Fuel consumption 12.58 MPG in the city on AWD 2008, your thoughts?

EDST777

This year after replacement of oil in the engine, replacements of the filter of the engine, replacement of oil in PTU, cleanings of the conditioner and a radiator of poplar down I nullified the computer and quickly during the day received an expense of 16 liters on 100 km .no as I went!?) I very easily touched an accelerator pedal, is gentle as to the girl, turns of the engine didn't exceed 2500 revolutions per minute, and the speed of 30-40km/h, I tried not to stop on traffic lights and about a miracle and an expense fell to 16 liters on the computer. But unless it is so necessary to drive the car where the engine 3.5 liters and 265 horsepowers. I don't arrange sports arrivals, no, I go usually in the normal adequate mode, but then there will be also an expense much more than 16 liters on 100 km, and to go gently touching with an accelerator on 3 millimeters this same not correctly.

P.s. Yes, still a month ago I replaced the TSS sensor and a year ago I replaced oil

Valvoline Max Life

in transmission.

Edited by EDST777

Oil CAN cause a significant drop in mileage if it increases the work the engine has to do, and if it increases wear & tear on the engine. We have had a couple of instances recently on this forum where the vehicle experienced a noticeable drop in fuel economy (> 1 mpg) right after an oil change. Apparently a heavier than recommended viscosity oil had been installed. Fuel economy was quickly restored by an oil change with the correct viscosity oil.

Can oil cause that big of a drop in mileage?

How did the plugs look when you took them out? What do the front side spark plugs look like now?

Have you tried using a different brand of gas? Different octane rating?

Yes, it would be ok to be guided by the 5W20 spec listed in the owner's manual. The oil must be at least a synthetic blend if not a full synthetic. What I do NOT know is whether there are specific regulatory requirements from the EU that say the oil HAS to meet such&such specifications. I would at least find an oil that meets the specifications Ford has put in the owner's manual.

Thanks, very interesting article. If to assume, what Ford's representatives were mistaken, I can be guided by the service document where oil 5W20 is specified? I ask it also because Mobil1 ESP 0w-30 oil is at the moment not available to me, but other Mobil1 Fuel Economy 0w-30 oil is available, they have various parameters. This oil has other properties. Therefore I choose other suitable oils.

• Like 1

Well, thanks for the help! From everything told, I draw many conclusions. Now I will try to look for oil synthetic 5w20 any where technical admissions of Ford are specified, I will consult on you in a choice. I ask the first council already now: what do you think of oil 0w20 and 0w30 (what of them to prefer for winter being guided on specified 5w20 in the user's guide)?

I have at this time is only available oil
Liqui MOLY Special Tec AA 5W- 20, but I doubt it , what is your opinion? Specifications Ford : Ford WSS-M2C 930 -A
Ford WSS-M2C 925 -A
Ford WSS-M2C 945 -A
Chrysler MS- 6395
Daihatsu
Honda
Hyundai
Kia
Isuzu
Mazda
Mitsubishi DiaQueen
Nissan
Suzuki
Toyota
Subaru
GM

Liqui MOLY Special Tec AA 5W- 20, but I doubt it , what is your opinion? Specifications Ford : Ford WSS-M2C 930 -A
Ford WSS-M2C 925 -A
Ford WSS-M2C 945 -A
Chrysler MS- 6395
Daihatsu
Honda
Hyundai
Kia
Isuzu
Mazda
Mitsubishi DiaQueen
Nissan
Suzuki
Toyota
Subaru
GM

Ford WSS-M2C 925 -A
Ford WSS-M2C 945 -A
Chrysler MS- 6395
Daihatsu
Honda
Hyundai
Kia
Isuzu
Mazda
Mitsubishi DiaQueen
Nissan
Suzuki
Toyota
Subaru
GM
Ford WSS-M2C 925 -A
Ford WSS-M2C 945 -A
Chrysler MS- 6395
Daihatsu
Honda
Hyundai
Kia
Isuzu
Mazda
Mitsubishi DiaQueen
Nissan
Suzuki
Toyota
Subaru
GM
Edited by EDST777

Ford WSS-M2C 925 -A

Ford WSS-M2C 945 -A

Chrysler MS- 6395

Daihatsu

Honda

Hyundai

Kia

Isuzu

Mazda

Mitsubishi DiaQueen

Nissan

Suzuki

Toyota

Subaru

GM

There is our specification Ford WSS-M2C 930 -A , but what you think of this oil?

At the moment I want to compare castrol 5w20, formula F 5w30 and Liqui MOLY Special Tec AA 5W- 20 , Mobil1 0w30 advanced fuel economy. To me it is available only these oils with specifications Ford.

Edited by EDST777

Oil CAN cause a significant drop in mileage if it increases the work the engine has to do, and if it increases wear & tear on the engine. We have had a couple of instances recently on this forum where the vehicle experienced a noticeable drop in fuel economy (> 1 mpg) right after an oil change. Apparently a heavier than recommended viscosity oil had been installed. Fuel economy was quickly restored by an oil change with the correct viscosity oil.

Yes, it would be ok to be guided by the 5W20 spec listed in the owner's manual. The oil must be at least a synthetic blend if not a full synthetic. What I do NOT know is whether there are specific regulatory requirements from the EU that say the oil HAS to meet such&such specifications. I would at least find an oil that meets the specifications Ford has put in the owner's manual.

I understand that heavier oil is harder to push through the engine, but 12.58mpg? It's like he's running 90w gear oil in there....I'm still thinking that it *might * be an engine issue or a fuel problem. I have no idea as to the quality of Kazakhstani gas. I also understand the drop in mileage because of AWD, but once again, 12mpg? I'm going off that OP is doing the math on fill ups rather than relying on the on-board computer to give him a number.

Maybe stop and go city traffic is a lot different over there. He still does get 19mpg on the highway. Wouldn't oil drag that number down, too?

At least swapping out the oil shouldn't be that expensive and has the added benefit of a clean engine.

Since winter is already here, and it's the only 0w30 listed in blue, AND it's the only oil I've used personally, I'd go with the Mobil1 and see if that helps.

• Like 1

LiquiMoly is another well known name in engine lubricant circles. The LiquiMOLY Special Tec AA 5W- 20 meets the spec required by Ford, so if you wanted to try it, you should be fine. Took a bit of searching, but here is their technical data sheet:

https://pim.liqui-moly.de/pidoc/P000335/7657-SpecialTecAA5W-20-8.0-en.pdfLiqui-MOLY Special Tec AA 5W-20 Technical Data Sheet 7567.pdf

Mobil 1 ESP 0w30 technical data info here:

http://www.mobil.com/Belgium-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_ESP_0W-30.aspx

19mpg on the highway is pretty low to me. I get anywhere from 19-26 mpg (warm weather) or 17-23 mpg (cold weather) depending on terrain and of course driving style :) These are not long road trips either, but are calculated only on the highway portion of the trip.

Yeah, it could definitely be an engine problem. But some part of it could be caused by running incorrect oil for a long period of time. Maybe a boroscopic examination of the valves and intake will yield a clue.

Oxygen sensors are another item notorious for "killing" mileage.

• Like 1

Thanks. You consider, what on valves there has to be a deposit if oil wasn't truly chosen?

About oxygen sensors, I thought of it but if they aren't serviceable, it is noticeable visually, at the car exhaust gases accept gray color, the car works at strongly enriched mix or on the contrary doesn't receive gasoline in the necessary volume. It would be noticeable. But at me here everything is all right, the engine perfectly works, (knock knock knock on a tree), exhaust gases in norm, aren't present a soot, there is no oil deposit, there is no gray smoke, it gives the chance to judge, though directly that with oxygen sensors everything is all right and with valves. What do you think of my thoughts?

Yes our quality of gasoline concedes, but I am ready to allocate for it a half of gallon (2 liters of losses as much as possible).

How still it is possible without removing to make sensors of oxygen check, your thoughts? I have a cord of ELS of 27 6c044e4s-960.jpghttps://www.drive2.ru/l/3062634/ it ODBLink MX http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBDLink-MX-Bluetooth-OBD2-High-Speed-diagnostic-interface-UK-Distributor-/111837315869?hash=item1a0a06031d:g:9ZEAAOSwDNdVvHuV is similar, reads all tires, watches all sensors, there is a graphic type of supervision over sensors is it is possible to use at diagnostics? There are ideas as to make it? I don't know what parameters have to be in norm, but obtain data from these sensors I have opportunity by means of ELS 27 cord.

By the way about a cord, I wrote already that diagnostics by a cord doesn't show mistakes. At not the serviceable sensor of oxygen there are errors of diagnostics or it isn't possible? Any thoughts.

Edited by EDST777

Mobil 1 ESP 0w30 technical data info here:

http://www.mobil.com/Belgium-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_ESP_0W-30.aspx

I am afraid that Mobil1 Fuel Economy 0w30 and Mobil1 ESP 0w30 have different characteristics. I am afraid that it is various oils. I am not right? What your thoughts?

p.s.: And at present only Mobil1 Fuel Economy 0w30 is available to me from a line of Mobil.

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-advanced-fuel-economy

Specifications and approvals

Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy synthetic oil meets or exceeds the requirements of:

• API SN, SM, SL, SJ
  • ILSAC GF-5
  • Ford WSS-M2C947-A

Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy has the following builder approvals:

• General Motors Service Fill dexos1™ (license number GB1D0415015)

According to ExxonMobil, Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy is of the following quality level:

• General Motors GM 6094M
  • API CF
Technical details SAE Grade 0W-20 Viscosity, @ 100ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 8.7 Viscosity, @ 40ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 44.8 Viscosity Index 173 Sulfated Ash, wt% (ASTM D874) 0.8 HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC (ASTM D4683) 2.7 Phosphorous (ASTM D4951) 0.065 Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92) 224 Total Base Number (ASTM D2896) 8.8 MRV @ -40ºC (ASTM D4684) 9200 Density @15.6ºC g/ml (ASTM D4052) 0.841

View product data sheet for Mobil 1™ 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy

Edited by EDST777

You mean the grille? You can find examples on EBay.

Do you know if they change the gas formula between summer and winter? Possibly colder air = denser air, but lack of humidity might make things balance out. My average MPG is around 20 with most of it not dense city, nor highway.

Also AWD drops the MPG, too. I have a FWD. Do you know of anyone else in town with a similar Edge? What are their numbers?

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-advanced-fuel-economy

post-16857-0-59008900-1448941114_thumb.jpg

I found at myself in the city the German oil, which especially for Ford. It

TITAN SUPERSYN F ECO-B 5W-20

Approvals

• FORD M2C948-B

Recommendations of FUCHS

• ACEA A1/B1

• FORD M2C925-B

Standard characteristics

Parameter Unit Value Method

Density at 15 °C of g/ml 0,851 DIN 51757

ASTM 2,5 DIN ISO 2049 color

Temperature of flash of °C of 232 DIN ISO 2592

Dynamic viscosity at -30 °C мПа*с 3910 DIN 51398

Kinematic viscosity at 40 °C of mm2/с 42,2 DIN 51562-1

Kinematic viscosity at 100 °C of mm2/с 7,9 DIN 51562-1

Dynamic viscosity at 150 °C мПа*с 2,6 CEC L-036-90

Your opinion?

Edited by EDST777

The Mobil1 AFE 0W30 oil should be fine to try, if you want to try a 0W30 oil. Compare the specifications for the Motorcraft 5w20 synthetic blend oil to see how close (or not) the individual characteristics (viscosity, density etc.) are. Apart from relying strictly on the Ford specification Mxxxxxx or Wxxxxxx, these characteristics will tell you if the oil is what you are looking for.

Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W20 PDS.pdf

SAE Grade 5W-20
API Service GF-5/SN
Specific Gravity @ 60°F (15.6°C) 0.860
Density, lb/gal 7.17
Flash Point, COC, °C (°F) 206 (402)
Viscosity:
cSt @ 100°C 8.7
cSt @ 40°C 50
cP @ -30°C 5,200
Viscosity Index 164
Pour Point, °C (°F) <-42 (<-44)

So, comparing the AFE 0W30, you see that the AFE:

A] viscosity in general is higher at different temperatures, indicating better use for hotter climates (e.g., summertime in your area)

B] viscosity index is slightly higher, indicating better consistency throughout the operating range

C] flash point is higher, also good (more heat stable)

C] pour point is lower, so will work in even lower temperatures than the Motorcraft oil

In summary, I would prefer NOT to use this oil, especially in COLD temperatures, simply because of the viscosity. Would be great for HOT temperatures though. COLD temperatures, the Motorcraft oil wins.

• Like 1

Comparing the Motorcraft to the Titan product, Titan's:

A] viscosity is lower, which is want for COLD temperature performance; significantly lower at -30C than Motorcraft so :thumbsup: for this

B] flash point is higher

I would like to know pour point and all the other goodies that US oil specs provide, but on the surface, the TITAN SUPERSYN F ECO-B 5W-20 seems like a no-brainer. I haven't read any reviews of this oil, though, so I don't know more.

Remember, it's not all about flow, it's about how well the oil protects the engine, which involves additive packs. The only tests I have seen for wear & tear are those flouted by Amsoil, and I don't know if those are impartial, being conducted by Amsoil. Not comprehensive by any means. For example:

http://www.amsoil.com/performancetests.aspx

A Study of SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oils (G3115)

http://www.amsoil.com/international/distributor/

Looks like you should give the Titan Supersyn a go first, see how it performs. If you can find Mobil1 AFE 0W20 (ask the distributor/retailer), I'd try that as well.

• Like 1

Thanks I think also. I am adjusted on Titan oil, that factor is also important that it isn't so known and has less fakes. But I didn't find a viscosity index on this oil and amounts of ashes. But I found information that this PAO oil (pure synthetics), unlike Mobil1 AFE which seems hydrocracking. Nevertheless argument.

Edited by EDST777

• 7 months later...

Good luck, eager to hear how your Edge does with the new oils :)

With new oil, the expense has decreased by two liters, I think 5w-30 gave more protection to the engine on the highway, and it is good to apply it in the summer on the highway, but in the city it is necessary for us 5w-20, it does a gasoline consumption less. Now I wish to clear for prevention of a nozzle how you think?