go off on him. (Just make sure you are justified)