I just ordered LED Switchbacks! $18.00... Hope they work.

I just ordered these 80 LED switchback turn signal bulbs for the front turn signals of my 2013 Limited. 18 bucks out the door, with free shipping didn't seem like a bad price compared to some others that I have seen.

I'm told from the seller that these are Type 1, 6000K, 80 LED, for 3157 sockets.

LEDSW.jpg

Seems like the right thing to me?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330876957490?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I wasn't sure what the 3157 meant. should I look for a 33 or 3457 instead? I don't want to burn anything up. that's for sure.

The size of the bulbs are identical, there are some slight differences in performance and electrical requirements:

3157:

volt: 12.8 / 14

amp: 2.1 / 0.59

watt: 26.9 / 8.26

i.lumens: 402 / 37.7

cp: 32 / 3

3457:

volt: 12.8 / 14

amp: 2.23 / 0.59

watt: 28.5 / 8.26

i.lumens: 503 / 37.7

cp: 40 / 3

All the stats apply to incandescent/halogen bulbs only. It is all negated by the use of LEDs which use the same spec bulb (again 3157 & 3457 are identical size and therefore the same led bulb is used for both).

Edited by candurin

I wasn't sure what the 3157 meant. should I look for a 33 or 3457 instead? I don't want to burn anything up. that's for sure.

Actually, you are fine with a 3157 bulb, as 33/3457 bulbs use MORE wattage than a 3157. Do you know the wattage rating for your LEDs? I didn't see it mentioned in the EBay listing. As long as it is under 24-25 watts, no problem. The seller is pretty responsive (personal experience) if you need to contact them.

I would think the LED would draw less wattage than an incadescent. A 25 watt LED would be about equivalent to a 100 watt incadescent.

The eBay offer mentions the need for a 'load resistor decoder', as I've seen in many posts on LED replacements for turn signals. Have you considered this?

Ya, They seem to be acting erratic now. Some times I get no day time running lights and the turn signals flash amber. some times the turn signals are amber, and some times the whites just stay on . Some times the whites flash and the ambers never come on. some times the amber flash and the whites never come on. I have a feeling that they are just cheap bulbs. I just hope I haven't done any damage to the cars electrical system....

Any thoughts guys? Would a resistor fix all these issues?

I'll go out and take a video when I have a moment, and possibly start a new thread to address the issue.

Edited by wisdomsp
  • Like 1