Fuel Economy Help!

dilanp

Hi,

I've had my Ford Edge Sel V6 3.5L for just over 6 months now. I'm currently sitting at 8200km after doing the first oil change. I've noticed that the fuel economy hasn't dropped below 14.0L/100KM at any given point, which is odd because FORD has an estimated 11.5L/100KM.

I took the vehicle to FORD to do a diagnosis and they said nothing is wrong, but clearly if your estimates are off by almost 3L/100KM then i'm sure there has be a slight issue.

Can someone please help and let me know if there having any similar issues?

Thanks!

There may be something wrong but I don't think you understand how mpg works. You can take the exact same vehicle and let 2 people drive it on 2 different routes at different times and get a huge difference in mpg. I don't do metric but you could see a range from 15 mpg to 30 mpg just depending on the route and driver and speed. There is no such thing as a single expected mpg.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We also get about 13.8-14.3L/100km in city traffic. The 2014 Edge SEL AWD states city 11.8 on the window sticker or 24mpg (CDN) That is also marked on the 3.5L FWD window stickers, so I am making an assumption that the AWD system does drink slightly more fuel. We have gotten 8.8 on the hwy avg 115km/hr which is close to the 7.8L/100(36mpg). Mind you we were going 115 at 100km/hr I am sure the fuel economy would improve. We have just passed 3000 km so the engine is still very new. I suspect the stop and go traffic my wife drives in has alot to do with the fuel economy. I have a 2008 Bullitt modified with Ford HR CAMS long tube headers and a tune and I get 14.5L/100km in the city. Seems weird that I get better fuel economy with 380 hp on a 3600lb Mustang. I am hoping for improvement but it is what it is I guess.

Glad to see some canadians fuel consumption figures here. lol

Forget the window sticker as far as fuel economy figures go. They are useful to compare between vehicles, but there are no guarantee that they will represent real life consumption. These values are made using tests that does not necessarily represent driving reality.

Whats even worse is the fact that canadian figures almost always show better consumption rating than american numbers. They updated the test in the states a few year ago to try an make them more realistic, but Canada did not update their test yet, so it is even less representative.

I get about 15L/100km city, and between 9- 10.5 L/100km highway. I do a lot of highway so that brings my average down.

Bottom line is, your Edge is fine.

• Like 1

I figured it was and comparing it to our 2004 Explorer XLT 4.0L we traded in for the Edge we are sipping gas. The Explorer was always maintained and stop and go traffic with my wife driving(light on the skinny pedal we got 17.5-20L/100km I am happy. We needed the AWD so ecoboost wasn't even in the option list for us. Oh ya GO HABS, I am a transplanted Montrealer actually Chomedey

The Edge is a pretty thirsty vehicle, but it should be expected when compared with the other SUVs on the market. It is built on a fairly old frame (2005-2006) and is pretty heavy. You compared it to your mustang, but the edge is actually 4000+ lbs.

I am in the same boat, because of winter and frequent ski trip, there is no way I would have gotten one that wasn't AWD, so the ecoboost was not an option. Plus I don't really buy into the "turbo everything" hype. GO Habs, haha, I am from Rimouski, about 6 hours east of Montreal.