Yokohama YK580's on crazy sale

wlepse

Well there are a ton of good deals available right now at Discount Tire Direct but I wanted to give fellow Edge drivers a heads up. They currently have the Yokohama YK580 in a 245/60/18 for $121 each, plus there are rebates from Yokohama and DTD of $60 and $50 respectively but the kicker is they will double these rebates if you use their Visa card. I applied online and had instant approval. In the end a set of (4) shipped to me is $264! I can't find used tires with decent tread for that price. So I figure I would give you all a heads up.

• Like 1

Good...glad someone else got a good deal on a set. Mine got delivered today. Once we get back from vacation I will get them mounted. My plan was to pick up snows now and all seasons in the spring but the deal was too good to pass up. Think I will drive these for a bit just to make sure there are no issues then get snows mounted on my other set of rims.

• 3 months later...

I just figured I would give a little update to this thread for others looking for replacement tires. First of all, the rebate process was super smooth and all rebates were paid including the doubles from DTD. So if they were to run this promotion again in the future I wouldnā€™t hesitate to make a purchase. It also turned out that opening the card with them gives you 6 months deferred, so win win.

Ā 

I had the first set installed on the wifeā€™s Edge a few weeks back. The OEM Michelin Lattitudes were getting low and were starting to slip a lot on damp roads, mainly due to the leaf litter. Since there was a chance of some snow some nights I figured it was best to just do the swap. Initial impressions of the tires were not super positive. They do appear to be as quiet as the OEMā€™s but this is somewhat subjective especially since I tend to listen to the radio while driving. But I found wet traction to be less than I had hoped for. Even a few days in after all of the release compound should have been washed/worn off the tires seemed to push/slip rather easily. But after a few weeks the grip in the wet seems good but there is still a sense of pushing/rolling in turns. I am guessing the sidewalls are not as stiff as the Michelinā€™s even though I believe the load ratings are the same.

Ā 

Recently I had the same tires installed on my Audi A4 since a snow storm was headed our way and I figured these would be better than what I had. Again I noticed the initial wet traction was weak but it seemed to get better quickly. This may be due to the longer 40+ mile commute each way. Either way I was still concerned about snow traction with the impending storm. Turned out this was unfounded. We ended up getting close to a foot and never once lost gripā€¦unless I was trying to have some fun. I had to go up and down several steep inclines, all of which were completely covered in snow, some only an inch or so but the hill by my house I could hear it hitting the undercarriage. Braking in the snow was also very good. Donā€™t get me wrong nothing beats dedicated snows but I was happily surprised with the snow performance.

Ā 

Gas mileage may have decreased a little but this is tough to confirm since they typically switch to winter blends and we see a 1-2mpg drop.

Ā 

Overall for around $250 after discounts for a set of four I canā€™t complain at all. The dry handling performance on the Audi is just as good as any other tire I have had, so maybe this pushing is just an issue of the taller sidewall and extra weight with the Edge. Or it since I donā€™t DD the Edge maybe this has always been the case, it isnā€™t like the Edge is designed to be a canyon carver.

• Like 1

I do have a set of these on mine and can say I like these way better than the Pirelli Scorpion Verdes I was originally looking at. The gripe about the reduction in mileage is true when driving around the city. However, I did average 22-24 mpg on a trip to Chicago with 3 people and a fully loaded Edge. Coming back, the mileage dropped to 19 due to the loaded storage bin on top adding drag.

Man I wish we could get anywhere near 22-24...I think the best we have ever seen was 21 for one tank while driving from NJ to NC. Most of the time we see 18-19 and it doesn't change much between city and highway.

Ā 

Anyway I really can't complain. I would certainly consider getting these again at full price of ~$120 each but at less than $70 each these are a steal.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

They are 169.oo ea today.

Ā 

If you can wait, Discount Tire Direct runs some great deals a few times each year. I picked my Yk's up for $264.00 shipped to my door after all the rebates. I kinda jumped the gun because of the great deal and mine have been sitting in the basement for almost a year now but I gotta put them on before winter.

Just bouhgt five Coker Classics for my 57 T-Bird from Amazon, $1035. Discount charged me $75 to install and balance. They ask why I didn't get the tires from them. Told them Amazon was $400 cheaper. Discount for four Coker Classics = $1365, Amazon = $965.

Ā 

Burke

I had a set YK580 tires on my old 2004 Infiniti FX45 and they were great tires.

Ā 

The had my FX45 handling like a car half it size.

Ā 

Improved my braking as well.

Ā 

However, i have never tried them in the snow or ice but dry/wet performance is great with these tires in my opinion.

Ā 

Pics from my wheel bearing change in a different forum.

Ā 

The YK580 tires look good.

Ā 

IMG_20131026_093821_056_zps4c7283d9.jpg

Ā 

IMG_20131026_094804_627_zps9c19675f.jpg

Edited by carguy75
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Figured I would post up another update.

Ā 

While these tires seem to perform fine in the wet, dry and limited snow I am concerned about the wear. If you buy these expected to get anywhere near the 60k treadlife they quote I think you will be disappointed. I probably have between 10-15k on these and I have 7-8/32nds left. I think typical wear band is around 3/32 and new depths are around 10/32". So 10/32-3/32 = 7/32 useable tread...10/32-7.5/32= 2.5/32" tread used...7/2.5(15,000)= 42,000miles. I think this is an over estimate since the wife typically does about 15k/year and we are sitting at 9 months. Anyway, for what I paid if I get 40k that is OK with me. Just wanted to let the rest of you know not to expect 60k out of these.

Ā 

I will have to get some measurements on the Audi to compare but just visually they look like they have similar wear. So I don't think this is an issue with one vehicle or driving styles since we rarely drive each others.

• Like 2

Figured I would post up another update.

Ā 

While these tires seem to perform fine in the wet, dry and limited snow I am concerned about the wear. If you buy these expected to get anywhere near the 60k treadlife they quote I think you will be disappointed. I probably have between 10-15k on these and I have 7-8/32nds left. I think typical wear band is around 3/32 and new depths are around 10/32". So 10/32-3/32 = 7/32 useable tread...10/32-7.5/32= 2.5/32" tread used...7/2.5(15,000)= 42,000miles. I think this is an over estimate since the wife typically does about 15k/year and we are sitting at 9 months. Anyway, for what I paid if I get 40k that is OK with me. Just wanted to let the rest of you know not to expect 60k out of these.

Ā 

I will have to get some measurements on the Audi to compare but just visually they look like they have similar wear. So I don't think this is an issue with one vehicle or driving styles since we rarely drive each others.

I agree that 60k miles is a stretch with the YK580's.

Ā 

I never rotated my tires on the FX45 and the rears was near the wear bars after about a couple years or 30k miles or so.(I drive about 60 miles a day to work and home)

Ā 

The front tires had double the tread left, so they were still like new after a couple years.

Ā 

Therefore, i just bought a new pair for the rear and got a discount for the worn tires from Discount Tire, so I only paid a total of $160.00 for both tires installed on the rear axle.

Ā 

I left the front tires alone since they had minimal wear.

Ā 

That is why I love Discount Tires!!!

Ā 

The only way to get to 60k miles on the YK580 is to rotate the tires every 5k miles like Discount Tire stores recommend(the one in my area at least) I suppose.

Edited by carguy75

Don't think the rotations would help much. Ours should have been rotated twice since installation since we had the "Works" done at Ford and wear front to rear is pretty much the same. There is just no way these will last to 60k. I think we will be hard pressed to get 40k. Really I will probably pull them before that since my wife hates driving in the rain and anything that makes her more nervous has to go. So typically I replace tires probably around 5/32" just so she has less to be worried about.

Just checked the Audi tonight and I have basically 8/32" all the way around. Based on this thread I had these installed late November. Since I typically do 20k a year I probably have 15k on these so these are in the same ballpark as the Edge. Again not terrible especially given the price with rebates but at full price I would pass on these.

• 3 months later...

I just had my YK580's installed a few days ago (2011 SEL). Stock Latitudes had 61,000 on them and were probably good for another 10,000 if I wanted to stretch it. Ride seems a little softer so far and they are nice and quite on the highway. Headed up north for a month of bow hunting tomorrow so I'm sure I'll get to test these out in the mud, rain, ice and snow. I rotate religiously at 7,000 so maybe I can reach the 60 grand mark before having to replace these.

• Like 2

I would definitely pass on these even at the crazy low price if you live in an area with snow and you don't run dedicated snow tires. While these were fine last year in the snow, the amount of tread left after one year of driving is not enough for me to feel safe letting the wife and little man go out. This is with at most 20k on them. Luckily I have a set of dedicated snows I will put on this year, but if not these would be getting tossed in favor of a new set for winter. There simply isn't enough tread depth left to be safe in snow. If I could have gotten two safe winters out of these I would say they were worth the price but if <20K makes the them wear out tis much they are a no go for me in the future...unless they are free.