PTU leaking after axle replacement

iamovertheedge2

We have had our 2007 edge for 7 years and it has been a good vehicle up to recently. Had the 100,000 warranty, and at 100,800 miles had a wheel baring go bad, and was repaired at a local dealer at my cost. Then at 118,000 miles a "tone ring" something that I never knew about cracked and caused our breaks to go nuts. The dealer tells me that the ring is about a $10 item but because it is pressed into the axle, the entire right front axle assembly must be replaced. So at nearly $600 in cost I am back on the road only to notice a very slight vibration that got worst as the days went by. Called the dealership and explained the issue and was give a time to come in one week later. Took Edge in today and was told that the transfer case was leaking and needed replaced. Said this happened a lot at any time over 80,000 miles. Also the wheel baring on the axle that was replaced was bad and needed replaced. Cost nearly $1600. My theory is that the transfer case or PTU is leaking because the it was damaged when the axle was replaced, not sure about the wheel baring. So is there any recourse or way to prove the damage occurred during the previous repair. I watched a Ford PTU seal replacement video and it stressed how easy the plastic seal could be damaged and how a seal protector had to be used in the replacement. This made me even more suspicious of the damage. Suggestions are welcome.

We have had our 2007 edge for 7 years and it has been a good vehicle up to recently. Had the 100,000 warranty, and at 100,800 miles had a wheel baring go bad, and was repaired at a local dealer at my cost. Then at 118,000 miles a "tone ring" something that I never knew about cracked and caused our breaks to go nuts. The dealer tells me that the ring is about a $10 item but because it is pressed into the axle, the entire right front axle assembly must be replaced. So at nearly $600 in cost I am back on the road only to notice a very slight vibration that got worst as the days went by. Called the dealership and explained the issue and was give a time to come in one week later. Took Edge in today and was told that the transfer case was leaking and needed replaced. Said this happened a lot at any time over 80,000 miles. Also the wheel baring on the axle that was replaced was bad and needed replaced. Cost nearly $1600. My theory is that the transfer case or PTU is leaking because the it was damaged when the axle was replaced, not sure about the wheel baring. So is there any recourse or way to prove the damage occurred during the previous repair. I watched a Ford PTU seal replacement video and it stressed how easy the plastic seal could be damaged and how a seal protector had to be used in the replacement. This made me even more suspicious of the damage. Suggestions are welcome.

Hello iamovertheedge2,

Ā 

Your opinions and feedback are valuable to us. Iā€™ll gladly document your dealer experience. Please PM your full name, VIN, current mileage, dealer, details of experience, and best contact number.

Ā 

Iā€™ll make sure itā€™s noted!

Ā 

Sounds like the motherlode right there! Ugh. Don't know how you can prove damage during installation, but you can certainly call upon Ford Customer Service (Todd/Tricia) to help you out. Certainly seems from the timing of events that you have a plausible case.

Thanks for the mention, WWWPerfA_ZN0W.

Ā 

Have a great day! :)

Ā 

Tricia

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

OK, how do I send you a personal message? Give me your direct phone or e-mail. After having the PTU replaced I still have a noticeable vibration in the front end and very noticeable when the breaks are applied. I requested to have the old PTU and they were reluctant at first to give it to me but they did. The white plastic seal for the axle is missing, how convenient. They said the PTU was leaking on the top, I see no place where it could leak at the top, had to be coming from the axle. Anyway I don't want to even bother going back to this dealer. The car was vibrating when I drove off the lot. Have dropped around $2500 already and getting tired of paying for their mistakes. Get back to me with a way to reach you. Thanks.

This is post #5, so is anyone paying attention. I would like to get this crap repair job straightened out so I need some advice. If this don't work I will just walk up the street and speak with one of my attorney buddies and sue the dealership. Would hate to have to do that but this is turning sour really fast. Talk to me Todd. Thank you,

Please send your info to FordService via PM as advised in post #3. Hope they can help you out!

Youā€™re a great team player, WWWPerfA_ZN0W!

Ā 

Ā 

OK, I sent PM to Ford along with my e-mail. Now waiting on a reply with some sound advice. I will keep followers posted at to what happens.

iamovertheedge2,

Ā 

I sent you a response to your inquiry via PM. Please check your inbox. :)

Ā 

Have a great day!

Ā 

Tricia

• 4 months later...

The PTU looks to be a common fault with the Edge. I just had ours replaced in our 07 SEL last week. $1700 bill! When I contacted Ford, and informed them that I'm seeing this part going out on many Edge forums, they told me to let others with this problem know that they need to contact Ford. When you do contact Ford give your VIN# and it will be logged with Ford and the NTSB. He also advised to keep repair receipts in case Ford does in the future decide to help with repairs.

• Like 2