Is the Tow Package Necessary?

I have a '11 Edge SEL AWD and have been looking into purchasing a waverunner lately but before I did I wanted to make sure that I would be able to tow it safely. I know that Ford rates the towing capacity @ 3500lbs and the waverunner + trailer is only going to be about 1000 lbs so that shouldn't be a problem.

My question is do I need to change anything on my Edge to be able to tow this safely? The Ford tow package includes an upgraded radiator, cooling fans and trailer sway control on top of the receive and wiring harness. Is the cooling and sway control add-ons truly necessary? I'm thinking not but figured I'd do my research before investing.

Thanks,

-Russ

• 4 weeks later...

I took my boat and trailer out for a test run on the highway - no modified cooling package. 90 deg outside temp. Runs just fine and the guage didn't budge. the tow package only adds more engine cooling as far as I can see. I check engine temp when I pull over and use a infra red gun as I don't trust that digital temp guage.

Boat weight was 2200# plus trailer add 600# so I had 2800# estimated. best tow was using manual in 5th gear to have enough power. I was towing on flat florida highways. I will still add fan and radiator to improve but as-is - its not so bad. I plan at some point to get a 1400# 7 x 12 trailer to haul 1-2 bikes from Florida to NH in summer next year. so I will be pushing to 3500#.

2012 Ford Edge SEL with Ford factory hitch with Ford wiring kit but NO cooling upgrades.

Bought the Edge like this thinking it had the factory tow. I'm ok with it as - is but will still experiment adding bigger rad and tow fans

Edited by paradiddle1

• 5 weeks later...

I have the 2011 Ford Edge LImited FWD only. So, with the comments stated, the tow package isn't necessary required as long as the towing capacity stays under 2000 lbs? I sold my tacoma truck for the Edge and now I am researching my options for a hitch and harness assembly to tow my Sea Doo Ski (1000 +/- 200 lbs). I am assuming that cutting the rear lower panel for proper hitch installation depends on the brand/type of hitch. I would definitely prefer not to modify the rear panel for installation purposes. Suggestions and recommendations are greatly appreciated.