Changing factory HID bulbs?

I have the factory HID Headlight option in my new 2014 Edge. Reading my owners manual over it tells me that when the bulb burns out I need to take it in to the dealer for replacement. Huh???

I'll admit HID is new to me, but there is no way I'm booking my car in to the dealers service department to change a headlight bulb. It can't be that difficult is it? Or are they just trying to get more money out of us?

This is what it says for the D3S bulbs in the OM:

Replacing HID headlamp bulbs (if equipped)
The low beam headlamps on your vehicle use a “high intensity discharge”
source. These lamps operate at a high voltage. When the bulb is burned
out, the bulb and starter capsule assembly must be replaced by your
authorized dealer.

I would assume you could install aftermarket 9006 or 9005 kits in place of the OEMs when it comes time. Search for "D3S HID" related topics on the forum. Only D3S bulbs fit properly in the OEM HID headlights, it seems. A projector swapout would be required to use other bulbs in there, if you can't find D3S replacements.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/8655-oem-hid-part-information/

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

I just replaced my HID OEM bulbs(4300k and replaced with 5000k) this week. It took a good 45 minutes to get the first one changed and then took all of 2 minutes for the second one. Most people say remove the bumper then light to get at the bulb better but this is what I did:

1) remove the back of the headlight to get to the bulb ( its a black circle about 5 inches in diameter, you can turn it either clock-wise or counter clock-wise

2) Use a pair of needle nose pliers and wiggle the wiring( the wiring just below the bulb and attaches the bulb to the ballast ) back and forth while applying pressure downwards. This should come apart rather quickly if enough pressure is applied

3) Now remove the bulb which is currently in the housing - I can't remember which direction for this but it was easy enough to figure out

4) place the new bulb in and twist it accordingly

5) place the wiring back on the bulb, using the needle nose pliers and upwards pressure - mine went back on pretty easily

6) twist the back cover on

It takes a bit of patience but once you figure out the first one the next one is extremely simple. Wish I had taken pictures!

Good luck.

• Like 3

I just replaced my HID OEM bulbs(4300k and replaced with 5000k) this week. It took a good 45 minutes to get the first one changed and then took all of 2 minutes for the second one. Most people say remove the bumper then light to get at the bulb better but this is what I did:

1) remove the back of the headlight to get to the bulb ( its a black circle about 5 inches in diameter, you can turn it either clock-wise or counter clock-wise

2) Use a pair of needle nose pliers and wiggle the wiring( the wiring just below the bulb and attaches the bulb to the ballast ) back and forth while applying pressure downwards. This should come apart rather quickly if enough pressure is applied

3) Now remove the bulb which is currently in the housing - I can't remember which direction for this but it was easy enough to figure out

5) place the wiring back on the bulb, using the needle nose pliers and upwards pressure - mine went back on pretty easily

It takes a bit of patience but once you figure out the first one the next one is extremely simple. Wish I had taken pictures!

Good luck.

Excellent post, thank you for taking the time.

As my Edge is new, I'm hoping I don't have to change them for a while. However it's good to know that I can do it myself, and what to do so I am prepared.

Edited by Uncoiler

splork, on 20 Apr 2014 - 5:18 PM, said:

Good luck.

Where & for how much did you get them? Also, how is the road illumination? any difference, worse/better?

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I bought my Ford Edge Sport 2014 like a month ago, I was totally disappointed about the headlights, low beam very week and the high beam pointed to the sky. After I read a lot of posts on the Ford forum, I adjusted the vertical for the headlights and now I have a good spot of the beams. I wanted also to change the factory D3S HID with a 35W D3S 5000K , but seams that the replace operation is not a simple one. I used a mirror to see where this D3S bulbs are located. What I swat it look different from the bulbs I bought.

Is anyone that could help please, with info or photos, how this operation could be done? are the D3S in the Edge Sport 2014 different then usual D3S?

I apologize for my English

Hello,

I bought my Ford Edge Sport 2014 like a month ago, I was totally disappointed about the headlights, low beam very week and the high beam pointed to the sky. After I read a lot of posts on the Ford forum, I adjusted the vertical for the headlights and now I have a good spot of the beams. I wanted also to change the factory D3S HID with a 35W D3S 5000K , but seams that the replace operation is not a simple one. I used a mirror to see where this D3S bulbs are located. What I swat it look different from the bulbs I bought.

Is anyone that could help please, with info or photos, how this operation could be done? are the D3S in the Edge Sport 2014 different then usual D3S?

I apologize for my English

The Edge Sport does NOT have HID lights. Your bulbs are halogen HIR2.

Edited by omar302

• 3 weeks later...