Fuel consumption 12.58 MPG in the city on AWD 2008, your thoughts?

EDST777

Hello. Friends I own Ford EDGE 2008 3.5 AWD Limited. Fuel consumption in the city 12.58 MPG. 93% a driving around the city with an average speed on the computer of 25 kilometers per hour. 7% of a driving on the highway, with a speed of 120 - 140 kilometers for an hour - fuel consumption in the country 19.6 MPG. My fuel of 92 units. I did replacement of all sparks of ignition(OEM). At such driving it is normal? Thanks.

P.s. On my odometer run of 71300 miles.My wheels of 20 inches and in the winter and in the summer, in the winter fuel consumption increases to 11.2 MPG, because of low temperature of-28 degrees Celsius.Other problems it isn't observed on my supervision with the engine. At a start of motion when the car leaves from a parking sometimes when transfer selector in an interval between P and R there is a small push, especially if the car a little under an inclination costs, but I read that such is at many. I mean, what there can be my transmission increases in any way an expense, such it is possible? Guys at whom else such expense in the city at such average speed? I have in the city frequent dispersals stops on traffic lights, therefore average speed not the big.

Edited by EDST777

City driving is going to be tough on mileage, no question. You should be getting somewhat better, if you don't accelerate hard all the time, unless you have no chance to go easy on the gas between lights. I think you'd qualify for severe duty service intervals. So spark plug replacement was a good idea.

You mentioned transmission fluid in another thread. Once you get the Mercon V in there, hopefully you will see improvement in transmission behavior, and quite likely mpg as well. I'd also consider changing out the PTU and RDU fluids as well.

post-23566-0-90977000-1409457703_thumb.jpg

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 1

Thank you for the answer. Thus I prepare for ATF Mercon V transmission oil replacement and as I am going to replace liquids in PTU and RDU. As it will influence fuel consumption I will report here for an example. I will look for at this forum of a subject about replacement of liquids in PTU and RDU. If someone can show them I will be grateful. Thanks for the help.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Do you know if they change the gas formula between summer and winter? Possibly colder air = denser air, but lack of humidity might make things balance out. My average MPG is around 20 with most of it not dense city, nor highway.

Also AWD drops the MPG, too. I have a FWD. Do you know of anyone else in town with a similar Edge? What are their numbers?

Edited by Brucifer
  • Like 1

As Brucifer pointed out, could be the fuel, could be the type of driving, how much idling time the engine is seeing (shouldn't idle more than 30 seconds - 1 minute when cold; after that drive gently while the engine/trans warm up). Did you change the spark plugs/PCV valve yet? This is an obvious one, but air filter changed? Running fuel injector cleaner through the tank, and/or a drier product (especially if the fuel in your area contains ethanol) could help.

I would log the fuel pressure, throttle position, fuel trims, oxygen sensors, spark durations, etc. to see if that provides insight on where the problem might lie.

• Like 1

Do you know if they change the gas formula between summer and winter? Possibly colder air = denser air, but lack of humidity might make things balance out. My average MPG is around 20 with most of it not dense city, nor highway.

Also AWD drops the MPG, too. I have a FWD. Do you know of anyone else in town with a similar Edge? What are their numbers?

Thanks. I understand that AWD forces to increase a gasoline consumption on 2-3 liters, also I agree that in the winter an expense still to increase by 2-4 liters (it warmings up and as you told dense cold air give), total there have to be 18 liters on 100 km in the winter, it is about 13 mpg (winter). In my winter of 10.23-10.69 mpg. But my driving only around the city and average speed around the city 14.2 miles an hour (on the computer). Yes, really I noticed that with increase in average speed around the city the consumption of gasoline decreases, but
we have many traffic lights) and there is no opportunity to increase movement speed. In the country on the route the consumption of gasoline decreases to 19.6 mpg. In my city there are no cars of generation 2006-2010, cars after 2011 are more widespread, such cars seldom but can be met. It is strange that this model wasn't understood in the countries of the former USSR (Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Belarussiya etc.), it is possible is connected with system of the taxation where charge of payment on engine capacity, it was necessary to make artificial reduction of power on this model, so managers of Ford guessed to make with Explorer, but they forgot about EDGE). A result - small sales, 800 cars are sold across all Russia for 2013-2014. Cars gathered on a konveer in the city of Yelabuga (Russia), at the end of 2014 Ford reported that stops assembly of Ford EDGE 2011-2014 in Russia. Now all wait and started hoping productions of new model if Ford thinks more more), than to sleep). Perhaps Obama doesn't allow now Ford to do it) therefore at us love Toyota, Mercedes, Audi, BMW and the last four years very much assets of Hyunday, KIA and ssangyong.
From information which I receive from other cities I drew a conclusion on this car that by cars of the first generation of 2006-2010 of AWD, very often real expense in the city around 13.07-11.76 Mpg. I obtain such data from Ukraine where cars of these years were sold by gray dealers since 2008. Therefore in Ukraine of cars of the first generation 2006-2010, from all a camp of the USSR, most of all (there can be about 100 cars). I noticed that by cars after 2011 the expense is less though structurally these cars are identical, they differ only externally. My such story).
  • Like 1

As Brucifer pointed out, could be the fuel, could be the type of driving, how much idling time the engine is seeing (shouldn't idle more than 30 seconds - 1 minute when cold; after that drive gently while the engine/trans warm up). Did you change the spark plugs/PCV valve yet? This is an obvious one, but air filter changed? Running fuel injector cleaner through the tank, and/or a drier product (especially if the fuel in your area contains ethanol) could help.

I would log the fuel pressure, throttle position, fuel trims, oxygen sensors, spark durations, etc. to see if that provides insight on where the problem might lie.

My engine works as the idler more than one minute in the winter (from one to 12 minutes). It depends on frosts. Temperature to happen in the winter from-10 to-30 degrees. It seems to me in-25 degrees a little for heating of the engine of one minute as you consider though I so did earlier: heating of the engine one minute and further a careful, quiet driving before full warming up.
I did replacement of sparks last year (there were then 95000 km), the engine filter I change each 8 000 km. I have ELS 27 cord it works with the ForScan program, I will have opportunity with its help to measure the indications specified by you, I saw there to eat indications which can be removed from a throttle valve, its situation in closed form 0.5 degrees seemed to me. Where it is possible to take data which on which I will have to be guided when checking? Thanks.
p.s.: I agree that quality of gasoline can influence my expense, I know that on quality on gasoline is a little worse, I can assume that it increases an expense on 2 liters (0.52 gallons). Outside the city my consumption of gasoline on speed of 120 000 km/h of 12 liters at 100 kilometers (19.6 mpg).
Edited by EDST777

Are you saying that you think the power output of the engine was reduced so that people would pay a lower tax?

If that is true, since the engine is controlled by a computer, it might be possible to change the computer program to increase power and efficiency. I am not that familiar with the Edge enough to know if a dealer could change the software or even if you could get another computer from North America (or Europe) and swap out the one that you have. I do not know how much of the engine you would have to change out to make the new software work such as fuel injectors or the mass airflow sensor. It may not be worth the hassle with cost and location of the computers and how many computers you would have to replace. I am just not that familiar with the Edge in America to start with and the Russian one even less.

• Like 2

Are you saying that you think the power output of the engine was reduced so that people would pay a lower tax?

If that is true, since the engine is controlled by a computer, it might be possible to change the computer program to increase power and efficiency. I am not that familiar with the Edge enough to know if a dealer could change the software or even if you could get another computer from North America (or Europe) and swap out the one that you have. I do not know how much of the engine you would have to change out to make the new software work such as fuel injectors or the mass airflow sensor. It may not be worth the hassle with cost and location of the computers and how many computers you would have to replace. I am just not that familiar with the Edge in America to start with and the Russian one even less.

Yes, you are right, the output power was a little reduced, for this purpose that would pay less tax, at other rate. But so did on Explorer which do in Russia though there the same engine as on EDGE.
On Ford EDGE which assembled in Russia, it wasn't done. That shakes my car, it was shipped from New York at the age of 3 years (it is shipped in 2011), it the Canadian assembly and on it everything is standard, as well as by all similar cars in the USA.

What is the oil you use in the Edge? Ford specifies 5W20, you might want to try 0W20 instead, especially in the wintertime, and see if that helps. It should definitely make startups easier. Is HEET available in your area? Run it through a tankful of gas (or two). Do you remote start? If so, try leaving the climate control on MAX HEAT or DEFROST before turning off the engine, to make interior warm up quicker. Is installing an engine block heater a possibility? Check tire pressures after the vehicle is sitting overnight. They should be 35 psi or so at that time, before any driving.

There's always the option of "golf-balling" the Edge ;)

Thanks. I use Formula F 5w30

, this oil which is recommended official the representative of Fpord in our region. As far as I know this oil especially for Ford is done by Сastrol, it is similar Сastrol Magnatek 5w30.

I have no problem of start of the engine in a frost, the engine is started well in a frost, I established temperature on MAX, AUTO. Yes, by my car remote start of Starline A93 is installed, established this summer and the expense in comparison with last winter increased by two liters). last winter the consumption of gasoline was 21 liters, this winter with remote start 23 liters). Pressure in tires I check every week 2.4 atmospheres

it is so specified in the user's guide.
Edited by EDST777

But you have the standard US/CA owner's handbook, or do you get a version specific for your region? I wonder if the fuels in your region dilute the engine oil significantly, needing the heavier spec of 30 instead of 20 used for US/CA 3.5L engines/fuels. Ecoboost engines are spec'd in the US/CA to run at 5W30, while in your region, seems to be 5W20. That is the opposite of what is being done here. VERY confusing.

I do like that the formula is full synthetic and is a Castrol product, still not sold on the 5W30 spec though. Maybe try something like the Mobil 1 0W30 product?

http://www.mobil1.co.uk/synthetic-engine-oils/bmw-approved-esp-0w-30.aspx?tabs=specifications#tabs

Typical Properties - Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30

Viscosity, ASTM D 445

cSt @ 40ºC 67.8

cSt @ 100ºC 12.2

Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 0.6

Phosphorous 0.08

Density @15º C kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.846

Total Base Number (TBN) ASTM D 2896 6.3

MRV at -30ºC 26900

Viscosity Index 165

HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @150ºC, ASTM D 4683 3.5

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 1

It's worth a shot, won't hurt anything. Ford thought 5W20 would work for Ecoboost engines in the US/CA, but updated it to 5W30 later on, when fuel dilution problems became apparent in GDI engines. They are not infallible, and you can experiment a little bit without significant risk. Manufacturers issue general specifications to cover a wide variety of conditions, but only YOU know what conditions YOUR vehicle will be facing. So you can tweak here & there, and oil is an easy one to try.

• Like 1

It's worth a shot, won't hurt anything. Ford thought 5W20 would work for Ecoboost engines in the US/CA, but updated it to 5W30 later on, when fuel dilution problems became apparent in GDI engines. They are not infallible, and you can experiment a little bit without significant risk. Manufacturers issue general specifications to cover a wide variety of conditions, but only YOU know what conditions YOUR vehicle will be facing. So you can tweak here & there, and oil is an easy one to try.

I have a standard user manual for the USA and there of course oil 5w20 is recommended. I will listen to your council and I will try 0W20 or 5w20. But one more feature, at me in the summer temperature of +25-+37 degrees therefore viscosity 30 was chosen still therefore.

So change it to 0W30 (depending on the lows) or 5W30 in the summertime, no problem. We do see temps 35C here or above, but it's not frequent. More like 28-30C summertime norm.

then at us the summer is similar on temperature, but I have a continental (dry) climate, but winters at us differ. My winter dry and usually frosty as I told usual temperature in the winter-10-25 C, but happens for few weeks the frost reaches-30 - - 34C. Thanks for recommendations, I understood, what for winter oil 0w30, and for summer 5w30 (or it is possible to try in the summer also 0w30, 5w20?). That you think of Motul oil, for example
MOTUL Specific 0w30 in comparison with Mobil1 ESP 0w30? Thanks.

Motul is well-liked, so is Mobil 1 as a brand. No idea how a specific product (such as 0W30) compares though. You can ask and see if they have product data sheets to give you more technical information.

Either 0W30 or 5W20 should work for summertime, along with 5W30. I am only mentioning the 30 weight oils in deference to the recommendation made by your local Ford representatives, especially since it is a full synthetic oil. Synthetic blends and synthetics tend to be "thinner", better flowing than the mineral/conventional oils of the same SAE viscosity rating.

A good article on motor oil:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

• Like 1

Thanks, very interesting article. If to assume, what Ford's representatives were mistaken, I can be guided by the service document where oil 5W20 is specified? I ask it also because Mobil1 ESP 0w-30 oil is at the moment not available to me, but other Mobil1 Fuel Economy 0w-30 oil is available, they have various parameters. This oil has other properties. Therefore I choose other suitable oils.

Can oil cause that big of a drop in mileage?

How did the plugs look when you took them out? What do the front side spark plugs look like now?

Have you tried using a different brand of gas? Different octane rating?

I shipped the car when there was a run of 78 000 km, I remembered fuel consumption which showed then the computer-16.7 liters on 100 kilometers. That is it was the gasoline consumption in the USA. In the first summer I had an expense 17.8, but later when I replaced oil the consumption of gasoline increased to 18 - 18.5 liters in the summer. Perhaps it is connected with about what we spoke, I chose oil 5w30, but not only it was the cause. Last year I replaced oil in PTU, it was black and dense. I changed oil in PTU two times, last year and in one year later, that is this year I replaced oil in PTU the second time. I did it for cleaning of PTU thus. I think it helped to reduce a gasoline consumption on 1 liter.
I replaced sparks two years ago, but they were in an excellent state and claims to them weren't, I made it for regulations. Now the odometer to show 127 000 km. I didn't examine a candle now, I will make it soon. I use the 92nd gasoline, but once a month I use the 95th octane number, the result is hardly noticeable. I tried to use different brands, it also yielded hardly noticeable result.