Scuffed/cracked chrome-clad wheel from snow-covered drain. Have dealer protection plan. Should I be worried?

rpeters83

Just picked up my 07 last month. I went up into the mountains and pulled off the road only to scrape a drain that was covered in snow. My added dealer protection plan says road hazards are covered but excludes "cosmetic damages as a result of hitting a curb". This is a little more than a scrape, but the outer edges are completely scuffed up and is bent on the edge.

This exclusion sounds a bit odd. How else can a wheel become damaged? The only part that is cracked/scraped is the plastic cover; no damage to the tire or underlying rim.

I saw this exclusion and am still hoping they'll honor the protection plan.

Does anyone know if it's a pain to simply replace the plastic cover? I don't want them to feed me any BS and say it's not covered when I head down there Monday. Did anyone have to use a similar type of plan for wheel scuffs (I'm sure I'm not the only one who has scuffed a wheel)?

Thanks!

Ryan

Edited by rpeters83

I don't know if it will be covered under your plan or not. I do know that those covers are not replacable, you have to get a new rim. Sorry.

Thanks for the reply. I just found the plan company's website. The plan I have is this: http://www.cnanational.com/PTC.htm

It says "Pays to repair or replace factory wheels and/or tires damaged by road hazards such as potholes, rocks, tree limbs and other debris.". I mean, that seems like it's covered to me.

Honestly, if you get the wheel replaced, you'd be like the first person in history that ever got it covered. What they will tell you is, that if the wheel was damaged beyond repair due to hitting a tree limb, etc. to the point that the wheel integrity or function was compromised, then the warranty will kick in. Bent Wheel, Lip not holding air, enlarged bolt clearance holes. What you have is cosmetic damage.

Honestly, if you get the wheel replaced, you'd be like the first person in history that ever got it covered. What they will tell you is, that if the wheel was damaged beyond repair due to hitting a tree limb, etc. to the point that the wheel integrity or function was compromised, then the warranty will kick in. Bent Wheel, Lip not holding air, enlarged bolt clearance holes. What you have is cosmetic damage.

Geez. think I should just call up my insurance then?

Best thing is to man up, buy a new wheel. If you go through insurance, you eventually end up paying a lot more as your premium is increased by making a claim (if they don't laugh at you) than you would just by taking care of it yourself.

Of course, if you want to try lying to the dealer, they also will laugh in your face. More than once, too.

No. Don't.

What is your deductible? Even if it is $100.00, if the wheel is $150.00, you are eating the first $100.00.

Not worth having a claim on your policy.

(and Edgeinator...we never laugh at customers who call in with claims or questions. Really. We don't. Ok, well, maybe a little..but only after we hang up)

Edited by Good_Hands

Just picked up my 07 last month. I went up into the mountains and pulled off the road only to scrape a drain that was covered in snow. My added dealer protection plan says road hazards are covered but excludes "cosmetic damages as a result of hitting a curb". This is a little more than a scrape, but the outer edges are completely scuffed up and is bent on the edge.

This exclusion sounds a bit odd. How else can a wheel become damaged? The only part that is cracked/scraped is the plastic cover; no damage to the tire or underlying rim.

I saw this exclusion and am still hoping they'll honor the protection plan.

Does anyone know if it's a pain to simply replace the plastic cover? I don't want them to feed me any BS and say it's not covered when I head down there Monday. Did anyone have to use a similar type of plan for wheel scuffs (I'm sure I'm not the only one who has scuffed a wheel)?

Thanks!

Ryan

Hey Ryan sorry to here about your wheels but I have a set of 4 (rims only no tires with them) if you want to buy them. I took my chrome clad wheels off the car a week after I bought the car because I was disappointed that they were plastic. I have been trying to sell them every since. I payged $750 for all for when I purchased the car.