Replacement floor mats (how to combat that Canadian salt?)

roadkill401

I have been driving a Ford Escape for the past 6 year and just about rotted a hole in the drivers side sills from the dreaded Canadian winter salt machine. Every spring the carpets on the driver side are white and crusty from the salt off the roads. I have used one of those pant saver car mats that catch the melting snow off your shoes but don't fit all that well.

I have just purchased a 2013 SEL model and am hoping to better protect my investment up front. Can anyone recommend a good made fitted floor mat that will work at protecting the inside of my new Edge?

Any links would be helpful. I am in Canada, so it would help as well if the products were available up here. But I do live close to the US boarder and can drive down there if cost or availability would make it advantageous.

Thanks.

Matt.

Check out weather tech floor liners and husky weather beater floor liners. Either is those will do that job...I prefer the weather techs, but either are excellent and fit well. Just make sure you're looking at the floor liners and not the mats-the liners go up the side wall and protect much better.

I have the same issue here in Cleveland!

Edited by CleBoy

Well, it turns out that WeatherTech is just 15 minutes down the street from where I live.. How convenient. so a simple phone call and they had a set of liners waiting for me to pick up from the showroom. They fit like a charm and I am sure that the spills and salt stains are not going to be a bit more a thing from the past.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I'll be buying WeatherTech for next winter season for sure after seeing the fit on my friends F-150.

Just a little something for thought.

I've been laying old newspapers under my matts for years in every vehicle I owned. I lay winter matts on top of the papers. If any salt brine water solution makes it by the matts at least the papers pick up and dissipate the salt into the few layers rather than make it to the carpet.

Two things to note:

1) Don't use HUGE amounts of newspapers. Too many can sometimes inhibit the motion of the pedals, in particular the accelerator as it is usually close to the the rise in the floor near the centre of the vehicle.

2) IT IS A PAIN IN THE A$%@ to change the papers every so often during the colder days of winter when they become laden with moisture.

It's all worth it though. I've never needed to clean salt crust from any of my vehicles carpets.

• 7 months later...

Caved and bought the Weather yTech laser fit mats from Can Tire. They seem to fit like a pair of Fruit of the Looms new.

I'll letcha know how they perform as the weather comes on.

Just don't forget to throw a couple of newspapers on top of the mats to protect them.

'just kidding' LOL. You will find, like the rest of us have, they are the perfect solution to road salt and winter slush.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the all season floor mats from Ford twice now, work ok, take them out in the summer months and only use in the winter

Salt stains are an easy fix, put a couple of cups of vinegar into a gallon of water then wipe the stains with an old towel that has been soaked with the solution. Leave the doors or windows open for a couple of hours on a sunny day to get rid of the smell, mats look like new

• Like 1

Salt stains are an easy fix, put a couple of cups of vinegar into a gallon of water then wipe the stains with an old towel that has been soaked with the solution. Leave the doors or windows open for a couple of hours on a sunny day to get rid of the smell, mats look like new

Great information. I cleaned my Weathertech last spring with Dawn and water. But left the mostly clean and dull. I'll try vinegar and water next spring.

Great information. I cleaned my Weathertech last spring with Dawn and water. But left the mostly clean and dull. I'll try vinegar and water next spring.

I find that when I clean the Weathertech mats it looks like I have worn through the plastic to a white base. Since they are one piece that is impossible, but it seems like I have worn through the color. I have tried several products, but I am going to try to vinegar and water mix.

• 2 months later...

Weathertechs Do Just What They Claim. Work great. BUT, when you have a swimming pool of water on either front side, trying to get the matts out is difficult without spillage. The plastic (rubber, silicone) whatever gets hard in the cold climates and doesn't bend as well. Not a big issue, diligence to empty the matts more often can avoid this.

The same goes for the Weathertech matt that spans the entire back in front of the bench. It too can be a test of getting it out without spillage.

AND, if the water dries up, you end up with crusty scales of salt etc. Like very thin fine peanut brittle.

I'd still buy the matts though.

Weathertechs Do Just What They Claim. Work great. BUT, when you have a swimming pool of water on either front side, trying to get the matts out is difficult without spillage. The plastic (rubber, silicone) whatever gets hard in the cold climates and doesn't bend as well. Not a big issue, diligence to empty the matts more often can avoid this.

The same goes for the Weathertech matt that spans the entire back in front of the bench. It too can be a test of getting it out without spillage.

AND, if the water dries up, you end up with crusty scales of salt etc. Like very thin fine peanut brittle.

I'd still buy the matts though.

WeatherTechs are awsome....just think where all that water and salt would go with just the all weather mats from ford....Id guess half would be in the carpet and not the mat. They are a must for us Canadians.