Tiny rust dots on exterior pant ( Ford Edge 2011 Limited )

Picked up my car last year and noticed a few very tiny rust looking spots on the white tri coat paint job. Just washed my car and noticing a ton more.

Has anyone seen this before? Seems like a pretty big issue to me if they are indeed rust? How do I get rid of these, lightly buffing?

I am attaching a couple of photos but you have to look closely.

Thanks,

post-29868-0-56966900-1398466941_thumb.jpg

post-29868-0-71291400-1398466954_thumb.jpg

I had a ton of these crop up on my Ingot Silver paint over the winter. They were not there last fall as I was very good about keeping it clean. I attribute them to general road junk being picked up and kicked up with the snow. I was going to pick up a bottle of bug and tar remover and let it soak on the panels, before the first hand wash. Even with a pressure washer with foam gun attachment, I'm worried about scratching the paint as the rust is indicative of small iron/metal particles.

Can't be rail dust in my case as I live close enough to Oakville for mine to have arrived by truck.

If you are a fanatic about getting metal contaminants out of your paint/wheels, you can precede the claybar with Iron-X or a similar product.

I'd never heard of a product made specifically for getting these spots off until now. I will be ordering this product from my favourite detailing product shop!

Kudos to you WWW!

I had a ton of these crop up on my Ingot Silver paint over the winter. They were not there last fall as I was very good about keeping it clean. I attribute them to general road junk being picked up and kicked up with the snow. I was going to pick up a bottle of bug and tar remover and let it soak on the panels, before the first hand wash. Even with a pressure washer with foam gun attachment, I'm worried about scratching the paint as the rust is indicative of small iron/metal particles.

Can't be rail dust in my case as I live close enough to Oakville for mine to have arrived by truck.

It does not come just from train rails as per the link at the end of this copy and paste sentence from that link.

Now days the specs are mostly caused by the filings from snow plow blades in snow country and by brake filings etc on the roads.

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/93-wax-wax-off/258340-what-rail-dust.html

• Like 1

Now days the specs are mostly caused by the filings from snow plow blades in snow country and by brake filings etc on the roads.

As municipal engineer specializing in drainage and stormwater management, I have the pleasure of knowing exactly what urban stormwater/snow contains - and it isn't pretty. I consider the water in my car wash buckets to be toxic and suggest everyone else does the same!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...