2008 Edge Compass Won't Calibrate - I'm DIZZY!!

:noobie: Hi all! I've had my 2008 Edge for 5 years and the compass has always worked fine. About a week ago I started getting a beep whenever I started the car and the OD area read "Compass Data Error." I did a bunch of look-ups on the internet to see if I could find a quick fix but nothing came up to help with the older model (this isn't the floating compass graphic, just a direction letter or letters next to the odometer). I got out my manual and followed the instructions for resetting the compass...I turned everything off (radio/fan/etc.)...I selected my zone (6)...I got to the calibrate by making slow circles bit... I had gone to an empty parking lot (away from power lines) to have room and I proceeded to make about 1,753 circles...in both directions...at slower and faster speeds...larger and smaller circles...going first to the left and then to the right...tried actually holding DOWN the reset button while making the circles...(yes...I started the calibration over each time after making 5 or 6 circles...the manual saying it would take up to 3 to calibrate). :twister:

Cannot get it to complete calibration. I am assuming that my compass is "stuck" but I don't know where it is located to give it a "tap"...which would be my next thought.

It's not the end of the world to not know in which direction I'm headed...but it IS annoying to get beeped at every time I turn on the car. :shift:

Any help appreciated!!

The compass itself is the big lump behind the rearview mirror on the windshield. Chances are it's either the compass itself or the wiring to it.

On a related note, I once installed a compass/mirror on my Focus. But I messed up the wiring, so the compass only worked when the brake lights were on. But I wanted to calibrate it anyway, just to make sure it worked otherwise, but I never imagined how difficult it is to drive in a complete circle in a manual trans car with the brakes on.

• Like 2