2008 Ford Edge drivers side front CV axle pinging sound

macbwt

238,000 miles and now I am getting a metalic ping soud out of the drivers side front axle area. Sound comes when placing in gear and under acceleratoin and deceleration if I play with the gas peddle. No real clicking sound when turning. I am thinking it is the cv joint closest to the transmission. Anyone else care to guess?

The closest I have heard of this is in this TSB 13-5-14 for the Taurus/MKS etc:

WHEELS:CAP/COVER/HUB
    • Date Reported MAY 13 2013
    • NHTSA Reference #10052787
    • TSB Reference #TSB-13-5-14

Description: FORD/LINCOLN: ON SOME VEHICLES, WHEN ACCELERATING FROM STOP OR SHIFTING BETWEEN DRIVE/REVERSE AND/OR REVERSE/DRIVE, A NOISE IS HEARD LIKE POP, TING, CLICK, COMING FROM FRONT WHEEL AREA. MODELS 2011-2013 TAURUS, EXPLORER, FLEX, MKS, MKT.

Repair Information for NHTSA #10052787

The solution: Install one (1) thrust washer, metal surface first, over the halfshaft splines until the metal ring is flat against the wheel bearing mating surface. The nylon surface should face outward toward the hub/splines. (Figures 1 and 2)

tsb 13-05-14 TING-POP-CLICK NOISE - FRONT HALFSHAFT.pdf

Problem solved. Not the axle, but the new wheel bearing had slightly worked loose after installation and was retorqued. Ping is gone. Good news is the CV shafts were given a good bill of health. Ready to hit the 300k mark.

• Like 1