Effects of removing bumper brace due to hidden hitch.

I am looking in purchasing a hidden style hitch. But all types require you to tuck in the center bumper brace inside the bumper. I really want the look of a hidden hitch but afraid the bumper will be flapping in the wind due to removing the brace. Can anybody give me their experiences with your hitch and removing the bumper brace. Thanks

I had a hidden Hitch brand hitch installed on my Edge Sport last week (It was backordered over a month for the SPORT)

Yes the center brace is tucked inside the bumper.

Good new is...no detectable rattling and cannot tell that it is not connected to the bumper....The rear bumper is still firm all the way across !

btw...the Hidden Hitch was definitely worth the wait....the only thing showing is the square hitch tube, tail light plug, and the chain hooks!

post-31129-0-26041500-1410452775_thumb.jpg

Edited by rwf78155

I too was concerned about the bumper fluddering in the wind at high speed without that factory bracket screwed in. Ford put a bracket there for a reason? Anyway I wanted a hidden hitch no matter what so I thought when installing it, I will see if there is anything I can do to help compensate, as opposed to just leaving it there unattached. This was months ago now when I installed it, but I beleive I ended up attaching a plastic tie strap through the screw hole in the bracket, and wrapping the strap around part of the hitch. Essentially the bracket is now fixed to the hitch "so to speak" and very secure just as if it was screwed into the car frame. If the plastic strap breaks at some point (it ain't gonna last forever) it's easy to just wrap another strap around it.

As others have mentioned I likely didn't need to do that, but it only took an extra minute to do and gave me some piece of mind.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your input Uncoiler. Did you use a ziptie? I may just do this also when I install or pay someone to do it for me. I am a kinda of person who is better safe than sorry.

Sorry for the late reply as I have not been here in a while. You are correct, I used a medium sized ziptie.