20" vs. 22" upgrade opinions

bdevillier19

i recently purchased a barely used 2012 edge se and it has the factory 17" alloys on it. the tires will be needing replacing sooner than later and i'd like to take the opportunity to upgrade to something a little more visually appealing. i am tossed between 20" or 22" wheels and i'd like to hear the pro's, con's and opinions about it. the reason i'm looking at 20"+ is i feel anything smaller and i might as well stay with what i have. i have read about the ride quality on the 22" wheels and was wanting to know how bad we're talking. i have a kia soul on factory 18" wheels with 45 series tires and the ride is harsh but not too bad. i'd really like to go with the 22" because i think it looks the best and fills the wheel well nicely. please feel free to post experiences or opinions. thanks

Edited by bdevillier19

I test drove Edges with all rim options (18s, 20s and 22s) and ended up buying the Sport with the 22". The ride quality is pretty nice and firm, as I like my cars....(altho' the Edge belongs to the missus) certainly not harsh in any way... To be honest, I may be biased since I own 3 German autos all of which ride pretty firm and sporty, so take my opinion with a grain of German-bias salt :)

It is a decision between ride comfort (soft and cushy, i.e., 18"s) versus firm and more sure-footed ride (i.e., 22s)... or the compromise between the two (i.e., 20s). But going from 17s to 18s is no real upgrade... going up to 20 or 22, now that is truly changing things up...

There might be suspension tuning differences from the factory with the Sport (spring rates, I believe) to complement the 22 inch wheels. I wouldn't assume that putting 22 inchers on a lower trim level Edge would ride as well as factory, but how much difference, hard to say.

Consider also that if you use lightweight wheels, the vehicle will not dampen road abnormalities as well. More sidewall also helps in this area. The tradeoff is likely to be mpg and handling (though hardly severe).

Hopefully owners that have done this upgrade will chime in soon :) Good luck!

Exactly. The factory does a good job of tuning the suspension for 20s and 22s from the factory. With aftermarket wheels and a factory 17" setup you might get different results. You might want to check the shocks and springs between the 17", 20" and 22" factory versions and upgrade those as well if they're different.

Thanks for all the replies. Rocket I'm with you I prefer a more sure footed ride and like to feel the feed back from the road a bit more. Used to have an e46 m3 and boy I miss that car. I did notice the towing capacity per ford drops to 2000lbs with 22" wheels but the only thing I'll be towing is my trailer with my quad or dirt bike to the sand dunes. After hearing the feed back thus far I think I'm leaning towards 22s just because to me the 20" wheel is still kind of factory looking by today's standards. Thanks again for the input and if anyone else has anything to add please do.

Edited by bdevillier19

Keep in mind that the 22's will be make it appear as if your edge has less power, due to the weight difference of the wheel. This may sound silly, but different acceleration test have shown that the Edge sport increase in power have for the most part been negated by the weight of the 22's. If you put those on a regular edge (with the 3.5) I suppose the difference would be noticeable.

As far as handling goes, it is still a big vehicle, with a high center of gravity and a fair bit of suspension travel, so I am not sure that sidewall difference would be that noticeable. (My expectations being that body roll is the biggest handling differentiator here.)

Bottom line is if you want the look and a firmer ride, go with the 22s, but be aware of the possible drop in acceleration and possibly unnoticeable advantage in handling.

Keep in mind that the 22's will be make it appear as if your edge has less power, due to the weight difference of the wheel. This may sound silly, but different acceleration test have shown that the Edge sport increase in power have for the most part been negated by the weight of the 22's. If you put those on a regular edge (with the 3.5) I suppose the difference would be noticeable.

As far as handling goes, it is still a big vehicle, with a high center of gravity and a fair bit of suspension travel, so I am not sure that sidewall difference would be that noticeable. (My expectations being that body roll is the biggest handling differentiator here.)

Bottom line is if you want the look and a firmer ride, go with the 22s, but be aware of the possible drop in acceleration and possibly unnoticeable advantage in handling.

Also, it seems there is a weight difference in the 3.7 Engine cause both, the Sport & MKX are ~ 200lbs heavier than a 3.5 Edge (AWD vs. AWD & FWD vs. FWD).

I believe the OP is not necessarily upgrading to the factory Sport 22" rims... looks like he is just looking to upgrade to larger AM rims which should all be lighter in weight compared to the 85Ib (ea) beasts on the Edge Sport (but they sure look great :)). So rim weight, acceleration and mpg should hopefully not be too challenging with the lighter AM rims...

Well according to this topic they would weight 46 lb each, and the Edge Sport would have the suspension specifically tune for them. http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/7124-22-edge-sport-wheels-on-fordpartscom/

But you are right, the OP could shop and find lighter wheel than the stock wheels, as long as he takes it into consideration. This may come at a cost or lower quality wheel. Not all wheels are built equal.

• 4 weeks later...

Newb here. I have been searching for 20" rim replacements for my wife's 2011 Edge Sport for the past 2 months. She travels the state day to day and gets 22mpg on average. I wanted to get her average mileage up to at least 24. Green filter was the first add on. While I was replacing her rotors this past weekend, I decided to weight one of these 22" monsters with lugs since I keep seeing 85lbs out here. I saw 74lbs without lugs and 75 with lugs. I have settled on a set of Advanti Bello 20" with a set of Yokohama YK580 265/50r20". New YokoTires weigh in at 37lbs and Bello rims are at 29.35 lbs. total 66.35lbs then add TPS sensors and balancing weight, should still be around a 6 to 8lb savings per wheel. The price of these rims are very reasonable right now. For those who have swapped from 22" to 20" on the Sport with Yokohama tires, what changes were notcieable? Photos soon once they arrive.

post-31707-0-20212200-1411501917_thumb.jpg

Newb here. I have been searching for 20" rim replacements for my wife's 2011 Edge Sport for the past 2 months. She travels the state day to day and gets 22mpg on average. I wanted to get her average mileage up to at least 24. Green filter was the first add on. While I was replacing her rotors this past weekend, I decided to weight one of these 22" monsters with lugs since I keep seeing 85lbs out here. I saw 74lbs without lugs and 75 with lugs. I have settled on a set of Advanti Bello 20" with a set of Yokohama YK580 265/50r20". New YokoTires weigh in at 37lbs and Bello rims are at 29.35 lbs. total 66.35lbs then add TPS sensors and balancing weight, should still be around a 6 to 8lb savings per wheel. The price of these rims are very reasonable right now. For those who have swapped from 22" to 20" on the Sport with Yokohama tires, what changes were notcieable? Photos soon once they arrive.

Just so I understand, you want to go down to 20" rims so as to gain 2 MPG? In an SUV/CUV? If MPG is that important, why not get a hybrid (gas-electric or plug-in) that will get you 40+MPG? Methinks MPG and CUVs don't quite co-exist. Even with the 2.0L EcoBoost engine on the Edge, the MPG gain is miniscule compared to say an SEL with the 18" rims... Maybe 2-4 MPG difference, if that... BTW, I get lots of compliments on the 22's everywhere.... It is unique on a Ford and do turn heads, especially if tricked out with the red caliper covers... As for MPG, I am doing 19.7 MPG routinely (mix of city & freeways), and no complaints... Knew going in I was buying a big 4400 Ib beast...

jus' sayn'....

Edited by rocketace1

Just so I understand, you want to go down to 20" rims so as to gain 2 MPG? In an SUV/CUV? If MPG is that important, why not get a hybrid (gas-electric or plug-in) that will get you 40+MPG? Methinks MPG and CUVs don't quite co-exist. Even with the 2.0L EcoBoost engine on the Edge, the MPG gain is miniscule compared to say an SEL with the 18" rims... Maybe 2-4 MPG difference, if that... BTW, I get lots of compliments on the 22's everywhere.... It is unique on a Ford and do turn heads, especially if tricked out with the red caliper covers... As for MPG, I am doing 19.7 MPG routinely (mix of city & freeways), and no complaints... Knew going in I was buying a big 4400 Ib beast...

jus' sayn'....

Knew what she was buying, No complaints, just aiming to gain as much mpg as possible. My goal in all my vehicles and bikes, is to compliment the looks and asthetics as well as gain performance and fuel mileage. Yeah we also get allot of compliments on the 22's, personally I think they would looks better all gloss Black which is what I still may do and make them her summer set. Hybrids not for me, but thanks for your input.

22 mpg ... either all/mostly highway, or FWD, right? Would be quite the feat with AWD in mixed or city driving. Can't wait to see pics of your new wheels/tires mounted on the Sport!

Yeah it is FWD. On highway I have seen 24, but overall average still hits 22 with using AC. As soon as these rims and tores are in, I will post the pics.

TSW Nurburgring 20"x 8.5" = 23 lbs. pretty much the lightest 20" wheel you'll find, but they aren't cheap, and I have no idea if you'll get your 2 mpg out of them. I love mine, but haven't driven much other than around town to see mileage gains.

Yeah those had my eye for sure. Nice looking rims. Just didn;t want to spend the coin when I know she will curb them. :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...