The door is ajar

Patty

My one year old Edge keeps telling me my driver's side door is ajar each time i get in the car. I have to put the car in park and open and close the door one or more times to stop the annoying pinging sound and message. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, is it expensive to fix. My car is already out of warranty. I drive a lot.

Search is your friend :)

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/10869-door-ajar-warning-on-at-all-times/

Basically, the only known permanent solution is to replace the sensor/switch in the door. You can possibly alleviate with a thorough spray of electronics cleaner (evaporates & cleans) inside the door where the latch would fit. There is also a TSB for the dealer to use a special tool to "reset" the switch.

Consider this how to on replacing the part yourself:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/14262-how-to-replace-door-latch-module-for-door-ajar-warning/

How far out of warranty are you? If not by much, you may be able to talk the dealer into a warrantied replacement, or at least get discounted service.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2012 Edge limited and i have the same issue. the door shows ajar ALL The time, and to make it worse i can't use intelligent key features such as remote start etc. Because the door shows ajar. I would love for someone from ford to contact me about this before I take to other social media sites to vent my frustration. There is no reason a 2 year old car with just over 40K miles on it should have this kind of issue. I don't know why they don't send out a recall or at least offer to fix it. The consumer should not have to pay for something that is an obvious issue that appears to be prevalent to numerous car owners and is addressed in a TSB.

I have my 2012 Edge (still in warranty but about to go out) in the shop today for this problem plus a number of other issues--pings & says "shift to park" when car is in motion, "no key detected" & won't start & sometimes alarm goes off, driver door won't open with keyless entry, doors won't automatically lock when car is in motion or stay locked if button is pushed, alarm has gone off when car has been parked in garage (no one around), back lift door has at times gone back up after pushing the button & door has gone down. It is about to drive me crazy! Has anyone had this many issues with the electronics of their car? (They have already had to replace the screen mechanism--whatever you call it.) And to make matters worse, I am having to pay for a rental car while my car is being fixed while under warranty. They said it may take a "day or two". Doubt I will get another Ford after this one, & have driven many over the years.

• 3 weeks later...