Lurked a bit, and decided to join.

BergerKing

Hello from the middle of the country! My name is Jim, and we bought our Orange Crush Pearl Metallic 08 Edge last year.

We drove one back in 07, a rental, to my wife's 20 year reunion. We wanted one after that trip, but things went banana wacky, and we had to put it off. When we saw the copper-colored model, we both gasped, and knew that one day, we'd love to have that very color.

So, when the 97 Lincoln Town Car started getting finicky, I sent my wife to our local dealership, and by strange coinkydink, there was one being traded in as she started looking. It was splattered with mud and dust, but for her, it was love at first sight.

So, the car had barely been assigned a stock number, but she drove it, dirt and all, and sent me pictures. I gave her the thumbs-up, and we were finally Edge owners.

It was really neat to see after I got back home, that the original window sticker for the car was tucked into the back of the owners manual, and she was first sold in Omaha, NE. She's had 3 prior owners, all of whom took really good care of her.

So, that's our Edge-troduction!

Hello from the middle of the country! My name is Jim, and we bought our Orange Crush Pearl Metallic 08 Edge last year.

We drove one back in 07, a rental, to my wife's 20 year reunion. We wanted one after that trip, but things went banana wacky, and we had to put it off. When we saw the copper-colored model, we both gasped, and knew that one day, we'd love to have that very color.

So, that's our Edge-troduction!

Hey there BergerKing,

I'm Todd, one of a few verified Ford customer service representatives here on the forum. My job is to answer any vehicle questions you might have, and to look into any concerns as well. You may reach me via PM, and I also scour the forums for threads where I might be able to lend a hand.

Love the pic of your Edge, BTW!

Todd

Edited by FordService
  • Like 1

Dropped in a K&N standard filter, right off the bat. Have planned upgrades pending, new suspension parts, ceramic brakes, and a few other tweaks are in the works.

Debating going to a dark grille, and sport taillights and headlights, but haven't decided.

I can understand the side of the K&N air filter, and it is something that I am looking into doing myself. I am however intrigued about your thoughts for going with ceramic breaks. The first question that pops into my head is "WHY? What will that give you?".

Now I have owned cars that I have often pondered the engineering and if the designers had ever bothered to drive what they had created and experienced the sheer terror of trying to stop and thought, if only they would have put in larger rotors and pads. (my 96 ford explorer comes to mind) But my edge clearly does not fall into that category. The rotors and pads are massive, and I would never see myself wanting to drive this car fast enough to warrant needing larger or more efficient breaking systems. This is not a Ferrari or a Lamborghini by any stretch of the imagination.

So what would ceramic breaks give that are not there on the standard system? The thought behind ceramic pads was that in stopping at extreme speeds, your regular pads would vaporize as the rotor heated up and breaking would fade. Do you find that in your driving patterns your rotors are turning a nice cherry red from use? Or is there an Autobahn in the Mississippi Valley Region that i have been missing where taking my edge up to redline is possible? That would be rather cool and worth the trip out.

I get the thought of playing with the suspension to get rid of the body roll on cornering, but my solution was to just take it a bit slower and have fun with the roll you get. Getting rid of that mass of chrome up front also might be something that I will consider.. But please let me in on the ceramic breaks. i am very curious.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we have a lot of hills in the middle of Missouri, and I'm actually considering using them for personal preference, having used them before. They tended to be a bit cleaner, and quieter than organics.

And while regular driving, stock brakes do the job well, put a ton of weight or more behind the vehicle, add hills and such, that extra grab and heat disappation can be appreciated.