Grinding, brushing sound from left rear.

cnyle

Our 2011 Edge has developed a sound in the left rear wheel that sounds almost as if 2 pieces of metal were being kinda brushed against each other. I pulled the wheel and checked the pads, they are worn, but not completely. Also with the wheel off the ground it has a bit of drag to it, but I cant really hear the same sound it makes when its on the ground. I had my wife drive around while I had the rear door opened listening, and one thing that confuses me, if she drags the brakes, the sound is still there, brush brush brush. IF it were a pad, wouldn't the sound be a solid grinding sound? If you've ever heard a rotor being turned on a lathe that's what it sounds like.

Our 2011 Edge has developed a sound in the left rear wheel that sounds almost as if 2 pieces of metal were being kinda brushed against each other. I pulled the wheel and checked the pads, they are worn, but not completely. Also with the wheel off the ground it has a bit of drag to it, but I cant really hear the same sound it makes when its on the ground. I had my wife drive around while I had the rear door opened listening, and one thing that confuses me, if she drags the brakes, the sound is still there, brush brush brush. IF it were a pad, wouldn't the sound be a solid grinding sound? If you've ever heard a rotor being turned on a lathe that's what it sounds like.

Guten Morgen cnyle,

I recommend making an appointment with your local Ford Dealer. When you do so, please send me a PM with your full name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealership name; I'll look into options on my end.

Todd

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I wanted to come back and update my post here. I replaced my pads and rotors on the rear and the sound went away for about a week, but it did come back. Right now my Edge is sitting at the dealer and after a full day of them working on it, they have no clue as to what is causing the problem. This is very troubling to me, how can the people that built a vehicle not be able to figure out whats wrong with it?

I've been in touch with Fordservice here, they've put me in touch with the regional rep, I didn't hear from her yesterday, so we'll see what tomorrow holds. I lost alot of confidence on Wednesday while I was waiting on my wife to arrive at the dealer with the car. Someone was picking up their truck after having something done to it, but I watch the owner pop the hood, and they reach and pick up a pretty big piece of black plastic that didn't get reattached lol. The service guy came out and worked on it in the lot. So I'm not holding out much hope things will be any better tomorrow, but I will post back.

X2 on the sticking slide pin.

The pins need a special high temp Ford grease. Without the grease the caliper will not slide away from the rotor after the brakes are released and the pad will rub on the rotor and make that rubbing, grinding noise.

Do you use the parking brake? Is that properly adjusted?

Well, as per the professionals at my Ford service dept, my new rotors that I out on are now warped. So they are going to install new rotors and pads to correct the problem, again. I have no idea what else to do at this point other than to let them do it. But when the sound returns in a few days atleast I can go back on them this time. I will keep this post updated.

From my experience, the grease that usually comes with the pads is anti-squeal. When dry it sets up "rubbery" to prevent pad occillation on the heavier parts of a brake caliper.

The round slide pin grease is not the same. That grease should remain tacky, only a thin coat is required. If carefully removed and kept clean, it should not require any grease at all. Depending on where you live, corrosion may attack the surface of the pins, if the surface is pitted, they should be replaced (and greased). The grease also extends the life of the pins by preventing water from coming into contact with the surface of the pin to create a corrosion cell.

The rear brake also contains a drum parking brake inside the rotor. Improperly adjusted, that brake will drag also.

As a rule, I always replace my pads and rotors as a set. I've only done one set (front and back pairs) in 130,000 miles. At the time I changed them out, my outer left rear pad was metal on metal, that was an awful sound. The brakes don't wear evenly and at the end of the pad life, it seems to go quicker. Ford doesn't have a brake pad wear sensor like BMW!

Since I live in Cali where we have 90F Thanksgivings, my slide pins were not corroded. Your weather and road conditions may be different.

I'd look at that parking brake and see if that's the culprit. Maybe it started right after you used the parking brake when you washed your car?

Good luck.

The dealership experience can be as mixed as they come. If they continue to be clueless, and won't pull Ford into the loop, I would start a dialog with FordService on here, or with Customer Relations directly to do so. Or if you have another dealer nearby that you are willing to try ...

Thanks for the mention, WWWPerfA_ZN0W.

Enjoy the Thanksgiving leftovers! :drool:

I've been in touch with Fordservice here, they've put me in touch with the regional rep, I didn't hear from her yesterday, so we'll see what tomorrow holds. I lost alot of confidence on Wednesday while I was waiting on my wife to arrive at the dealer with the car. Someone was picking up their truck after having something done to it, but I watch the owner pop the hood, and they reach and pick up a pretty big piece of black plastic that didn't get reattached lol. The service guy came out and worked on it in the lot. So I'm not holding out much hope things will be any better tomorrow, but I will post back.

Hello Cnyle,

I replied to your PM, and please check your inbox.

Have a wonderful weekend! :)

Tricia

After 2 days and $1000 they finally found the problem. It seems that 2 of my 20" chrome clad wheels were somehow causing the noise? After replacing the rear brakes, they call today and say that the original sound had been fixed, but now we had a squeaking sound coming from the front? We never had a squeaking sound coming from the front before. We go to the dealer, and they had put the rear wheels on the front. I knew this, because when I did the rear brakes originally I had cleaned the backs of the wheels and I seen that as soon as I pulled up. I tell them that the sound is now on the front, maybe because my rear wheels are now on the front, hmm. It turns out, they had to replace 2 of the wheels, Ford payed for 65% of the cost, which I guess since the Edge has 50,000 miles, its a pretty good deal. I still am a bit sour that I had to pay for a brake job that was not causing me a problem in the first place, but the sound is gone, and not to have to hear my wife complain about it every time we go somewhere is worth the cost lol.

• Like 1

They didn't say exactly what was wrong, other than they had some problems in the past with them. We drove the car when we first got to the dealer today, I went close by and got out and had my wife drive slow so I could walk beside and listen. Where they had move the wheels to the front the sound was there now. After replacing the wheel we drove it again, and the sound was gone. We drove it for around 80 miles this evening and so far so good. I really hope this takes care of it.

• Like 1