2015 Ford Edge Introduced - Edge Going Global

From some very quick research, the 1 generation MKX did not have power folding mirrors but the other cars in that class does have power folding mirrors. Buick Enclave has the power folding mirrors as a $50 upgrade. I know the MKX, 1 generation had rear heated seats and now rear heated seats are available on the Edge. I don't see why power mirrors won't be available at least on the MKX.

I think they will be available on the MKX as they are on the MKC, but I prefer the Edge Sport over the MKX.

I think they will be available on the MKX as they are on the MKC, but I prefer the Edge Sport over the MKX.

Blitz - I prefer the Edge Sport as well. Do you think the 2015 MKX will be release at the same time as the Edge? I wish you wouldn't brought up the power mirrors. The would be functional in my garage. Now I will have to miss them. :)

Ok, nothing new.

"...This explains the midsize, two-row crossover’s place in the Ford lineup between the compact Escape and the larger three-row Explorer. It’s an affluent empty nester’s CUV, though it will be more family oriented when it goes on sale in Europe for the first time next year. Farley, Ford’s marketing, sales and service vice president, says the average middle-class American Edge buyer is willing to spend about ten percentage points more of his or her income for an Edge than for a Fusion sedan....

The 2015 Ford Edge is 3.9 inches longer, at 188.1 inches overall versus the 2011-14 model, with a one-inch increase in wheelbase, to 112.2 inches. Width is down 0.1 inch, to 75.9 inches. It’s 1.6 inches taller, defying crossover dimension trends, at 68.6 inches, and cargo capacity is up seven cubic feet thanks to a longer load floor, though the more rakish D-pillar cuts into cargo space.

The trailing arm suspension in back has been replaced with an independent, integral link setup. New coil springs and an “advanced antiroll bar system” result in 20 percent more roll stiffness than the previous model, and greater use of high-strength steel helps increase stiffness and improve noise, vibration, and harshness. The curb weight is about the same as the old model's.

The 2015 Ford Edge Sport comes with a black grille, black 21-inch wheels, and the new, 2.7-liter EcoBoost V-6 that will premier in the aluminum 2015 Ford F-150. It’s rated “more than 300 horsepower” in the Edge Sport, with the torque of a midrange V-8. The engine uses compacted graphic iron for its cylinder block, like Ford’s 6.7-liter Power Stroke diesel. Chassis upgrades include larger-diameter monotube dampers and antiroll bars that are 15 percent stiffer than other trim levels. Coil springs are 10 percent thicker, and Ford claims “15 percent to 20 percent better roadholding ability,” though any bit of understeer or oversteer will be blunted by the Edge’s Curve Control, which slows the CUV “efficiently” through a curve (as in the Explorer, the system cannot be turned off)."

"It’s an affluent empty nester’s CUV, though it will be more family oriented when it goes on sale in Europe for the first time next year." I wonder what family oriented means?

I'm leaning toward a Ford Sport in White Platinum. I want to see Electric Spice but I think I would tire of the color. I would love to see the 2015 MKX but probably would still get the Edge Sport.

Blitz - I prefer the Edge Sport as well. Do you think the 2015 MKX will be release at the same time as the Edge? I wish you wouldn't brought up the power mirrors. The would be functional in my garage. Now I will have to miss them. :)

The MKC and the 2015 Edge share the same driverside window switch panel and I wonder if the Edge has the power folding mirrors, but they are not mentioning it. When the MKC was, first, introduced they did not mention the power folding mirrors, so maybe the Edge has it and will be mention/added later on when they go into production. The MKC power folding mirrors are activated when you turn on/off the car by the key fob.

The speedometer in the Edge concept did not make it to the production car, but the speedometer display is different than what I see in my 2013 Sport. The transmission gear display is in a different position and the two small display next to the speedometer show different functions that can be activated by the buttons on the steering wheel.

Edited by blitz118
  • Like 1

The MKC and the 2015 Edge share the same driverside window switch panel and I wonder if the Edge has the power folding mirrors, but they are not mentioning it. When the MKC was, first, introduced they did not mention the power folding mirrors, so maybe the Edge has it and will be mention/added later on when they go into production. The MKC power folding mirrors are activated when you turn on/off the car by the key fob.

The speedometer in the Edge concept did not make it to the production car, but the speedometer display is different than what I see in my 2013 Sport. The transmission gear display is in a different position and the two small display next to the speedometer show different functions that can be activated by the buttons on the steering wheel

Blitz - You gave me some hope the folding mirror option make it on the 2015 Ford Edge. Really, makes sense to have the option available since many in the CUV price segment have folding mirror available. Yesterday, I looked at some Ford Edge 2015 photos hoping I could see the switch or a something on the mirrors but I didn't see any telltale clues. On an Explorer the PowerFold Mirror switch is just above driver's power window button/switch.

Available PowerFold Mirrors:

2014 Ford F-150
2014 Ford Flex
2015 Ford Explorer
On a 2015 Ford Explorer, PowerFold Mirrors need option: BLIS Plus Inflatable Rear-Seatbelt Package
On an 2015 Explorer Limited or Sport, ADD BLIS (Blind Spot Information System) with Cross-traffic Alert [Net Price Change $595] which ADDS BLIS Plus Inflatable Rear-Seatbelt Package which ADDS PowerFold Mirror {total $595]
On an 2015 Explorer XLT, ADD BLIS (Blind Spot Information System) with Cross-traffic Alert [Net Price Change $595] which ADDS BLIS Plus Inflatable Rear-Seatbelt Package which does NOT ADD PowerFold Mirror [total $595]
I have to believe the 2015 Ford Edge will have PowerFold Mirror option since the 2015 Edge has the Inflatable Rear-Seatbelt Package.
Edited by JimPA

Blitz - You gave me some hope the folding mirror option make it on the 2015 Ford Edge. Really, makes sense to have the option available since many in the CUV price segment have folding mirror available. Yesterday, I looked at some Ford Edge 2015 photos hoping I could see a switch or a something on the mirrors but I didn't see any telltale clues.

I think the switch is on the driverside window panel.

Blitz - If you go to my first link post #23, baxterdown includes a picture of the Explorer PowerFold Mirror switch. The link is broken, image cannot be found. The image can be seen on my second link.

I looked at the images of the few 2015 Ford Edge available for the PowerFold Mirror switch but I didn't see any. Look at my third link and the 2015 Edge Titanium's driver door switch array is very similar to the Explorer driver door switch array with PowerFold Mirrors. I think the few 2015 Edges shown just don't have the PowerFold Mirror option installed but PowerFold Mirrors will be an option.

All the guys in the Explorer thread who don't understand why their Explorer Limited don't have PowerFold Mirrors, may not realize the dealer probably could have ordered PowerFold Mirrors with BLISS and not increased sticker price.

Ford Explorer Forum:

baxterdown's Explorer PowerFold Mirror switch image:

Car and Driver 2015 Ford Edge Titanium drive door switches:

Edited by JimPA

Baxterdown's Explorer PowerFold Mirror switch image: left button under the circle is the PowerFold Mirror switch. The right button is the heated mirror switch. The two switches on the top are left and right select mirror to adjust.

Edited by JimPA

One last post. Take a look at the cost of 2015 Edge Sport tire replacement: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?customSizeSearch=&performance=ALL&width=265%2F&ratio=40&diameter=21

265/40 R21, may come with Pirelli
Continental ContiSportContact 2 Max Performance Summer
Includes Manufacturer's Road Hazard Warranty
Set of 4: $1,592.00
Continental ContiSportContact 5P Max Performance Summer
Set of 4: $1,528.00
Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT Max Performance Summer
Set of 4: $1,948.00
After mail-in rebate: $1,868.00
Pirelli P Zero Max Performance Summer
Set of 4: $2,016.00
After mail-in rebate: $1,956.00
Continental CrossContact UHP Street/Sport Truck Summer
Set of 4: $1,592.00
Michelin Latitude Sport 3 Street/Sport Truck Summer
Road Hazard Program is not available for LT metric/flotation tires
Set of 4: $1,624.00
Edited by JimPA

Front end and the interior dash board look very similar to the Hyundai Santa Fe. Not sure if I am on board with the new Edge whereas the current Edge (I speak only in regards to the current Sport as I have one) still looks more aggressive then the 2015. Just me thou.

Front end and the interior dash board look very similar to the Hyundai Santa Fe. Not sure if I am on board with the new Edge whereas the current Edge (I speak only in regards to the current Sport as I have one) still looks more aggressive then the 2015. Just me thou.

Well they both have hexagon shaped grills, and vertical shaped air conditioner vents, and I've seen a lot of Hyundai Santa Fe, but I've never mistaken one for the 2015 Edge Sport.

I have a 2013 Sport, and the 2015 Sport looks just as good. Just me thou.

Edited by blitz118

Why would you need/want a separate heated mirror switch? Seems to work just fine in conjunction with the defroster the way it is configured now.

Nick - You make a very valid point. I may be wrong about that button. I got my information NOT from Ford but from a forum. I stand by the rest of my information concerning the PowerFold Mirror option. The left button is for the PowerFold Mirror. The icon is a little easier to make out on the low resolution images. Maybe Akirby knows what the switch on the drivers door above the power window button is.

Edited by JimPA

Blitz - If you go to my first link post #23, baxterdown includes a picture of the Explorer PowerFold Mirror switch. The link is broken, image cannot be found. The image can be seen on my second link.

I looked at the images of the few 2015 Ford Edge available for the PowerFold Mirror switch but I didn't see any. Look at my third link and the 2015 Edge Titanium's driver door switch array is very similar to the Explorer driver door switch array with PowerFold Mirrors. I think the few 2015 Edges shown just don't have the PowerFold Mirror option installed but PowerFold Mirrors will be an option.

All the guys in the Explorer thread who don't understand why their Explorer Limited don't have PowerFold Mirrors, may not realize the dealer probably could have ordered PowerFold Mirrors with BLISS and not increased sticker price.

Ford Explorer Forum:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308380&page=2

baxterdown's Explorer PowerFold Mirror switch image:

https://www.google.com/search?q=2015+ford+explored+power+fold+mirror+switch&tbm=isch&ei=k02zU9iuGI-gyASH74HYDw#q=2015+ford+explored+power+fold+mirror+switch+site:+http:%2F%2Fimg40.imageshack.us%2F&tbm=isch&imgdii=_

Car and Driver 2015 Ford Edge Titanium drive door switches:

http://media.caranddriver.com/images/14q2/610060/2015-ford-edge-titanium-interior-photo-610101-s-1280x782.jpg

After looking at Explorer window panel, and 2015 Edge window panel, I don't see the switch for the folding mirrors on the Edge. I'm not sure why did not include that feature, but it would have been nice to have it. Maybe they will include in a mid cycle refresh.

Blitz - I believe there is a good chance the 2015 Edge will have PowerFold Mirror option. I've seen detailed photo's of (3) 2015 Edges; Edge Sport in White Platinum, Edge Sport in Electric Spice and Edge Titanium in Bronze Fire or Ruby Red Edge. None of those had the PowerFold Mirror option but since all the SUV/CUV that share the driver's door switch assembly has PowerFold Mirrors I have to believe the 2015 Edge will have PowerFold Mirrors as an option. The 2015 Edges we've see thus far just hasn't had the PowerFold Mirror option. None of the (3) 2015 Edges had the Power Lift Gate option either, and none had the trailer towing package. On the Explorer you can tell if trailer towing option is present by the bumper cover.

The Escape uses a different driver's door switch assembly and does not have PowerFold Mirrors as an option. I've been wrong as many times as I've been right on this forum so take my opinion for what it is worth. The Fusion shares the same driver's door switch assembly as the Explorer/Edge/Flex but appears in the US, the PowerFold Mirrors are not an option. In Europe, I believe, the Fusion has PowerFold mirrors.

pjsockett - Good post, thanks.

You can get a good look at the PowerFold Mirror switch in this Ford video.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIxlSa_D_uA[/yt]

Edited by JimPA