2010 Ford Edge Headlight issue

poke71

I bought an HID headlight Pkg, with ballasts and all, ran them for a year. After the first bulb burnt out the second went within two weeks. I decided to go back to an OEM setup and bought Sylvania Ultra Star bulbs. After installing and turning them on the headlights didn't work. Since then I've done the following:

Checked connections

Checked fuses

Checked wiring

Will be checking voltage with multimeter

Disconnected battery in hopes to reset something

My dealership isn't the most trust worthy so I'd like to know as much as possible before I go in so they don't pull a fast one and say i need a new wiring harness.

Anyone else had this issue?

Heard about taking it in to get the cpu flashed? And about the Smart Junction Box being faulty.

May have to buy two new HID bulbs and see if they work, but rather bring it to back to OEM.

Poke71,

I bought HIDs for my high beams, didnt like them because of the HID 'lag' coming to temperature and the pattern they cast, it just wasn't right. So I installed the Sylvania's instead and they work well. Color is not HID but I'm not driving around with my high beams on all the time.

The HID ballasts should be plug and play, unless an HID harness was installed. For the higher wattage ballasts, this is necessary and surgical, the harness will need to be removed or you'll find that you may cook the new bulbs.

There is no reason to flash the PCM, and the smart junction box is probably intact as well.

Check the sockets with a VOM as you suggest. Make sure the switch is in the ON and not AUTOMATIC position if your car is so equipped. Check your fuses too and make sure they didn't blow when the ballasts came out. Examine the wiring carefully, the OEM socket is fed by 12 or 14 ga. wire ending with a socket, not plugged into another socket and then into the lamp as an HID may be.

Sometimes the HID 'spade' that plugs into the socket will distort the clip inside the socket, weakening the spring tension against the new spade on the bulb. You may need to dig into the socket and spread out the clip to improve the tension on the spade of the new lamp for it to carry the current to the OEM lamp.

Good luck. Let us know how you solved it!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...