My new Edge... Frustrating experience so far

Nicknack

Well, I'm finally back in my vehicle after two days at the dealership. It turned out to be a couple belts. My bill was $300. It could have been much worse, but still stings particularly after the other things that I've had to fix and still the rear noise issue that will need to be resolved.

I appreciate Tricia, from Ford, reaching out and assisting. She got me in touch with the regional CSM who contacted me yesterday. The CSM was very professional and empathetic but not very helpful as she did nothing but call me. She explained that they do in fact have a "pot of money" as she put it to assist customers with issues like this when just outside of their warranty (which I expected they did). However, since I did not purchase my vehicle directly from a Ford dealership, they explained that they would not help me financially. She said it didn't matter that I was the second owner (which was my point earlier); the sole reason I'm not getting any financial assistance is that I bought my used car from somewhere other than a Ford dealership.

I won't write anything more about how I feel regarding Ford's decision not to help because anyone who has read this thread I'm sure gets it by now. I will say I'm quite disappointed and don't feel the same towards Ford. I'll leave it at that.

However, since I did not purchase my vehicle directly from a Ford dealership, they explained that they would not help me financially. She said it didn't matter that I was the second owner (which was my point earlier); the sole reason I'm not getting any financial assistance is that I bought my used car from somewhere other than a Ford dealership.

I won't write anything more about how I feel regarding Ford's decision not to help because anyone who has read this thread I'm sure gets it by now. I will say I'm quite disappointed and don't feel the same towards Ford. I'll leave it at that.

Without starting another pissing contest (I think everyone knows where we both stand), I'm curious as to why you believe Ford should go out of their way and help financially in this situation.

When you buy a used vehicle, Ford doesn't get a dime of revenue (regardless of whether it was purchased at a Ford dealer or somewhere else). It doesn't matter if that used vehicle is sold 10 times, not a dime of it goes to Ford after the initial sale.

In fact, by buying a used vehicle instead of a new vehicle you actually deprived Ford of revenue and profits and showed them that you're not as likely to buy a new Ford in the future.

Giving assistance to a loyal customer who has purchased new vehicles in the past and is likely to purchase another one in the future is probably a good investment. But I don't understand the logic in being mad at Ford for not covering it in this particular circumstance.

Pissing contests are apparently what you like to do with your "objective" stance as a moderator. You Sir, really don't know when to stop.

I've bought two brand NEW Ford vehicles in the past and very well could buy more in the future (not so sure now though); so much for half of your post. If you still have questions about why I (and many others) feel that Ford ought to support me in this situation, I invite you to go back and read the comments in this thread. If you are still left scratching your head, so be it. It's time to move on.

• Like 1

Well, I'm finally back in my vehicle after two days at the dealership. It turned out to be a couple belts. My bill was $300. It could have been much worse, but still stings particularly after the other things that I've had to fix and still the rear noise issue that will need to be resolved.

I'm glad at least the A/C etc problems have been fixed. The mechanic should be able to tell if there were obvious signs of abuse that led to their early demise. Anyhoo ...

I am guessing you will have to take the noise issue to your trusted mechanic, sadly. The only good thing about paying for it at a Ford dealership is you will get a 2 year warranty out of it. Hopefully you'd never need to use it!

I appreciate it. The service guys at the dealership were great. They took the time to answer all of my questions. Fortunately, the mechanic said that everything else looks good and there aren't any signs of abuse. As for the rear sound issue (low roar) when getting up to about 25 miles an hour or more, if it's a bearing, wouldn't that be covered under the powertrain warranty?

Opinions are inherently subjective in nature. That is what subjectivity means.

I agree that as a moderator you can have opinions and should share them when it's appropriate. However, I just don't like the way you try and ram your opinions down other people's throats. You have a pattern of doing this. I've read other threads where you exhibited similar behavior. Heck, I'm not the only one who believes this - two others just in this very thread have made similar comments regarding your moderating style.

• Like 1

As for the rear sound issue (low roar) when getting up to about 25 miles an hour or more, if it's a bearing, wouldn't that be covered under the powertrain warranty?

Pretty sure it's not unless you have at least ExtraCare level ESP from Ford (or maybe WarrantyDirect?). It is specifically listed under ExtraCare (and PremiumCare) coverage as (Bearings - Front & Rear Wheel Drive Axle Hubs). But worth asking about.

Opinions are inherently subjective in nature. That is what subjectivity means.

I agree that as a moderator you can have opinions and should share them when it's appropriate. However, I just don't like the way you try and ram your opinions down other people's throats. You have a pattern of doing this. I've read other threads where you exhibited similar behavior. Heck, I'm not the only one who believes this - two others just in this very thread have made similar comments regarding your moderating style.

Point taken, although 2 people agree with me also. However this isn't my opinion. Here is a better analogy.

You decide not to renew your auto collision coverage. 2 days later you total your car. Would you expect the insurance company to cover your loss? Warranties are insurance policies.

• 2 weeks later...

It is !! and thanks for the offer but I will have to take a pass ;)

Ahhh... and just when I thought I had a shot. :-)

In all seriousness, as this is a thread under "First Impressions", I don't want to give people the wrong "impression", I really like my Edge, particularly MFT. Every morning that I drive to work, I am reminded how much I really enjoy the ride. I just hope that these issues are behind me.

Edited by Nicknack
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Sorry, but the dealer offered you an extended warranty and you chose not to buy it, so it's hard for me to have any sympathy.

Look at it this way - you're still $900 ahead.

You're unbelievable. A 3 year old car with 37k miles is falling apart and it's the owner's fault for not getting an extended warranty? What about manufacturing a decent vehicle?

And you're the moderator here? Hilarious.

Edited by Vapour Trails

You're unbelievable. A 3 year old car with 37k miles is falling apart and it's the owner's fault for not getting an extended warranty? What about manufacturing a decent vehicle?

And you're the moderator here? Hilarious.

The car was bought used AFTER the bumper to bumper warranty expired. You can't decide to save money by not buying a warranty then expect the mfr to fix it for free.

• 2 years later...

I will just say this on this post. You should never have to buy and extended warranty. That tells me they don't expect the vehicle to last past a certain point. If Ford had faith in their product they would have a basic warranty that was 100k miles 10 years. Not this stupid 36k or 6 years whichever comes first. I put 33,000 on my vehicle the first year. However, I have not had any major issues. All others were covered under TB. If the extended warranty is not actually through Ford I would never buy it if is through another party. To difficult getting them to follow through.

Last, whether you are the first owner or second owner it shouldn't make a different if whether Ford backs up their product or not. I will have to disagree with the moderator here. The fact that someone bought it used might be the only way they could get into the specific Ford vehicle. I should not have to buy NEW to get Fords support or respect. That is just backwards thinking in my opinion and like the moderator said he can have an opinion then so can I.

Warranties mean nothing about reliability - they're just insurance policies. Honda is one of the best but only offers 3 yr/36k mile warranty. Hyundai was one of the worst when they offered 10 yr/100k mile warranties. Do you really think Hyundai 10 years ago was better than Honda? Of course not - the extra warranty just adds to the cost of the vehicle.

Ford could easily offer 7/100k standard warranty but they would have to increase the cost of the vehicles by $1k or more. And that goes for every mfr not just Ford. Since a lot of people don't want to pay extra for that coverage (especially of you're leasing) they make it optional.

The point is the buyer pays for warranty coverage either way - whether it's standard or optional. That's not opinion that's fact.