Plasti-dipped grill

rsto

Im planning on plasti-dipping my grill on my 2013 and had a few questions for those of you that have already done it. First off, how difficult is it to take off the license plate bracket so I can just do all the grill instead of around that? and secondly how many coats did you apply when you did it? I did the edge logo on the back hatch so I'm familiar with the process and how to apply it, just don't wanna screw up on the grill since its such a large part of the vehicle....any feedback or other tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks

• 3 months later...

I just plasti dipped my grille this past weekend. I left everything on, just masked off everything I didn't want dipped. I was also extra careful to make sure all paths to the radiator were thoroughly masked to keep the plasti dip off the radiator. I ended up doing 5 coats.

I finished my plasti dip project this weekend. I easily removed the grill to spray. I'm happy with how it came out but I'm going to try and touch up the white next week. I have a car wash subscription that I use during the Winter to get the mag chloride off my car. Hopefully it holds, we will see. It feels durable and I've watched several videos of cars going through the car wash after being dipped and they were fine. post-33784-0-73875300-1421609394_thumb.jpgpost-33784-0-58396700-1421609466_thumb.jpgpost-33784-0-31974500-1421609583_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hello,

I posted earlier and asked how well plasti dip held up. Through reading other posting I gather it holds up really well.

Now for another question. I see ads for Performix brand plasti dip and Eastwood brand plasti dip. Which brand is better? Or are they one in the same?

Ā 

Thanks

Larry

Northern, In.

how did you do the emblems? did you mask them off? im assuming they are pinned into the car as they are in other ford models?

I used newspaper to tape around the outside of the emblem then sprayed over it with 5 coats. After it dried I peeled the plasti out of the inside. I also did my Ford emblem and it turned out well.

post-33784-0-23940400-1422988874_thumb.jpg

I used newspaper to tape around the outside of the emblem then sprayed over it with 5 coats. After it dried I peeled the plasti out of the inside. I also did my Ford emblem and it turned out well.

Ā 

Awesome! thank you. Ill have to give it a shot. Was it hard to keep the part you pulled out of the middle from taking the side of the emblem plasti with it?

Awesome! thank you. Ill have to give it a shot. Was it hard to keep the part you pulled out of the middle from taking the side of the emblem plasti with it?

No, I used a toothpick to trace the letters on the inside and it came right off while staying tight on the letters. So far driving through snow and getting dirt all over hasn't affected it at all.

No, I used a toothpick to trace the letters on the inside and it came right off while staying tight on the letters. So far driving through snow and getting dirt all over hasn't affected it at all.

perfect! cant wait to try this on mine. Im going for grill, wheels and now emblems. Thanks for the tips!

Just wanted to give an update on how my dip is holding up. In CT we've had a ton of storms lately and was wondering if the salt/snow/ice would have a negative impact. Just went through the touchless car wash and none of dip came off. I also used the toothpick method for the insides of the letters. TJames557, let me know how you do the rims that is my first project in the spring.