Bad O2 sensor at 18K miles

Atlantan

Took the car to the dealer to have the check engine light diagnosed. Turns out O2 sensor needs to be replaced. They ordered the part should be done by Friday, will post an update.

O2 sensors are supposed to last a very long time. Anyone seen this issue this early?

Someone from the Ford team please respond with cause of failure this early.

Thanks

Edited by Atlantan

I have a 2007 Edge SEL. I just had my TSS & OSS sensors replaced because per dealership they "failed". This is following my "wrench" warning signal, "ODO DATA ERROR", my car barely accelerating once I stopped at a red light, the airbag warning signal, and the sound of my transmission falling to the ground when switching gears. Seems to be to common of an issue.

Atlantan - At only 18,000 miles I'd want to know if it was just a bad sensor or if it was fouled. If it was fouled, my questions would be why(?), and what are they doing to rectify that problem. If it was fouled and they just replace it, it will happen again at about the time that you're out of warranty. I've got 51,000 miles on my Edge Ecoboost without any O2 sensor problems and I don't recall anyone else mentioning it as a problem in this forum. I also don't know if the Edge Ecoboost has one sensor or two. That's another question I'd be asking because if it has two I'd want the dealership to tell me about the condition of the other. Please keep us posted on your results as I'd like to know if that's something I need to start watching for.

@Gimp...

Using my scanner I just pulled the 4 codes below...

1 of 4: P0132 - O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage(Bank 1 Sensor 1)

2 of 4: P0135 O2 Sensor Heat Circuit Malfunction(Bank 1 Sensor 1)

3 of 4: P2243 O2 Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1 Reference Voltage Circuit/Open

4 of 4: P2243 O2 Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1 Reference Voltage Circuit/Open

Based on these I presume it is just a bad sensor vs. fouled. This Friday afternoon, car is going to the dealer for O2 sensor replacement, will post the updates/results. Good thing I purchased 7yr/100K warranty.

Cheers

Edited by Atlantan

• 2 months later...

I have a 2014 Edge. Took it in 4 weeks ago because check engine light came on. Took them two days to let me know that the oxygen sensor was bad and they would have to order the part. They said I could drive it until they called about the part. I was told the part was in and took it in. They kept it to fix while on vacation. Had the vehicle for 10 days. When went to get it was told the part had not come in. I am still driving it with the check engine light on. It makes me nervous doing that because if something else were to go wrong that would normally make the light come on, how would I know? I have noticed that gas mileage seems really bad. Should I be driving it like this? Am I doing damage to my vehicle? I am not happy that they don't seem to be able to get the part. We are leaving again and will be driving on a trip which will include mountain driving. Again I am not comfortable taking it on a long trip. Advice please.

Atlantan, any updates?

DB1331: Given enough time, the catalytic converters can be damaged by running rich (you noticed the lower mpg). Since the dealer hasn't quantified how bad this problem is, I'd insist on an ASAP replacement. Cats are covered under extended warranty (emissions), so not an issue cost-wise. I don't want to suggest looking up the part(s) yourself (DY1182 front, DY1163 rear) & getting it replaced (should all be under warranty), but maybe pursuing with a different dealer, or getting stock from a different/local dealer. For all you know, you could have a leaky injector (fairly rare), but let's roll with the diagnosis for now. Try talking to the service manager (even the GM) directly. If that fails, talk to Ford National Customer Service (we have a rep on here (Tricia)).

This dealer in Houston may work for you (parts anyway):

Tommie Vaughn Motors, Inc.

1145 North Shepherd
Houston, TX 77008