Rear brakes not releasing completely

On my 2013 Edge with 17,000 miles the rear brakes have occasionally not released completely resulting in smoke coming from brakes. Dealer said I need new brake pads. Claims they should have been replaced at 15k. I checked them and they show very little wear. They were rusted in place and the caliper is not retracting fully. Any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to the community, sorry you are having problems with your '13 Edge! At the very least, the calipers need to cleaned and slide pins greased, at the most, they should be replaced.

Either way, the dealer should fix under warranty. 15K is terrible life for a brake pad, esp. OEM, if this is not exclusively a dragstrip-driven vehicle, that is.

As akirby said, find a new dealer. If you still have no luck, there is a Ford Customer Service Rep on here to help you escalate & resolve the issue.

On my 2013 Edge with 17,000 miles the rear brakes have occasionally not released completely resulting in smoke coming from brakes. Dealer said I need new brake pads. Claims they should have been replaced at 15k. I checked them and they show very little wear. They were rusted in place and the caliper is not retracting fully. Any thoughts?

Find a new dealer who will fix your sticking brakes under warranty.

Hello JL6173olds,

Was the dealer able to resolve your concern? If not, please PM your full name, VIN, dealer name/address, an in-depth description of the vehicle’s symptoms to relay to the customer service manager, mileage, and best contact number.

As akirby stated, you can also seek a second opinion from a different dealer if you like.

You can find the nearest dealer and set an appointment here.

Once this info is received I’ll loop in a CSM in your region to assist.

Welcome to the community, sorry you are having problems with your '13 Edge! At the very least, the calipers need to cleaned and slide pins greased, at the most, they should be replaced.

Either way, the dealer should fix under warranty. 15K is terrible life for a brake pad, esp. OEM, if this is not exclusively a dragstrip-driven vehicle, that is.

As akirby said, find a new dealer. If you still have no luck, there is a Ford Customer Service Rep on here to help you escalate & resolve the issue.

WWWPerfA_ZN0W,

Thanks for the shout out and being a team player.

I hope you all have an awesome week! :)

Tricia

• 1 month later...

I am a Ford service tech. This is an issue I have dealt with before. The most common correction is as stated above. Have your calipers and slide pins inspected. Your brake pads and rotors are only covered under a 12 month and 12k warranty but your caliper is considered part of the power train and is covered for much more. 5 yr or 60k if I remember right. I would have the dealer remove your caliper glide pins and thoroughly clean them and lubricate them with dielectric caliper grease. Also have them place small amounts of the caliper grease on the anti-rattle clips that are between your brake pads and your caliper mounting bracket. If this does not cure your issue then I recommend having them replace your calipers and deglaze your pads. The pads need deglazing because the sticking caliper has superheated your pads and rotors and caused them to glaze over. It may also be necessary to make a pass over the rotors on the brake lathe to deglaze them as well. If you do not have them deglazex then they will cause a squeak from the rear when applying the brakes.

I hope this helps and please post your results to let me know which course of action your dealer took.

• Like 1

I am a Ford service tech. This is an issue I have dealt with before. The most common correction is as stated above. Have your calipers and slide pins inspected. Your brake pads and rotors are only covered under a 12 month and 12k warranty but your caliper is considered part of the power train and is covered for much more. 5 yr or 60k if I remember right. I would have the dealer remove your caliper glide pins and thoroughly clean them and lubricate them with dielectric caliper grease. Also have them place small amounts of the caliper grease on the anti-rattle clips that are between your brake pads and your caliper mounting bracket. If this does not cure your issue then I recommend having them replace your calipers and deglaze your pads. The pads need deglazing because the sticking caliper has superheated your pads and rotors and caused them to glaze over. It may also be necessary to make a pass over the rotors on the brake lathe to deglaze them as well. If you do not have them deglazed them they will cause a squeak from the rear when applying the brakes.

I hope this helps and please post your results to let me know which course of action your dealer took.

Edited by SwampDonkey76
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Had a similar problem, dealer said that my pads were too old so they were crumbling due to age. They gave me a $99 parts and labor deal. Was very strange to me to have to change rear pads before front. Since having it done it has only done it twice slightly, but since it is going in for panaromic roof issues I'm asking them to look at it again even though last time they thought I was crazy.

• 10 months later...

I am having the same issue. I have a 2014 Edge, beginning at 12,000 my rear brakes were dragging, and that my steering wheel is shaking and my break pedal pulses. I was told they were fine three times by service the dealer. On another visit, I was told I need rear pads...not front (don't front wear first?) I took it for another opinion. The independent shop told me to take back to dealer as the rear calipers are staying engage and not releasing. Went to dealer again today, (now have 40,000miles) told them what the other shop said, also letting them know I also have the extended service plan. They said there is nothing wrong with calipers and that I need new rotors and pads.

There is an easy way to test for dragging brakes. Get a cheap IR temp gun and after driving for several minutes without using a lot of brakes, stop and check the temp of the brake rotors. They should be close to the same. If the brakes are dragging those rotors will be much much hotter.

The shaking under braking is a rotor out of true and would require turning or replacing the rotor and new pads. Probably not covered by warranty.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I am having the same issue. I have a 2014 Edge, beginning at 12,000 my rear brakes were dragging, and that my steering wheel is shaking and my break pedal pulses. I was told they were fine three times by service the dealer. On another visit, I was told I need rear pads...not front (don't front wear first?) I took it for another opinion. The independent shop told me to take back to dealer as the rear calipers are staying engage and not releasing. Went to dealer again today, (now have 40,000miles) told them what the other shop said, also letting them know I also have the extended service plan. They said there is nothing wrong with calipers and that I need new rotors and pads.

I had the same problem with a 2007 Fusion ! I do my own work, so through trial and error (several sets of rear pads), I think I found the solution,

My current process for a suspect wheel(s) is to buy a re-manufactured caliper AND BRACKET ! This will also come with new pre-lubed guide/slide pins and boots. Stick with a known quality brand (Wagner, Raybestos, AC Delco), These are reasonably priced on RockAuto.com, after you return the core.

For rotors and pad I have had excellent performance from Raybestos parts, but you have to buy the correct ones ! For rotors, stick with the Raybestos Advanced Technology ones NOT the Professional Grade. Yes, they cost more, but don't seem to warp and the last few I have bought were either made in the US or Canada !

For pads, it is Raybestos again, but only their "Enhanced Hybrid Technology" ceramic pads. One of the reasons I like them is Raybestos sells Disc Brake Pad Drag Reduction Clips that help retract the pads !

Dealers will not use aftermarket parts, even if they are better so try to find an independent shop, especially one that will allow you to bring in your own parts as that will save you several hundred dollars.

• Like 1